Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

RSS315HF-4 Sealed Subwoofer Build

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RSS315HF-4 Sealed Subwoofer Build

found the Dayton RSS315HF-4 12" subwoofer on sale about 3 weeks ago and I had to get one.
    Highlights:
    Anodized Aluminum Cone
    Cast Aluminum Basket
    High-roll natural rubber surround
    150 oz magnet (that's almost 10 lbs!)
    400 Watts RMS/800 peak

I also purchased an O-Audio 500 Watt Subwoofer Amplifier. It uses BASH technology to make 500 Watts of efficient, clean power. The biggest feature that sets it apart from the competition is the built-in parametric EQ, variable phase adjustment, and Adjustable Subsonic filter. Someone on AVS Forum tested this amp and found it produced a reliable 450 watts, which is actually pretty good! (Some 1,000 watt amplifiers produced just over 500)

The subwoofer design is one from John Krutke from Zaph Audio. Zaph Audio Archives Page He didn't name his subwoofer so "Zaph Sub" might be appropriate. I am making only minor changes to his design, mostly due to using a different (better?) amplifier.

It's a SEALED box of 2.72 gross internal volume, 2.3-2.4 cubic feet net volume. (I messed up on one of the dimensions, so my sub is 0.375" deeper). This equates to a Qtc of 0.74, an f3 of 36 Hz, and an f10 of 22 Hz (anechoic). At 500 watts it will exceed XMAX at sub 23Hz according to Zaph, but fortunately the subsonic filter at 25Hz will give us a little more headroom. Factoring in room gain, I should have solid output to 20 hz, while enjoying the optimal group delay and transient response of a sealed enclosure. The fairly large sealed size should help to keep harmonic distortion reasonable.

Construction: 3/4" MDF, double thick front baffle, 8 internal braces for the sides and an "H" brace for the back panel. 4 #0 biscuits for each but1-joint and 1/4" fluted dowels are also used to pin the ends of the 1.5"x1.5" internal braces.

Finish: Planned finish is black primer, black spray textured paint, and semi-gloss clear coat (just like Zaph sub). The sub driver, surround, basket, enclosure, amp, and hardware are all black, hence "The Raven".

This is a work in progress.
    All pictures in higher resolution with descriptive captions

**Moar Pics!**

H-brace in place to see how it fits- this was before I glued it to the back panel.

Amp cutout made with flush-trim bit. It's pretty, too bad it will be hidden.

Backside chamfer was hard to do with the hurricane nuts in place. this should help the woofer breathe.

Looking through the woofer hole and out the amp hole.

One thing I can't decide is if I should make the front, back, or both removable. Zaph made the front removable, but with such a large woofer hole, not sure if I need that. If I make the back removable, I could use a different amp later if I wanted to, and access the inside. Or, I could make them both fixed and scrap this enclosure if I ever stop using it. The more time I spend on making it look pretty, the worse this option becomes. Also if I use a removable front baffle, I could do a different woofer later- but i won't have as sleek an appearance- and RAVENS are sleek.

The whole thing for scale (on it's back)

It may only be 2.72 cubic feet internal (gross), but it's big compared to most store-bought subs. 19.5" deep, 18" high, 18" wide. (not counting knobs on the back)

Going to glue up the front baffle and come up with some small additional bracing for the front as well, thinking triangular battens.
    Last edited by djkest; 02-07-2012, 11:31 PM.
    -Dan
    Mandolin Curved Cabinet Floorstanding; Dayton Reference 18" sealed Subwoofer; Sealed 12" Dayton Reference Subwoofer ; Overnight Sensation builds

Re: RSS315HF-4 Sealed Subwoofer Build

Looks good. I made the same design and was very pleased with the outcome. Liked it so much I built matching pairs even though one would have been enough.
    My Home Theater Build thread
    My DIY Speaker builds

My Gear:
    Emotiva XMC-1
    Emotiva XPR-2
    Emotiva XPA-5
    Clearwave Dynamics 4T and 4CC (mains)
    Paradigm Millennia LP (surrounds)
    Oppo 103D
    Mede8er 600X3D w/ 4TB
    Marantz CD-5004
    AppleTV
    JVC RS-4910 Projector
    100" Screen Innovations Pure Gray Screen w/ LED kit
    APC Uninterrupted Power Supply (x2)
    iRule controlling it all....

Comment

Originally posted by djkest View Post
      found the Dayton RSS315HF-4 12" subwoofer on sale about 3 weeks ago and I had to get one.
      Highlights:
      Anodized Aluminum Cone
      Cast Aluminum Basket
      High-roll natural rubber surround
      150 oz magnet (that's almost 10 lbs!)
      400 Watts RMS/800 peak

I also purchased an O-Audio 500 Watt Subwoofer Amplifier. It uses BASH technology to make 500 Watts of efficient, clean power. The biggest feature that sets it apart from the competition is the built-in parametric EQ, variable phase adjustment, and Adjustable Subsonic filter. Someone on AVS Forum tested this amp and found it produced a realiable 450 watts, which is actually pretty good! (Some 1,000 watt amplifiers produced just over 500)

The subwoofer design is one from John Krutke from Zaph Audio. Zaph Audio Archives Page He didn't name his subwoofer so "Zaph Sub" might be appropriate. I am making only minor changes to his design, mostly due to using a different (better?) amplifier.

