Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Overnight Sensations - Jeff's 1st Build

Originally posted by lostboy77 View Post
    What an excellent combination of my two favorite hobbies, photography and speaker building. I know its a little OT, but what do you shoot with?
    All of my digital gear is Canon. I mainly shoot with their 50D body. The shots in this thread were taken with my trusty old Rebel XTi. The shop is pretty dusty, so I opted to take an older camera in for the project photos. I shoot in full manual, so any camera body that will perform in that mode, AND provide me with a histogram on playback is okay by me. The lens used for these is a Canon 17-55mm F2.8IS.

I have a pile of 35mm gear too. Pentax.

Also, a Yashicamat 124G twin lens reflex camera that I restored awhile back. It uses medium format film.

Then theres the obsolete cameras I have collected.....that they no longer make film for.... but...

You see....I could go on here.....BUT....lets get back to the build!!!
    Thanks,
    Jeff

Projects:

"Overnight Sensations" Build Thread
    Wolf's "PC", plus Paul Carmody's - "Sprites", and "Voxel" subwoofer 2.1 micro systems - Build Thread

Comment

Today I made a little progress again.

I bored all of the holes on the rear panels for the terminals and vents. I also sanded the edges a bit for an easier fit into the cabinets.

I made a trip to the hardware store and bought the screws and such for the ports , cabinet backs, and to mount the crossovers.

...I also bought a freud 1/2" roundover bit(ouch!) and then spent a great deal of time with scraps getting the router table fence set JUST RIGHT. I routed this larger roundover on the cabinet that I did not mount drivers into. The 1/2" looks WAY better than the 3/8", and the time spent dialing in the table fence was well worth it.

I'll get photos up of these latest accomplishments as soon as time allows. Im back to work for the next couple of nights, so this will have to be on hold for now.
      Last edited by Cajun Jeff; 12-14-2011, 06:38 AM.
      Thanks,
      Jeff

Projects:

Wolf's "PC", plus Paul Carmody's - "Sprites", and "Voxel" subwoofer 2.1 micro systems - Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Jeff View Post
        All of my digital gear is Canon. I mainly shoot with their 50D body. The shots in this thread were taken with my trusty old Rebel XTi. The shop is pretty dusty, so I opted to take an older camera in for the project photos. I shoot in full manual, so any camera body that will perform in that mode, AND provide me with a histogram on playback is okay by me. The lens used for these is a Canon 17-55mm F2.8IS.

I have a pile of 35mm gear too. Pentax.

Also, a Yashicamat 124G twin lens reflex camera that I restored awhile back. It uses medium format film.

Then theres the obsolete cameras I have collected.....that they no longer make film for.... but...

You see....I could go on here.....BUT....lets get back to the build!!!
        Based on the pics of Soundslike's office, you two would be best buds :D

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
        return to the source
        leviathan system thread
        deadhorse thread
        shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

I have had a few delays on this project, but I am back at it now. It took longer than expected to get the two back ordered inductors here. While waiting, and studying what other folks have done with their OS builds, I decided that rather than reinvent the wheel, I would lay out the crossover boards exactly like Soundslike did here. His layout looked neat and orderly. The excellent photos and drawings in his OS build thread were also a great help to me. As of now, I have recieved the missing parts and completed the crossovers. I will have to shoot a few XO pics of my own to share here.

I decided to use a maple paper backed veneer to finish these. Final finish on the veneer will be a water based stain (Shaker Maple) and poly made by General Finishes. This will be my first go at waterbased stains and varnishes. I have read good reviews on these products on woodworking sites.

Here are the enclosures after the final filling (Bondo) and sanding. Ready for the veneer.

I will have to wait 24 hours to apply the veneer. The Contact Cement instructions dictate a 24 hour soak in an environment above 65 degF , and our overnight temperatures have been below that. So I moved everything indoors until tommorrow.

Here is a shot from a slightly different angle.

...and lastly....

I also recieved the "little amp that could". It performs as well as the many reviews stated....that is....nice and clean up to about 25 or 30% volume. I may try some of the mods on it to boost performance. For now, I am listenining to the old Sony 3-ways through it while I build the OS's. I did "cheat" a little on my build. As soon as I finished the crossovers, I installed one in a cabinet along with the drivers, a handful of stuffing, and the vent. I clamped the rear panel on and connected it to the Lepai. A single OS running along side the old Sony. I listened to a few tunes before dismantling everything. Alicia Keys "The Thing About Love" sounded great with it's tight bass line and her beautiful voice. Neil Young's "Old Man" filled the workshop with raspy guitar. John Mayer's "Come Back To Bed" came alive. It was really a treat, and I cannot wait to hear the pair. I am shopping for a Harmon Kardon AVR-20 II to play them through. Wish me luck!

