X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Le Singe Sarcophage - A large GRS based 3-way

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
    This is how they look all finished.

Never you mind the dorm furniture they are sitting on ;)

Drool-worthy, and a TRUE monkey Coffin.

I am jonsin' to build some coffins soon... ;)

Comment

Outstanding, with good looking crossovers to boot.

Comment

After some more extended listening using movies as a reference, I decided the voices were a little lacking. I did another measurement, and realized the reverse polarity on the mid was causing a suckout aroun 400 Hz or so. I flipped the polarity, and the voices are all much better now. The top end seems smoother, but that is not necessarily to my taste - YMMV.

I will post updated measurements later. It actually measures a little better with the mid reversed. I guess this tells me that my first reaction is the same as lot of peoples; "oooh bass and treble!!! Love it!!!!"

I watched about five movies this last weekend on it before I realized what was going on, and another two afterwards and the difference became obvious after a while.

So, same crossover just flip the polarity on the mid to fill out the voices. I am going to experiment with flipping the tweeter polarity as well.

Work in progress.
        Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

And here they are in there new home:

Comment

Very nice! Much better placed in your friend's wall then on cinderblocks. :D

Curious, before they were placed in their final home, could you hear the lack of BSC, and what did it sound like?

Comment

Originally posted by jclin4 View Post
              Very nice! Much better placed in your friend's wall then on cinderblocks. :D

Curious, before they were placed in their final home, could you hear the lack of BSC, and what did it sound like?
              Actually, it was one of those things that I did not notice until they were put in the wall. After I listened to them for a while at my friends, I realized a touch of "growl" was missing from them here at my house. There is about 3db built in, and the woofer has a 4 or 5 db ripple in the 50 Hz range, so they actually do pretty good near a boundary (like where they were on my cinder blocks ).

It was just a little lacking on certain male vocals.

Comment

They look good in the wall , out side of it they remind of a pair of Yamaha's I had many moons ago. Hope your friend enjoys them.
                Thanks ,
                JB

Comment

Johnny,

Are these a sealed design? Pardon me if I missed the obvious, but I've read over both threads several times and can't find the answer. I presume they are because of the size constraints you were working with.

Ron
                  Tritrix HT:http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=222519
                  Dayton 12" Subwoofer: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=222930
                  Overnight Sensations: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=223751
                  Cerberus sub: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...hlight=cerebus
                  Duellatis: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=224943
                  NTN's: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=227902

Comment

Originally posted by Soundslike View Post
                    Johnny,

Are these a sealed design? Pardon me if I missed the obvious, but I've read over both threads several times and can't find the answer. I presume they are because of the size constraints you were working with.

Ron
                    The GRS woofers don't work very well in ported boxes. So i'm guessing sealed

Comment

Yep, sealed tight and stuffed.

Comment

First post. Yay!

I'm using johnnyrichards' design to refurb a pair of circa 1972 Kenwood speakers. They were a 4-way 5-driver (!) system so I have to replace the baffles. I've done so on one cabinet. PE back ordered one pair of coils (without telling me) so I have not assembled the crossovers yet. When they are complete, I'll post more details.

Comment

Those look great!

Comment

off topic

thanks mate for posting this.
                            Come visit and understand more what's what

in connection with garage door repair Katy Texas

Comment

Sorry for the delayed update.

Here's the rear view of the original terminal plate:

The original crossover:

New one:

Speakers sound great. I playing them thru a circa 1980 Realistic STA-2100 receiver. These aren't as sensitive as my Realistic Mach Twos nor is there as much bottom end, but I have no complaints.

I'l be hooking them up to a similar vintage Kenwood receiver as soon as I can persuade my wife that we need another stereo in the reading room. ;)

Thanks again for the excellent design, johnnyrichards.

Comment

i hope your keeping the 'clear, normal, soft' knob. nice adabtation. those are very cool looking inductors.
                                nice build john. what feedback have you got from your friends now that they have had them for a bit?
                                " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
                                Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
                                http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Working...
                                X