X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• --Oz--
    replied
    Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
    Personally, reading that thread, you wouldn't be able to tell which driver is nicer based on the haphazard approach you are taking. Come on out to a DIY show, we'll explain it to you.
    True, because that thread has pretty much nothing to do with that pyle 12" driver, if you had read the thread its about matching mid/highs up to a 10" 4Ω driver, I think you are confused.

If you read the part where I used that 12" driver, 5", ribbon and crossover, it came out fairly well for how little I spent, the 900/5000 crossover points really well with the freq plots of the drivers, the enclosure was about 10% shy of what was recommended for ported box. And they play loud, that part would be easy to tell the difference.Please explain the correct DIY on post number #3 speakers and keep it under $100 for the rebuild, I only researched for about a week and bought them parts for it. tia

That thread is spending minimum cash to save a set of speakers from the trash can, matching up mids/highs with what was was stuck in the enclosures when I got them (basically a 10" 4Ω ~150W sub-woofer instead of a woofer, because of this i might just scrap the whole budget rebuild and in the bin they go), see the 1st post. If you can help with that question, then great. Its not about making some awesome sounding speakers with a bunch of calculations/testing/tuning/repeat while tossing a bunch of cash at it. I figured I would post here for some help from more knowledgeable DIY'ers (including hardware that I am unaware) and I got some good direction for my question.

Both 12" drivers have there place and its good to have options, I was just posting another option for the low cost driver in this thread, comparing some specs. I was going to just copy the single post #18, but some dont like cross posting, but it didnt help that this forum does not allow (that I found) posting a link to a certain post number, so that added to the confusion, sorry.

Leave a comment:

• johnnyrichards
    replied
    Personally, reading that thread, you wouldn't be able to tell which driver is nicer based on the haphazard approach you are taking. Come on out to a DIY show, we'll explain it to you.

Leave a comment:

• --Oz--
    replied
    I did a quick comparison of the GRS vs Pyle 12" driver in another thread, personally I think the Pyle is nicer and lower cost.
    Post #18 here http://techtalk.parts-express.com/fo...this-10-driver

Leave a comment:

• johnnyrichards
    replied
    By kitted, I mean a discount offered by PE.

Leave a comment:

• johnnyrichards
    replied
    These could be kitted out for $125 with all components, binding posts, and a couple lbs of polyfill.

Leave a comment:

• johnnyrichards
    replied
    Updated shopping cart, these are only a few dollars more now than they were almost ten years ago. These are a great value.

Leave a comment:

• djg
    replied
    This a competent design using budget drivers. The crossover works for these drivers.

Leave a comment:

• JP23
    replied
    If there was an upgrade that could be made to the drivers without altering the crossover too much, what would it be? I'm planning on building these in an old Sony ssu-420 floor standing cabinet and my budget for parts is $300, trying to make the most of it.

Leave a comment:

• Kered
    replied
    Okay, thank you. I was hoping to save a few bucks.

Leave a comment:

• johnnyrichards
    replied
    Yeah, they are not swappable tweeters.

Leave a comment:

• Kered
    replied
    Would it be safe to assume the ND20FB would not be a simple drop in for the ND20FA in this speaker.

Leave a comment:

• fastbike1
    replied
    Re: Le Singe Sarcophage - A large GRS based 3-way

Really a perfect mod for your application. Outstanding job!

Leave a comment:

• johnnyrichards
    replied

Could go with a bigger coil and some higher series resistance, but no doubt that will alter the sound somewhat. There is already enough BSC for corner loading, though. Perhaps, like me, he likes his bass a little "warm"

Leave a comment:

• michiganpat
    replied

good job. I was underwhelmed by the sherwood, gave it to my parents once I got my marantz 2265 back up and running. go find a vintage marantz to power those bad boys. Johnny, could he add a little BSC by padding down the mids and tweets a bit?

Leave a comment:

• johnnyrichards
    replied

Wow, that is a cool interpretation of these! The bass will probably warm up after a few days of listening, but they were designed from the get-go to do their best with lots of boundary re-inforcement.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X