Last edited by Cajun Jeff; 12-14-2011, 06:40 AM.
          Thanks,
          Jeff

Projects:

Comment

I just used the Shaker Maple and GF High Performance Poly on a Mission style side table I built for my son. If you haven't used this before, I think you're really going to like the color. It's a nice warm shade that didn't need any toning. I applied with a foam brush and then wiped out. Very easy.

Oh yeah, the OS really have surprising sound for the size. You might as well start planning for the OS MTM's right now (unless you jump right to, say, the ZX Spectrum).:D
            I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.
            OS MTMs http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=220388
            Swope TM http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=221818
            Econowave and Audio Nirvana AN10 fullrange http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=216841
            Imperial Russian Stouts http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...=1#post1840444
            LECBOS. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ghlight=lecbos

Comment

Originally posted by fastbike1 View Post
              I just used the Shaker Maple and GF High Performance Poly on a Mission style side table I built for my son. If you haven't used this before, I think you're really going to like the color. It's a nice warm shade that didn't need any toning. I applied with a foam brush and then wiped out. Very easy.

Oh yeah, the OS really have surprising sound for the size. You might as well start planning for the OS MTM's right now (unless you jump right to, say, the ZX Spectrum).:D
              I believe the color will look great with the color of the woofers. How did the waterbased poly finish out? I purchased the semi gloss.

For a next build? I'd like to do an 8 inch sealed subwoofer...if I can find a proven design. I have also thought about the OS MTM.....the Speedsters....Murphy Blasters etc.

I think for now a nice tight sub would fill the void.

...and then I have a bigger project planned to do cabinets in my workshop. Storage cabinets that is!!! My space is at a premium and I need to have a place for everything.
              Thanks,
              Jeff

Projects:

Comment

Originally posted by fastbike1 View Post
                The inevitable upgrade path. "Here's a taste, no charge. If you like I have better version. It's really gonna blow your sock off." :D
                If life were fair, Elvis would still be alive today and all the impersonators would be dead.
                ~ Johnny Carson

Bungelow Ed's Photo Album http://techtalk.parts-express.com/album.php?u=8594

Comment

I used the Satin Hi performance waterbased. I don't have a hi res photo right now, but will try to get one soon. I was very happy with the finish. I applied with foam brush and was careful to not overwork and keep wet edges. Very happy with result. Finish is clear w/ some reflection. About exactly what you'd expect with satin.

I've also used GF Gel finish in Satin and have been pleased with that.

I believe the color will look great with the color of the woofers. How did the waterbased poly finish out? I purchased the semi gloss.
                  Econowave and Audio Nirvana AN10 fullrange http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=216841

Comment

Today was a very productive...if not tedious day!

First, I have a shot of one of the crossovers to share. This is my replica of Soundslikes version.

I had decided early on to wrap the cabinets in veneer. I have a little experience in automotive paint/body work as a hobby, and although I have all the neccesary gear to get a decent painted finish, I wanted to try something I'd never done before. In for a penny, in for a pound eh?

Here are the cabinets ready for the Band It maple veneer....

...I started on the back edge that surrounds the rear removable panel. This seemed the most logical place to start.....then the top and bottom...and lastly wrap the sides and front baffle in one piece.

It's pretty tough to see the details in the light colored maple.

Here we are with the sides and front wrapped. Still havent cut out the driver openings in this shot. I cut each piece oversized and used a trim bit in my router to trim everything down on the router table after glueing.

...and the cabinets veneer work completed, and ready for stain and poly.

I made a few mistakes...but so far nothing that cannot be fixed. I am quite satisfied with how the veneer turned out.
                    Thanks,
                    Jeff

Projects:

Comment

...and I nearly forgot to say...I won an ebay auction on a Harmon Kardon AVR-25II reciever today. I have a good friend who bought one new back when. He has tried on occasion to replace it but has been disappointed every time. He still uses it in his bedroom HT set up. I'm excited to own one!

