New hybrid build - the Tikki Lau D8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New hybrid build - the Tikki Lau D8

They only look 1970's because your wife as with many many others is a product of modern marketing and the notion that function must always follow form. I for one would not be building speakers if I wanted function to take a backseat. She must be used to going into Kohls or TJMaxx and seeing all of those child sized iPOD docking station with the 2''x2'' speakers that promise room shaking bass.

Rock on with the big speakers!!!!!

Comment

Is the crossover in Post 19 the latest? If not, can I request you to please post the latest?

Comment

Hi Keith, no that version went by the wayside when I was unable to open the trial software anymore. I've been meaning to update this thread but time has been short these days. As I explained in post #22 I had to re-do it in PCD, and that one is the one I was using when I made the measurements and is the one in the pictures. I'll see if I can dig it up. They did sound pretty sweet. Those classic 8's can really light up the bottom end and those TB W5-704D's work awesome as mids. Very easy to cross just about anywhere all the way up to 4-5K. Surprisingly not used very often. The SB29 tweeters took a little toying with to get right but it was worth the extra work. They are great tweeters too. My only gripe was with the woofer's frames. Over tighten the screws and they will pull through and rattle (hence the bump in the distortion plot). I wish PE would update the frame and keep everything else the same. I guess it's a cost thing but I'd pay a few more bucks for it!

I have since upgraded all the drivers to 2xRS225-4's (in series), Scanspeak 15M's (4624G Discovery) with NeoX 2.0 ribbons and of course a new xover. Unfortunately the cabs ended up being just a little too small for the RS woofers so I've been working on a new cab design here and there and is why I never put it up here. Nothing concrete yet but it will be something fairly exotic on the CNC. Getting close!

I kinda miss the original's lower end response (classic 8's). The Scan mid and ribbon tweeter are a killer combo but something is missing around the range of a snare drum but I haven't quite figured it out yet. Just too many other projects. It measures great but it's one of those things where the way it sounds doesn't correspond to what's measured. The new design might end up being a 4 way. I have a pair of Seas W18E-001's I may add in there to cover the low midrange and maybe some side mounted woofers, waveguide ribbons, lol. I dunno, still not sure yet but I will do a build thread when the time comes.

Sorry I got rambling on here. I'll see if I can find the cross over and post it.

TJ
        Hybrid floor stander build - The Tikki Lau - D8's

CNC baffle cutting services

Comment

Here's the latest one I could find. Ignore the 150Hz range, my room is responsible and I didn't do any splicing or anything.

Click image for larger version

Name:	summed response PCD.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	455.3 KB
ID:	1150682Click image for larger version

Name:	system PCD.jpg
Size:	500.3 KB
ID:	1150683Click image for larger version

Name:	Woofers xover PCD.jpg
Size:	461.7 KB
ID:	1150685Click image for larger version

Name:	Midrange xover PCD.jpg
Size:	455.3 KB
ID:	1150681Click image for larger version

Name:	Tweeter xover PCD.jpg
Size:	447.5 KB
ID:	1150684
          TJ

Comment

Hi TJ:

Thanks for responding. A pity those GREAT cabs cannot be repurposed. Did you measure the TS parameters of the DC200's or did you use manufacturer supplied parameters? If you measured them can you please post the numbers here?
            Also, did you measure the FR & IMP of the DC200's? If yes, and if you have them, can you please post the frd & zma files?

-\keith

Comment

Thread reset.
              Kenny

http://www.diy-ny.com/
              DIY NY/NJ 2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGwA...ature=youtu.be
              Man does not live by measurements alone, a little music helps.

Comment

Keith, sorry I missed your last post. I did all kinds of measurements but it's all in-box. They would only be good if you were doing a similar box size/shape. If you're still interested let me know. PM me your address and I can email you what I have. (there's a lot!)

TJ

Comment

Working...
                X