Armadillo TM, A.K.A. Lil' Dillo
    Tarkus/Armadillo build #2
    Armadillo Center Channel
    Au-Rock-O Sub
    Tarkus
    Staining MDF tutorial

Comment

Re: New hybrid build - the Tikki Lau D8

That's a helluva lotta bracing, I guess you could use a couple chunks of 2x4 haha...

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
      return to the source
      leviathan system thread
      deadhorse thread
      shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Wow, looks awesome! Can't wait to follow this progress.
        -Dan
        Mandolin Curved Cabinet Floorstanding; Dayton Reference 18" sealed Subwoofer; Sealed 12" Dayton Reference Subwoofer ; Overnight Sensation builds

Comment

:D I thought of adding more bracing but that would defeat the light but effective purpose.

I decided just to go with what it is...which is actually 2.29 cuft. (about 2.1 with the bracing and drivers) Every time I entered the info into the sim it came out different so I just did it out by hand. I shortened the port to 6in (just stuck the 2 flares together) and that yielded an Fb of 32.5Hz. That'll work!

Finished one cabinet, took measurements and designed the cross over. I just ordered the parts so they probably won't be here 'til Monday or Tuesday, maybe even Wednesday given the time of year.

The measurements showed a solid 6db of BS between 80-500Hz which I compensated for as well as a second dip between 200-500Hz. It's fortunate I used 2 woofers! The final sensitivity should turn out to be around 88-89db (shown at 1volt) and a flat response (+/- < 1db) from 150-25 kHz and the lower end +2/-3db from 40-150Hz! :D I just hope it actually turns out this good for real. Final cross over points ended up at 610Hz and 3900Hz and surprizingly few parts. The total cost for both xovers would have been about $200 but I had about $50 worth already.

Hybrid floor stander build - The Tikki Lau - D8's

CNC baffle cutting services

Comment

Not much to update, just a couple pics of the finished speaker :rolleyes: :D , minus the real wood "jacket". I picked out some nice Paduk which should be a good match for our living room and really contrast nice with the black...plus all I'll have to do is put a few coats of poly on everything after. I stuck in the xover from the towers just to be able to listen to them and first impressions are real good. Crossover parts should be here Tuesday and I'll post up some pics and some final measurements after voicing.

Comment

Originally posted by takitaj View Post
              Not much to update, just a couple pics of the finished speaker :rolleyes: :D , minus the real wood "jacket".
              I'd strongly suggest using the "jacket" to create a more gentle transition from baffle loaded to freespace along the midtweeter panel edges. In other words, beveled or rounded edges.

Comment

badman: I did the rounded corners (1/2" radius) on everything.

Update:

Both speakers are finished except for the "jackets", they're still drying, and then final puttying and polying. All external stuff. They really sound awesome :D!

I had used Lspcad6 Lite trial to design the xovers which is what I posted a picture of. I ran into a couple issues right after that. The next time I opened the program to make sure I couldn't tweak it any more, it was totally wacked. I know I didn't change anything in my sleep and no matter what I tried I couldn't get the response to look anything like what I posted and I had already ordered parts! PANIC!! I opened up PCD 7 and went to work. What I came up with was actually better than the first rendition using most of the parts I had ordered, phew! It didn't fix the dip at around 150Hz but it was improved by narrowing it down a little. Very wierd but I fortunately recovered!

The other issue I ran into was in the impedeance sweep. Actually my reciever was the one that let me know about that one. The impedeance was pretty good and stayed right around 4ohms except for a big dip around 200Hz down to just above 1ohm! At first the woofer xover was electrically a second order so I changed it to a 3rd order (electrical) using a 20ga coil which brought it up over 2ohms and still worked with everything else. Now I can run it at 65 of 70 on the volume of a 110 watt amp before the amp starts to noticably distort. I ended up with a dead flat response from about 150Hz on up. The low end is perfect for my taste, and room, rising up to about 8db from 150 down to about 45Hz. This gives it a nice warm low end with what I call "sac" :o

Final listening impressions are a warm solid low end that thumps you in chest, a smooth strong midbass (the main reason I rebuilt them), a very open "right there" midrange that hides nothing but is not fatiuging at all and the highs are nice and "crispy", not over bearing but again hiding nothing. I really like them! I can (and have been ) listen for hours on end with just a big cheezy grin on my face. :D

I have a few thing to take care of right now so I'll post some pics and graphs a little later on.

