Apple themed Overnight Sensation MTM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Apple themed Overnight Sensation MTM

Test fitted the tweeter in the laser cut black acrylic. Fits in perfect. Lasers are awesome. It didnt quite make it on the test piece, slightly to small from the PE specs so I expanded it 1% and now it fits perfect. The black blends much better than my camera phone can capture in this picture. I will have better shots of some test fitting of parts soon.

Hoping to receive my MDF pieces this week and get started fitting them together, and finish these speakers this month before it gets too cold to paint!

Comment

It got down to single digits last week and it's been 50+ for the past few days. And we normally have a foot of snow 2 weeks ago already... wierd weather this year...

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
      return to the source
      leviathan system thread
      deadhorse thread
      shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

These are gonna look killer when they're done dude.
        ~Mark

Stuff I've builded http://techtalk.parts-express.com/co...lies/smile.png

Comment

Nice work! I appreciate perfection in a finished product and it looks like these will be stellar when you're done. Don't compromise on any aspect of cosmetics and you'll be glad you went through all the effort!

Comment

Anyone have suggestions on how to fill the rough poreus edges and seams on MDF? I have heard a few theories but nothing that seemed conclusive.

I also read that I should use an oil based primer so the MDF does not warp etc. Is it ok to use an automotive spray paint on top of that? And what should I use to top coat it to have a flat finish?

Comment

Originally posted by pcmofo View Post
              Anyone have suggestions on how to fill the rough poreus edges and seams on MDF? I have heard a few theories but nothing that seemed conclusive.

I also read that I should use an oil based primer so the MDF does not warp etc. Is it ok to use an automotive spray paint on top of that? And what should I use to top coat it to have a flat finish?
              While I haven't done it, I repeatedly read here on the boards that 50/50 wood glue and water makes a good sealer prior to sand and primer. Two or three applications on the edges. Once sealed, it won't matter what kind of paint you use.
              ~Mark

Stuff I've builded http://techtalk.parts-express.com/co...lies/smile.png

Comment

I just rub straight Elmer's (white) School Glue into the edges. I use my fingers, and use a bead on the edge as my amount. If I need more, I add more, but just enough to cover it is enough. Make sure you hit the adjacent edge and about 1/4" to the other side of it to harden it for paint or veneer.

Later,
                Wolf
                "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                https://app.photobucket.com/u/wolf_teeth_speaker

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

I have been working on this project, though my infrequent updates suggest otherwise. I have talked to my soon to be father in law, he has used a biscuit cutter and cut all of the backs, sides, tops, and bottoms as well as biscuit them to fit together. And they fit together quite tightly. He told me "I have other stuff to do so I will finish them this week" So I am expecting to have them glued and ready for testing by this weekend.

We hit a snag with all of the T-nuts. I measured for the bolt sizes then later decided to go with the T-nuts, not enlarging the holes to account for the T-nut larger diameter. He is recutting the front baffles with the larger holes and trying again. We may use the scrap pieces to support the rear end of the porting if it seems unstable, so not a total waist.

In the mean time, I picked up a used compressor, fixed it up, and bought a spray gun for it. I am planning on giving these speakers an automotive grade finish.

Since I want to make sure everything looks perfect for the fit, finish, and paint, I threw together a 6"x6" test box so I could test the glue, filler, and paint. Yeah, its hand routed and cut with a dremel, but thats not the point, I just need to know that the fillers I used and the primer/paints work well together prior to spraying the finished product.

As soon as it is assembled, I plan on testing it to see if their are any changes that need to be made, see if it sounds good, needs to be stuffed, etc, then paint it.

