Le Singe Sarcophage - A large GRS based 3-way

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Le Singe Sarcophage - A large GRS based 3-way

I did not retain any original bits other than the cabinets. The original speakers were actually designed to match with a specific Kenwood receiver that fed lo/mid/hi seperately. You could otherwise select one of the other settings. You can see that soft or clear varied the network by changing the resistor value for the respective channel. I don't really have the knowledge (nor impetus) to design an equivalent crossover for the new drivers. Johnny's sounds just fine, no tweaking needed.

Comment

I'll be building a pair with my Dad for his shop when I get home later this month! The parts are there waiting!

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
      return to the source
      leviathan system thread
      deadhorse thread
      shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

all those coils are reuseable, i hope you did not toss them.
        " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
        Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
        http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Clint, I'm glad you like them. The woofers may loosen up a bit over time and the bottom end might "liven" up a little more.

Arlis, their teenage son spends a lot of time with them. He likes them quite a bit, a big hit with his friends.

Channing - I look forward to seeing your interpretation as well.

I am pretty proud of this design and feel it to be a very good value, and a lot of fun to listen to.
          Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Woot, 1st Post. Pulled the trigger on the parts last night.

After getting an old PC in my garage, I finally have the ability to stream electronica music. It's so much win over the regular broadcast stuff they have in this area. However right now they're just going thru dinky 3-inch PC 2.0 speaker system. No way to really enjoy the music, it's just noise right now.

I was about to buy some Sony SS-B3000 bookshelves that can be had for under $70 used on Amazon. They come with a ported 8. I spoke with one my speaker head friends and he talked me into Le Singe though.

I'd like to have the overhead to be able to turn my stereo to 11 if the need arises. :D So I hope these do the trick.

Pics and review to follow.

Comment

Well, 10 months later here they be! lol. I bought the parts but had a friend assemble. My main requirement were that the tweeters be angled as these were gonna go into a garage and I wanted some nice spread. Heck who knows, maybe my kiddo will haul these off to college when the time comes in 16 years!

Old and busted KLH dinky noise makers. Hmmmmm.... I wonder which could make more noise???

In their final resting places, corner loaded in mah garage. My wife is all "WTFMATE?" at the size. Lol, women.

Initial thoughts:
              I was expecting more bass omph out of these puppies with my 100x2 Sherwood http://www.amazon.com/Sherwood-RX-41...dp/B000MBUSD6/

I guess I was shooting for the moon Alice since in my HT room I have a 1kw 15 monster sub.

Well after a bit of tweaking I got my basshead side satisfied. I really haven't turned up the volume though cause I was afraid of ******* off my neighbors or my wife, lol. From the very low volumes that I've listened to for several hours though I am REALLY impressed with the mids and highs. Dam they sound amazing, when ya figure how much those mid-high components cost it just boggles my mind at how awesome they sound. I really <3 the lower fill even at very low volumes the 12 produces.

Needless to say I'm very very very happy so far with all the $ and work I've put into upgrading my garage setup. I can't wait till daylight hours to where I can just jam the ever living crap out of my new Monkeys with some Luda or Deadmau5

Comment

Wow, that is a cool interpretation of these! The bass will probably warm up after a few days of listening, but they were designed from the get-go to do their best with lots of boundary re-inforcement.

Comment

good job. I was underwhelmed by the sherwood, gave it to my parents once I got my marantz 2265 back up and running. go find a vintage marantz to power those bad boys. Johnny, could he add a little BSC by padding down the mids and tweets a bit?

Comment

Could go with a bigger coil and some higher series resistance, but no doubt that will alter the sound somewhat. There is already enough BSC for corner loading, though. Perhaps, like me, he likes his bass a little "warm"

Comment

Really a perfect mod for your application. Outstanding job!
                      I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.
                      OS MTMs http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=220388
                      Swope TM http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=221818
                      Econowave and Audio Nirvana AN10 fullrange http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=216841
                      Imperial Russian Stouts http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...=1#post1840444
                      LECBOS. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ghlight=lecbos

Comment

Would it be safe to assume the ND20FB would not be a simple drop in for the ND20FA in this speaker.

Comment

Yeah, they are not swappable tweeters.

Comment

Okay, thank you. I was hoping to save a few bucks.

Comment

If there was an upgrade that could be made to the drivers without altering the crossover too much, what would it be? I'm planning on building these in an old Sony ssu-420 floor standing cabinet and my budget for parts is $300, trying to make the most of it.

Comment

This a competent design using budget drivers. The crossover works for these drivers.

Comment

Working...
                                X