Comment

Some final pics as promised. Graphs will have to wait 'til tomorrow.

The holes in the side panels will be plugged later during the final puttying, sanding and polying. I'm going to take a break for the holidays.

The crossovers

In their final resting place

Comment

WICKED NICE. I really like how stout they look. I think if the black was a piano finish they would rival many expensive commercial offerings.

Comment

Thanks man! They are going to have a similar (best I can pull off ;) ) finish with a semi gloss polyurethane. My wife says they look like 70's speakers, I dunno, do they?

I'm going to use automotive spot putty on all the edges and cracks of the MDF, then a few coats of flat black, some sanding then spray on a lot of light coats of semi gloss poly on everything with some #000 steel wool before the last coat or 2. Usually comes out pretty nice. I hate how long poly takes to "actually" dry hard but it's a nice tough finish. This is why I'm waiting to plug the screw holes, so I can remove the wood, but my hands are tired. It's been over a month working on these just about every day.

I'm at the point I can actually listen to them plus I have another paying project to do on the CNC by New Years day so I'm going to take a break from them until after the holidays.

Comment

very nice work. beautiful.
                        " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
                        Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
                        http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Very nice!! You should be plenty proud of those!
                          https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

+2, kinda 70's ish (prolly the black n' wood), but whatever...they look great!!
                            A mains
                            The Ventures
                            Open Invit8tions
                            RSR
                            Sound Troopers
                            Acorns
                            DGBG's
                            The Monuments

Comment

Thanks guys, yes pretty proud! :D:D The best speakers I've ever built for sure.

I finally figured out how to modify pictures so they fit the criteria and keep some of the picture quality. I have more to come once I get them sorted out but here's a look at the FR curve of both speakers running at about 1w from my listening position of 15ft (4.5 meters for those metric folks), about 15 deg off axis and 4db each of bass and trebble added with the tone controls (1/3rd octave smoothing applied). It sounds really nice as you can imagine...

Here is the same measurement but with tone controlls flat (0,0)

At a distance the dip at around 150Hz seems to disappear. I'm starting to think it has something to do with the woofer spacing causing some cancellation.

Comment

I was doing some measurements today and trying figure out what was causing the dip in the lower frequency range when it finally dawned on me what it was. I remembered that had changed the woofer crossover to a third order to improve the impedance, from a second order. I never changed the midrange and tweeter polarity to account for the 180deg phase change! :eek: Once I switched the polarity everything fell into place. Really smoothed everything out. :D

I've been waiting to post final measurements until I got that figured out so here they are. I pulled the speaker out from the wall about 2 feet, set the amp for 2.8v, 0-0 on the tone controls, the mic 1m away and on the tweeter axis...

1/12th smoothing and 1ms blended gating applied. Check out the phase curve!

1/12 smoothing and no gating:

1/12th smoothing on the distortion plot. Note: the bumps at about 50 and 190Hz are a buzzing from the woofer on the mounting screw. I tightened it too much and it pulled through the hole. I'll have to put some washers in there. Otherwise it's silent.

That about wraps it up for now. After the Holiday's I'll put a nice finish on everything and post up the final pics.

I'm also going to be building a center channel using 2 of the PE 6.5" buyout subs, a TB W4-1320SJF fullrange for the mid and TB 25-302SH tweeter. I'll post the build here when the time comes.

Comment

Working...
                                X