A note about the design. It is my personal belief that Apple has some of the best engineered hardware out there. They spend a long time designing a product to be minimalist and ascetically pleasing while still being useful. Steve did not invent this nor is he the creator. Johnny Ives is responsible for apples current design choices. But then again, he is simply following/copying Dieter Rams, from Germany, designs from the 60's making products for Braun. It's a good read and they guy has some great designs, http://gizmodo.com/343641/1960s-brau...-apples-future
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dieter_Rams

These speakers will be powered by the Dayton DTA-100a T-Amp 50w/ch
                  http://www.parts-express.com/pe/psho...number=300-383
                  which can be seen in some of the previous pictures

Comment

Anyone have a recommendation for what to use as a foot or feet between the speaker and my desktop? I was thinking maybe a small foam square? I dont want their to be a visible foot... but I also dont want vibration etc. Any ideas?

Comment

I'd just use a square of the thin foam mat people use to line their cupboards to keep their dishes from rattling. Cut the square so it's a little smaller than the bottom of the speaker and put the speaker on top of it hiding the edges.

Comment

Here's some ideas: http://www.westfloridacomponents.com/RubberFeet.html
                        Brad
                        piano black sealing mdf irregular recesses grill technique

Comment

Originally posted by bmaupin View Post
                          Cool... these super thin black feet are looking really cool and "apple" like.

http://www.westfloridacomponents.com...+X+2.54mm.html

Looks just like the bottom of my MacBook

Comment

one of our local grocery stores has a really flat, foam rubber set for just a few $ that I buy for anything I don't want scratching tables. They are much nicer than the harder rubber ones, and probably 1mm or less in height.

Comment

My PE order will be here tomorrow, just in time for the weekend. I hope to be testing the speakers this weekend and move on to paint etc. I ordered some Stuffing for the speakers as well as a few parts for a matching subwoofer I'm building as well.
                              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh....php?p=1687690

Also picked up a new Jig saw and orbital sander which I have been in desperate need of. I put the sander to work and rounded the edges of my test piece. Going to prime tonight then bondo/sand/prime until it's smooth.

I looked into Dupli-Color paints, Its the paint I used to test spray earlier (silver metallic) though in a rattle can. They have a nice 3 part kit of pre mixed paint ready to load into my new spray gun. Primer, Color, and clear coat. I'm fairly certain this will work the best. I will most likely clear coat as normal but not heavily polish out the scratches as to leave a duller metallic finish.

Hopefully lots of build pictures and assembled pictures coming up soon!

Comment

Originally posted by pcmofo View Post
                                So all of the parts came today. I decided to build the crossovers on a piece of card board so that I could test the drivers, amp, and general configuration. Here is the bags of parts.

And here is the completed crossover. You will notice it is laid out exactly as the picture in the guide.

I have to say, even without a box I can tell these speakers are going to sound great. They can really move some massive air. The crossover is really doing its job. Disconnecting the tweeter you can hear only mids are going to the 4" drivers. I think I will use plexiglass or a small piece of wood to build the real circuits. I think I can make it a little smaller too. It will most likely be mounted opposite the drivers on the rear wall.

Here is the setup being tested with the amp.

I also tested a single sub and the amp. It comes in a box that holds it perfectly for testing. The back is completly open by the way which means it would be super easy to modify it and install it in the desk.

And last, Here is a picture of the connectors. Both are Dayton gold plated banana,

I stuck a scrap piece of 16ga wire in the center through the hole in the screw post, bent the wires 90deg and tightened it down. I think this will give it a really clean look once I add some "pants" and heat shrink. Any reason not to wire the speakers this way? Also, again, any wire recommendations for twisted 14-16ga wire?
                                Have you considered making the desk so that it has solid side panels, thicker than normal, and making those side panels the subwoofer enclosures, instead of the top? That would eliminate any possible HDD magnetic field issues altogether. The unused areas in the desk top could be used for pop-out keyboard tray or a drawer...whatever. I like the idea you have....a desk computer is great, but when you add subwoofer to the mix, you end up with extra "foot obstacles" or something sitting on the floor to the side, and lots of wires, etc all over the place. the notion of building in some of the stuff is nice....very nice. You got me thinking, now.
                                Keep at it.

John
                                If it doesn't fit right the first time, you obviously need to use a larger hammer. :p

Comment

Working...
                                X