No announcement yet.

Choti Surrounds with 3D Printed/Sand-filled enclosures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im feeling like the bottom might be the achilles heel of the design.

Comment

Originally posted by DrewsBrews View Post
      Im feeling like the bottom might be the achilles heel of the design.
      Please elaborate?
      Form does not follow function
      Form is simultaneous to function

Comment

You did so well with the bracing and deadening of all other sides, then the bottom is a thin flat sheet of plastic (as far as I can tell). Seems like that would need some extra deadening to keep it from acting like a PR at it's resonant frequencies. Maybe pinewood derby car weight plates or shaped steel plates attached with 3m double sided tape. Something like that would add a lot of damped mass... hopefully without awkwardly sticking out the bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by DrewsBrews View Post
          You did so well with the bracing and deadening of all other sides, then the bottom is a thin flat sheet of plastic (as far as I can tell). Seems like that would need some extra deadening to keep it from acting like a PR at it's resonant frequencies. Maybe pinewood derby car weight plates or shaped steel plates attached with 3m double sided tape. Something like that would add a lot of damped mass... hopefully without awkwardly sticking out the bottom.
          The design of the base isn't finished yet, I'll be adding more ribs, and then filling it with sand as well, with a thin layer of epoxy to seal it up.

Comment

• DrewsBrews
            DrewsBrews commented
            Editing a comment
            Gotcha. I reread your previous post and must have misunderstood it the first time.

For the base, I decided to simply make it solid (rather than filling with sand)... I also raised some ribs around the crossover components, which will make mounting the components a breeze, and add extra rigidity to the part.

Comment

Working...
          X