Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apple themed Overnight Sensation MTM

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Re: Apple themed Overnight Sensation MTM

    After a few months of waiting and a few weeks worth of making test pieces, sanding, joining etc the speakers are finally assembled and tested. I am very excited to report they sound amazing already, even without the final stuffing, sealing etc. The only thing left to do is disassemble and paint!

    On to the pictures!

    Here are the two speakers as delivered by my fiancees father. He used biscuit joints all around to join everything.


    Inside we can see the crossover mounted to a removable back panel. T-nuts and bolts are used to hold everything in place. I may need to add sealing tape to this but the wood joint is fairly tight as is.


    Here we can see the dual 1.25" x 6" ports. A small rear brace was made with a earlier scrap/prototype piece to prevent vibration etc from effecting the ports


    You can see everything being wired up together and how the back panel is removed.


    I used #6 and #8 SS hex screws to attach the speakers and black acrylic. Might try using black screws as well and see how they look. Its amazing how flush and perfect the porting is to the acrylic. Once the tubes are painted black they should look like one piece.


    Rear of the speaker showing the terminals and back acrylic piece. Terminals need to be drilled out a bit bigger and hammered in but they work fine for testing now.


    Profile of the speaker. Its really neat how the front is flush and the speakers are protected by the acrylic. Looks very clean. You can also see some of the joining work. Should be completely undetectable once painted.


    Inside of speaker showing the rear of the front baffles with T nuts and chamfering.


    After assembly, did a quick test on my desk with my 15" mac for comparison. Again, speakers were designed to be the exact height of the 27" iMac or Apple Display that has yet to be purchased.


    I tried the speakers with both the T-amp mentioned above as well as a HT receiver. The receiver really was able to bring out some good sound and I could tweak the audio a little going into it. On my desktop the T-amp worked well and produced accurate sound. Due to the height of the speakers, the sound stage is higher so sitting up strait is a great listening position.

    These speakers would also look great next to a 40+" LCD. Their is already 1-2 full sets of cut MDF ready to make another pair of speakers if needed. I may make a matching set for HT or to give/sell depending on the final result of this design.

    So far the speaker design (sonically) has exceeded my expectations, thanks to Paul's design and help modifying his original Overnight Sensation MTM design. Once sealed and stuffed they should really be amazing. I am very pleased with the craftsmanship of the speakers themselves. The fit and finish in the wood working and alignment has to really be seen. Its really cool designing something and then seeing the finished results exactly as you had intended it.

    Next step is priming, painting, resembling, stuffing, sealing, testing, and enjoying.

    Once completed I will have very nice high resolution pictures up showing off some of the finer details of the design and craftsmanship.

    Still figuring out the painting process with the prototype shown earlier... basic idea is to prime with an oil based primer to seal the MDF, sand, bondo, spot fill/prime with spray primer as needed. Then, use Dupli-Color PaintShop primer, color, and clear coat shot through a spray gun. Need to test this all first to make sure the paint holds up and doesn't react with primer bondo etc. I'm hoping to get a jump on all of that this week and have everything sanded and painted in another week or two.

    Comment


    • #47
      Re: Apple themed Overnight Sensation MTM

      Those look GREAT! Nice job taking your time and doing things right the first time.

      I'm going with the original Overnight Sensation design, build starts friday for me.
      -Brian

      Comment


      • #48
        Re: Apple themed Overnight Sensation MTM

        Originally posted by B_Rich View Post
        Those look GREAT! Nice job taking your time and doing things right the first time.

        I'm going with the original Overnight Sensation design, build starts friday for me.
        I think you are really going to enjoy the sound from these speakers. It was a great design to choose for my first build. The biscuit joints are really strong and make it easy to line everything up. If you can I would go with those.

        Comment


        • #49
          Re: Apple themed Overnight Sensation MTM

          Thanks, I'm looking forward to the build.
          -Brian

          Comment


          • #50
            Re: Apple themed Overnight Sensation MTM

            Great job so far. The tall skinny profile looks like a great way to get some sound on a small desk also. 27" seems tall, but it's not bad next to a nice monitor

            Comment


            • #51
              Re: Apple themed Overnight Sensation MTM

              Nice work. Cant wait for the finished product

              Comment


              • #52
                Re: Apple themed Overnight Sensation MTM

                Those are really turning out nice. They look like they were made by Mac..
                Thanks ,
                JB

                Comment


                • #53
                  Re: Apple themed Overnight Sensation MTM

                  Originally posted by DjDisturbed View Post
                  Those are really turning out nice. They look like they were made by Mac..
                  Except for the whole high-quality, low price thing....
                  My projects
                  https://picasaweb.google.com/112307725038877176664

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Re: Apple themed Overnight Sensation MTM

                    Found a local automotive paint store. Spent about 2 hours and $150 on automotive grade paints and what not. Here is what I found out....

                    I only need to prime with the automotive primer, its high build and a nice quality and should not effect the wood, I will be testing this prior to painting the actual speakers.

                    3-4 coats of primer 15 min apart then drying for about a day will set the primer. Then I will sand with 400-600 to create a nice smooth and slightly rough surface for the paint to stick to. If their are any un even spots I will be using bondo then another round of primer.

                    Both the primer and paint has to be mixed with a reducer to be thin enough to spray easily and a hardener to set the paint up. I wont be using a clear coat to avoid a glossy finish. The paint will have a single coat with 4+ layers 15 min apart as well this should create a nice even color coat.