Im paying a whopping $25 plus shipping. Altogether about double what the Lepai costs, but it's a Harmon Kardon....and I'll also gain multi ins/outs and a sub out.....plus the reciever. Whoohoooo!
                      Thanks,
                      Jeff

Projects:

Comment

If it works, you will be happy. I have a lot of vintage HK gear. $25 is a most excellent price. the sub out will make things much simpler.

And the veneer job looks great. The Shaker Maple contrast with the magnesium driver will be sweet.

...and I nearly forgot to say...I won an ebay auction on a Harmon Kardon AVR-25II reciever today. I have a good friend who bought one new back when. He has tried on occasion to replace it but has been disappointed every time. He still uses it in his bedroom HT set up. I'm excited to own one!

Im paying a whopping $25 plus shipping. Altogether about double what the Lepai costs, but it's a Harmon Kardon....and I'll also gain multi ins/outs and a sub out.....plus the reciever. Whoohoooo!

Comment

It's hard to see the wood details, but it's clear that you did a great job of trimming holes and edges. Can't wait to see them stained and sealed. You are going to love the sound!
                          If life were fair, Elvis would still be alive today and all the impersonators would be dead.
                          ~ Johnny Carson

Bungelow Ed's Photo Album http://techtalk.parts-express.com/album.php?u=8594

Comment

Originally posted by bungelow_ed View Post
                            It's hard to see the wood details, but it's clear that you did a great job of trimming holes and edges. Can't wait to see them stained and sealed. You are going to love the sound!
                            Thanks. There is one itsy bitsy spot around one of the woofer edges that I am unhappy about. I dont think there's any fixing it though. It's a place where I got a little wide with my cut. As a wrap up to my project, I may have to learn to make grilles as well

I chalk the mistake up to using a dull knife. I immediately changed the blade in the razor, and then changed it again before starting on the second speaker. This, and of course taking your time, is critical on the blind cuts around the recesses.
                            Thanks,
                            Jeff

Projects:

Comment

Moving on with a little more progress today. The waterbased stain was a pleasure to use. There were absolutely ZERO odors as it was applied. I built a hutch for the desk in my daughters sorority house room last year that I used a cherry Minwax traditional stain on and it was a big mess to try and clean everything up after. This, by comparison, was super simple.

It appears to be dry enough at this point to apply the poly, but I have some concerns about the glue under the veneer. I think I'll allow that at least another 24 hours to cure and weather off before I seal it in poly.

As well as the stain went, I am looking forward to using the waterbased poly.

I set a woofer in it's recess to show how well the colors look together.

Thanks,
                              Jeff

Projects:

Comment

I suppose this is a good a time as any to list out some of the bumps in the road for me. Maybe the next guy can avoid a few of them.

- Underestimating:
                                Be sure to budget for odd and end screws and other hardware when planning a speaker build. If you can buy in bulk, or shop around you can save a few dollars. Also figure in for sand paper and finishing materials. The veneer, sand paper, stain and poly added a significant amount to the speaker build. Nearly doubling its cost. I dont mind because they will turn out as I envisioned, but beware what the finish choice can add to the cost.

- Hurrying: Take your time. I misread the layout drawings when I scribbled down the measurements. Everything was perfect, but I had to feed the glued up cabinets through the tablesaw to cut off a half an inch in depth. No biggy, but had it been one of the other dimensions I may have wound up scrapping the boxes.

- Wait until AFTER veneering to drill any small holes. I drilled for the terminal posts early on. They will be covered up, but a neater job would have come from drilling after final finishing.

- Hurrying: Take your time. (sound familiar?) It is a very delicate job to cut the recesses with a box knife to remove unwanted excess veneer. I didnt get perfect results here. Part of that is owed to a less than perfectly sharp blade. Part is also due to me trying to get the holes cut faster than I needed to.

-Houskeeping: I'm pretty bad about this, but am improving. In an effort to keep my work area clean/neat I threw out the boxes that the woofers shipped in. Along with the boxes went the gaskets. I had to make new ones. This may also fall in line with "take your time".

-Router work: This tool was essential for this project. When using the table and fence, be sure to check and recheck the fence set up. It may keep you from doing something over again. Also, invest in good quality bits. They won't come cheap, but are indispensable.

One last bit of advice:

After my initial mismeasure, I put a report binder together with everything related to this project. Drawings for the cabinets and crossover, photos of the crossover (as built by Soundslike), reciepts, invoices, etc. I found myself thumbing through it from time to time to refresh my memory about this or that. Next time, I'll have this in hand to begin with.
                                Thanks,
                                Jeff

Projects:

Comment

Working...
                                X