SR-71 recycle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SR-71 recycle

Invader Zim sold me his used Zaph SR-71 parts. He pilfered the big coils off the XOs, for his Interocitor? I found this bargain knotty alder veneer, a really nice salmon color. I got the coils and ports from you know where. I have a pair of Denovo .56 cu. ft. flat packs sitting for a while in my basement. I'll do a short build thread, it's a pretty ordinary build, I think the veneer will look real nice. Coming soon.

Edit: The veneer is pinker than the picture.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0008 (2).JPG Views:	0 Size:	467.3 KB ID:	1467251

What is the nominal impedance of those Revelators, DJG?

I have an 8 ohm pair in the closet so I am watching you right now . . .

Comment

• djg
      djg commented
      Editing a comment
      Those are 8 ohm 7" Seas Prestige reed cone woofers, Seas 27tdfc tweeters.

http://zaphaudio.com/SR71.html

• Steve Lee
      Steve Lee commented
      Editing a comment
      Oops!

Been reviewing too many driver specs and forgetting to eat properly of late . . .

Keep us posted - those look great for the money.

Keep the projects rolling! Per usual, I'll keep an eye on this.
    My Builds - Vigor (Nola Brio Knockoff) - Overnight Sensations w/ Voxel - Speedsters in surplus boxes - Zaph B3N's in bamboo - Classix II in BR-1 cabinets - Dual TPA3116 D2 amp in an old music box - Mariposas

Comment

• djg
      djg commented
      Editing a comment
      I wanted to build one of Zaph's Seas 2 ways for a while, couldn't pass up the deal.

This is one of those sad and happy moments.
    I'm happy to see them getting new life but sad at the same time because it reminds me they are gone. The SR71 are impressive speakers and I do miss them. I just didn't have a place to put another set of speakers. Swapping them out with other speakers got annoying with trying to get either pair setup just right each time and the subwoofer setup for each (although, depending on the music the SR71s are pretty impressive without a sub). I didn't plan far enough ahead on that project; but the build did help keep me sane when everything was closed.
    I think you will be quite impressed with the final product. They played surprisingly loud and clean on a 6 watt tube amp.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	temp.jpg Views:	0 Size:	101.3 KB ID:	1467392

Comment

• djg
      djg commented
      Editing a comment
      "a place to put another pair of speakers". LOL. I need more speakers like I need another hole in my head. Nice amp.

I always wanted to listen to a set of those. The 27TDFC is my favorite tweeter, and I always seem to have a soft spot for high quality paper coned midbass drivers. Zaph's Viva/Silver Flute design is still one of my favorite speakers, and these presumably do that same job, but better all around.

Comment

• djg
      djg commented
      Editing a comment
      My other pending project is 3 of cjd's RS150 MTMs, also using that tweeter. For HT. I think I'll do the SR71s first.

""a place to put another pair of speakers". LOL. I need more speakers like I need another hole in my head. Nice amp."

I started looking at doing a veneer on them but one speaker had the tweeter off by about 1/8" so then I was going to rebuild that one and I had messed with unwinding the one inductor a bit so I needed to order new ones. I had all the stuff in various shopping carts and realized what I was going to continue spending on 'extra' speakers and decided it was time to move on.

Comment

• djg
      djg commented
      Editing a comment
      I've conquered several addictions but speaker building is still running rampant.

I don't see the problem here.
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Working...
    X