                    I am planning on setting up some plastic (a la "Dexter's" kill rooms) so I can spray without getting paint all over the garage/brewery. Planning on testing the primer and paint asap and hopefully have everything at least primed by the end of the weekend.

                    Anyone ever Dye PVC? I am thinking this is the best way to go for painting the inside of the tubes black. Otherwise the paint will eventually chip off. Planning on following this guide

                    http://makeprojects.com/Project/Stai...You-Like/296/1

                    and using this dye

                    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=260583810262

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Re: Apple themed Overnight Sensation MTM

                      If you need any advise on working with automotive grade paints, let me know...

                      If your gonna single stage it, you want to wet sand your primer down to at least 800 grit, anything less will show sanding marks. Also allow good time to dry between coats of primer and paint. Wet sand any imperfections out IN-BETWEEN coats, otherwise it just multiply with each coat. I'd recommend using something that will flash-over fast...this will help prevent dust from sticking to the final product.

                      I do custom paint on the side and have painted MDF before...Be CAREFUL on your first coat of primer id the MDF is not sealed. The MDF will soak it up like a sponge and grow. Start with very light coats until the MDF is sealed.

                      Good luck!!

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Re: Apple themed Overnight Sensation MTM

                        That dying of the PVC pipe is really cool! I say go that route. Doesn't seem to be too expensive either.

                        Things are looking great!
                        -Brian

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Re: Apple themed Overnight Sensation MTM

                          Originally posted by pcmofo View Post
                          Found a local automotive paint store. Spent about 2 hours and $150 on automotive grade paints and what not. Here is what I found out....

                          I only need to prime with the automotive primer, its high build and a nice quality and should not effect the wood, I will be testing this prior to painting the actual speakers.

                          3-4 coats of primer 15 min apart then drying for about a day will set the primer. Then I will sand with 400-600 to create a nice smooth and slightly rough surface for the paint to stick to. If their are any un even spots I will be using bondo then another round of primer.

                          Both the primer and paint has to be mixed with a reducer to be thin enough to spray easily and a hardener to set the paint up. I wont be using a clear coat to avoid a glossy finish. The paint will have a single coat with 4+ layers 15 min apart as well this should create a nice even color coat.

                          I am planning on setting up some plastic (a la "Dexter's" kill rooms) so I can spray without getting paint all over the garage/brewery. Planning on testing the primer and paint asap and hopefully have everything at least primed by the end of the weekend.

                          Anyone ever Dye PVC? I am thinking this is the best way to go for painting the inside of the tubes black. Otherwise the paint will eventually chip off. Planning on following this guide

                          http://makeprojects.com/Project/Stai...You-Like/296/1

                          and using this dye

                          http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=260583810262
                          Dexter reference FTW. I'm not impressed with season 5 so far though. Boyd was kind of cool.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Re: Apple themed Overnight Sensation MTM

                            Originally posted by petethekiller View Post
                            If you need any advise on working with automotive grade paints, let me know...

                            If your gonna single stage it, you want to wet sand your primer down to at least 800 grit, anything less will show sanding marks. Also allow good time to dry between coats of primer and paint. Wet sand any imperfections out IN-BETWEEN coats, otherwise it just multiply with each coat. I'd recommend using something that will flash-over fast...this will help prevent dust from sticking to the final product.

                            I do custom paint on the side and have painted MDF before...Be CAREFUL on your first coat of primer id the MDF is not sealed. The MDF will soak it up like a sponge and grow. Start with very light coats until the MDF is sealed.

                            Good luck!!
                            I tried painting outside just to paint my test piece before spending a few hours setting up a spray room in the garage. It took some getting used to and calibrating the spray gun a bit but I got it going and sprayed my test piece. I then sanded with 400 and wet sanded with 600 as per the paint guys recommendation. If this were the real piece I would be spraying another 3-4 coats of primer and sanding again, to cover the corner parts I burnt through and some slight texture on the surface. But then again, this is the test piece so its going to be fine.

                            Going to test spray the color later this week when I make the room. Its going to be hard to disassemble the speakers to spray them as they sound so good already I dont want to part with them for a week or two while I am spraying them.

                            I also found their is a store that sells only fasteners near by. I am hoping to find just the right combo of bolts to make everything look really cool. More on that later.

                            I ordered the dye needed to mix and dye the PVC. Going to do a test piece, and if it goes well, dye the actual pieces prior to painting, then mask off the tubes when painting. Its going to be rough to get in the length of the tube with a brush but I am sure I will figure something out.

                            I'm hoping that I can have some time with the holiday coming up to spray and sand the primer this week. The matching sub is ready to be sanded and then painted at the same time.

                            More pictures and updates are on their way as I go.

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Re: Apple themed Overnight Sensation MTM

                              Thought I would post this picture for fun before disassembling and painting the speakers... I found a local store that sells all sorts of screws and bolts etc... Found the black coated screws I was looking for (#6 & #8, 32 x 3/4" Socket head screws to be exact)

                              Here is a quick picture with one speaker with the shiny stainless steel and the other with the black. IMO the black looks really nice and from a few feet away blends into the acrylic.

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Re: Apple themed Overnight Sensation MTM

                                Originally posted by pcmofo View Post
                                Here is a quick picture with one speaker with the shiny stainless steel and the other with the black. IMO the black looks really nice and from a few feet away blends into the acrylic.
                                Much better. Contrast on the real items of interest.
                                Brad
                                piano black sealing mdf irregular recesses grill technique

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X