Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Jim Griffin's Aura T-line 2-way

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jim Griffin's Aura T-line 2-way

About two years ago Steve Henry was kind enough to send me plans for Jim Griffin's T-lines useing Aura 3" drivers and a Hivi Tweeter. I made a mistake and they sat in the corner till two weeks ago.

Big thanks to Steve and Jim. Here are some pictures.
    Nice sounding speakes too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0022.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	1176497

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0024.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	1176498

Re: Jim Griffin's Aura T-line 2-way

Can you please post a link to the design?
    Brad
    piano black sealing mdf irregular recesses grill technique

Comment

DUDE, your avatar.... It rocks! I think it deserves a fist bump or something.

I'll bet it's a very nice-sounding speaker. I like Jim's stuff.
      Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
      Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

[QUOTE=Thezeek;1662403]About two years ago Steve Henry was kind enough to send me plans for Jim Griffin's T-lines useing Aura 3" drivers and a Hivi Tweeter. I made a mistake and they sat in the corner till two weeks ago.

Big thanks to Steve and Jim. Here are some pictures.
        Nice sounding speakes too.

Glad you like them - people are still amazed at the amount of bass this little ML-TL makes. Very nice work.
        Audiophiles listen to the equipment, not the music.

Comment

Those look great, to bad I have yet to get out and listen to any of you guys speakers yet. I'm going to do my best to make to the IWOA event. I hope I can have my speakers done by then.
          I have always liked it when little speakers actually have some bottom end without sounding boomy or distorted. That's what led me to build my lil sub for my computer speakers.
          Again great looking speakers and I would like to see the build on these if possible.
          Thanks ,
          JB

Comment

Steve actually emailed me the design a while ago. Oops

Not sure what the square "opening"? is on the back and if the port hole has any depth other than that from the 3/4" MDF.

Attached Files
            Brad

Comment

The square opening is for the terminal cup that Jim specifies. It will give you just enough room to get the crossover into the enclosure. Jim also gives the PE part # for the right port tube. These items were in email portion of Jim's instructions. If I failed to send you this info, I apologize & will forward as soon as I get back from a business trip.
              Last edited by Steve Henry; 08-10-2010, 01:19 AM. Reason: more info

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Henry View Post
                The square opening is for the terminal cup that Jim specifies. It will give you just enough room to get the crossover into the enclosure. Jim also gives the PE part # for the right port tube. If I failed to send you this info, I apologize & will forward as soon as I get back from a business trip.
                No problem - I'm glad to get this info in one place.

Attached Files
                Brad

Comment

The new Aura sound 3" drivers spec out different then the old ones I used, so they may not sound the same. Maybe the new Dayton 3.5" will work. You may have to ask someone that knows.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
                    DUDE, your avatar.... It rocks! I think it deserves a fist bump or something.

I'll bet it's a very nice-sounding speaker. I like Jim's stuff.
                    That would be Devin Townsend. He has much verried and cool music some that is not for the faint of heart and some ambiant and pop metal. The recording quality lacks but he has got better at that over the years. I realy like his Ocean Machine cd. You can check him out at HevyDevy Records online. The song writing is top notch in my book.

Comment

I heard the originals, and directed Steve in that direction. I must say, the TN25 sounds very 'sweet' in that design. Getting bass into the 30's from 2 3" drivers is also a very cool thing!!!

I really like how Jim 'flushed-in' the tweeters. He used a sticky-back Foamie to both seal the midbasses, and flush the tweeter. Makes it really easy for those stressing the odd-shaped cutout on the TN25....
                      Later,
                      Wolf
                      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                      http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Wolf, some of the old emails that Steve sent me had you in them. Yep, that HiVi TN25 sounded good. I had second thoughts about it after seeing some distortion plots but they sound fine.

Later Wolf. Hope I can make it to Iowa.

Zeek

Comment

Originally posted by Thezeek View Post
                          Wolf, some of the old emails that Steve sent me had you in them. Yep, that HiVi TN25 sounded good. I had second thoughts about it after seeing some distortion plots but they sound fine.

Later Wolf. Hope I can make it to Iowa.

Zeek
                          Same for me! It would be good to hear the 'Nopes'...
                          Later,
                          Wolf
                          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                          http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Thezeek View Post
                            The new Aura sound 3" drivers spec out different then the old ones I used, so they may not sound the same. Maybe the new Dayton 3.5" will work. You may have to ask someone that knows.
                            I'm planning on buying these to build Jim's MTM MLTL. Anyone who knows [Jim G.?/Steve H.?] - are the specs for these the same as the originals?

Comment

Originally posted by keith_correa View Post
                              I'm planning on buying these to build Jim's MTM MLTL. Anyone who knows [Jim G.?/Steve H.?] - are the specs for these the same as the originals?
                              I believe they are the same. The PE version is a slightly different. And at the current price at Mad, I'm going to buy some more myself.:D

Comment

Working...
                              X