Le Singe Sarcophage - A large GRS based 3-way

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Le Singe Sarcophage - A large GRS based 3-way

As I outlined here, I have been working on a large GRS based 3-way using the 12" poly cone woofer and the sealed back mid.

Keep in mind this project was intended for a specific application, that being a couple holes built into the basement wall of a friends new home. They were adamant on using this location, so I was constrained off the bat by size. The openings are ~26.5"h x 15.5"w x 13.5"d. Consequently, the LSS are sized along those lines. Assuming 3/4" construction with bracing and driver displacement, I am left with approximately 1.9 cubic feet or so.

On the shelf, I had a pair of the GRS 12" woofers, the GRS mids and a pair of Dayton 3/4" front mount neo tweeters. They are all priced at or near the bottom of their respective categories.

The cabinets are really too small for the woofers, but on the other hand - the bump that gives them will be pretty satisfying for their teenaged son and his gaming systems.

On five of the six sides, I used 3/4" plywood. Nothing fancy at all. Butjoints all around, glued and screwed. I did countersink the screw holes though. The baffle is 3/4" MDF with 1/2" roundover on the left and right sides. I have not decided what finish the baffles will have - I still have a roll of the Beech buyout vinyl, I may give that a go again.

Drivers are offset 3/4" to one side, the baffles are mirrored. Stuffed with 2 pounds of poly-fill (yes, this project needs four bags of Wal Mart polyfill!!!).

If this project is to be built for other than it's original intended install (in a wall), keep in mind it is only a couple db of baffle step correction built in. They would be fine corner loaded in a garage (I'll be honest, I was gunning after the Golden Boys with this project;)), as well as in a smaller room like, say a college dorm.

If you have the space, I would build them at least six inches taller and a few inches deeper. It won't hurt nothing, and in fact the bass would be ever so much better.

I tried keeping the crossover as simple as possible, and I feel I have hit a reasonable compromise by using only eight components in the entire network. This yielded a decent on axis response, and it varies very little out to 30 degrees off axis. The compromise was less than stellar vertical off axis response, although closer driver spacing would address some of that. Just aim the tweeters anywhere as long as they stay at or about ear height and you will be fine, if that is your thing. Note the reverse phase on the midrange. You can try it in either polarity, the wife and I both prefer the reverse polarity quite a bit. YMMV. Crossover points are ~600 and ~4000.

The impedance should not present any problems to most amplifiers.

(Le Singe Sarcophage is French for "Monkey Coffins" if you were wondering)

Frequency Response:

Impedance:

Crossover:

I would provide build prints for this, but I fully expect people to take some liberties with the dimensions. Just don't change the baffle width much, and keep the driver orientation as-is and it can be made taller or deeper all day.

Upgrades: none really. The drivers cost about as much as the crossover components, so I don't see too much upgrading at this point.

I'll add more information later, but right now I am kind of tired and Metallica is even drifting me off to sleep.
    Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Re: Le Singe Sarcophage - A large GRS based 3-way

Wow Johnny, the name sounds so exotic and European... :rolleyes:
    But are they "Digital Ready"?
    Once again, very cool project!
    Mike
    "We're speaker geeks, not speaker nerds. Nerds make money!" Marty H
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    My Current System: Jolida SJ502A, Squeezebox Touch, and Carmody Sunflowers
    My Garage System:Marantz 2238B and Nano-Neos

Comment

I love how you do the crossovers as simple as you can and still have a relatively hifi response to your designs, especially that 30 deg off axis!

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
      return to the source
      leviathan system thread
      deadhorse thread
      shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Originally posted by mikejennens View Post
        Wow Johnny, the name sounds so exotic and European... :rolleyes:
        But are they "Digital Ready"?
        Once again, very cool project!
        Mike
        lol Thanks Mike!

Comment

Originally posted by greywarden View Post
          I love how you do the crossovers as simple as you can and still have a relatively hifi response to your designs, especially that 30 deg off axis!
          I admit it, I get nervous when I start looking at more than 8 or 9 components in a crossover

This project was a lot of fun, and we (my wife and I) ended up with what I believe to be a very nice sounding speaker for the money. Her ears are just better than mine, so I always include her in the voicing process - we can usually nail most problems in a few hours.

The off axis was important in this design due to the install. I am hoping a smooth off axis will lead to a more "room filling" sound.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
            This project was a lot of fun, and we (my wife and I) ended up with what I believe to be a very nice sounding speaker for the money. Her ears are just better than mine, so I always include her in the voicing process - we can usually nail most problems in a few hours.
            It took me a long time to admit it, but my wife's ears are better than mine.
            In the end, I'm glad to have an un-biased reviewer I can trust.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
            "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
            SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
            My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Originally posted by donradick View Post
              It took me a long time to admit it, but my wife's ears are better than mine.
              In the end, I'm glad to have an un-biased reviewer I can trust.
              I had to swallow some pride years ago before I would admit it. Now I, too, am glad she is around.

Comment

Ummm, pics?

Sounds like another awesome Johnny Richards Budget (hmmm....JRB Speakers, has a certain flair to it, I daresay) project.

But, I gotta see me some pics! ;)

Mark
                You go your way, I'll go mine. I don't care if we get there on time.

~Pink Floyd

Comment

Mark, this thread has a pre-finish pic. I will post more in a week or so when I get them finished.

"JRB" does have a certain flair to it... ;)

Comment

Kudos for once again being brave and bold enough to go w/ budget drivers. This should be a great first-timers project since you have used non-buyout drivers. For the parts count and cost of drivers your FR looks pretty impressive. Hopefully final installation will net you a little more boom from the undersized box. I would say you have succeeded in besting the Golden Boys.

Comment

Johnny,

That is awesome. It drives me crazy, but my wife hears better than me as well. I am very lucky she sits and listens.

Comment

Originally posted by mzisserson View Post
                        Johnny,

That is awesome. It drives me crazy, but my wife hears better than me as well. I am very lucky she sits and listens.
                        She picks up on stuff right away, and I just watch her face as I make changes. My designs are as much hers as mine.

Comment

My wife seems to have good ears, too. She is especially sensitive to issues in the upper treble, which leads me to think that she has more of her hearing intact than I do (and she's a year older than I am).

Would it be hasty for me to conclude that women are less likely to have engaged in hearing-loss-accelerating activities while growing up? Or, do we just happen to have really cool wives? :D

Comment

She picks up on stuff right away, and I just watch her face as I make changes. My designs are as much hers as mine.
                            You are lucky. I envy you. I just hit my 28th wedding anniversary a few days ago. I love my wife dearly, but have never been able to get her interested in my hobby. It is more like "You do your thing and I do my thing" with us.
                            Don't worry, if your parachute fails, you have the rest of your life to fix it.

If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally ASTOUND ourselves - Thomas A. Edison

Some people collect stamps, Imelda Marcos collected shoes. I collect speakers.:D

Comment

Originally posted by thekorvers View Post
                              You are lucky. I envy you. I just hit my 28th wedding anniversary a few days ago. I love my wife dearly, but have never been able to get her interested in my hobby. It is more like "You do your thing and I do my thing" with us.
                              Up until the final voicing stage, it is not her thing at all lol. But yes, I am a lucky man to be able to involve her in the most important part of the hobby

Comment

Working...
                              X