It's a SEALED box of 2.72 gross internal volume, 2.3-2.4 cubic feet net volume. (I messed up on one of the dimensions, so my sub is 0.75" deeper). This equates to a Qtc of 0.75, an f3 of 36 Hz, and an f10 of 22 Hz (anechoic). At 500 watts it will exceed XMAX at sub 23Hz according to Zaph, but fortunately the subsonic filter at 25Hz will give us a little more headroom. Factoring in room gain, I should have solid output to 20 hz, while enjoying the optimal group delay and transient response of a sealed enclosure. The fairly large sealed size should help to keep harmonic distortion reasonable and unintrusive.

Construction: 3/4" MDF, double thick front baffle, 8 internal braces for the sides and an "H" brace for the back panel. 4 #0 biscuits for each but1-joint and 1/4" fluted dowels are also used in some places to provide extra support.

Finish: Planned finish is black primer, black spray textured paint, and semi-gloss clear coat (just like Zaph sub). The sub driver, surround, basket, enclosure, amp, and hardware are all black, hence "The Raven".

This is a work in progress.
      All pictures in higher resolution with descriptive captions

**Moar Pics!**

H-brace in place to see how it fits- this was before I glued it to the back panel.

Amp cutout made with flush-trim bit. It's pretty, too bad it will be hidden.

Backside chamfer was hard to do with the hurricane nuts in place. this should help the woofer breathe.

Looking through the woofer hole and out the amp hole.

One thing I can't decide is if I should make the front, back, or both removable. Zaph made the front removable, but with such a large woofer hole, not sure if I need that. If I make the back removable, I could use a different amp later if I wanted to, and access the inside. Or, I could make them both fixed and scrap this enclosure if I ever stop using it. The more time I spend on making it look pretty, the worse this option becomes. Also if I use a removable front baffle, I could do a different woofer later- but i won't have as sleek an appearance- and RAVENS are sleek.

The whole thing for scale (on it's back)

It may only be 2.72 cubic feet internal (gross), but it's big compared to most store-bought subs. 19.5" deep, 18" high, 18" wide. (not counting knobs on the back)

Going to glue up the front baffle and come up with some small additional bracing for the front as well, thinking triangular battens.
      you can make the baffle removable use a piece of aluminum plate fast search on ebay. I know too much money and bigger then you need.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6061-T6-Alum...ht_1160wt_1141

Comment

Front baffle is glued on. I routed a 3/8" deep groove on the outside of the baffle, to countersink the baffle in 3/8". It fit very snugly. I skinned my knuckle really bad and got blood on everything (sub enclosure, saw, floor, workbench, etc). I also got a mega blood blister on my fingertip when the baffle popped into place on my finger. We've got the blood and sweat covered on this build (I also cut open my knee on a sharp cut MDF corner), hopefully no tears.

I made some triangular braces out of scrap MDF and put 12 of them inside the front baffle. Surely, it's overkill, but it makes me feel good.
        -Dan
        Mandolin Curved Cabinet Floorstanding; Dayton Reference 18" sealed Subwoofer; Sealed 12" Dayton Reference Subwoofer ; Overnight Sensation builds

Comment

Originally posted by djkest View Post
          Front baffle is glued on. I routed a 3/8" deep groove on the outside of the baffle, to countersink the baffle in 3/8". It fit very snugly. I skinned my knuckle really bad and got blood on everything (sub enclosure, saw, floor, workbench, etc). I also got a mega blood blister on my fingertip when the baffle popped into place on my finger. We've got the blood and sweat covered on this build (I also cut open my knee on a sharp cut MDF corner), hopefully no tears.

I made some triangular braces out of scrap MDF and put 12 of them inside the front baffle. Surely, it's overkill, but it makes me feel good.
          Oh please you cried, admit it, lol :D

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
          return to the source
          leviathan system thread
          deadhorse thread
          shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

This shows the 3/8" the front baffle was recessed into the box. This was a pain trying to balance the router on the edges and it was a little less than perfect. Sorry about the excessive glue leakage- I'll be fixing that later.

12 small triangular braces on the front baffle where it's needed most. Overkill? Probably. Hopefully pretty well sealed with all the glue I used.

Poor pic of the plate amp mounted and the removable back panel. The back panel has foam gasketing tape all around, and 8 1.5" pocket-hole screws clamp it down on the back in my strategically placed braces.

In place. Now if I could only get my wife to leave the house so I can test it... it seems she is almost allergic to bass. 2 weeks working on this thing and she just wants to watch Grey's Anatomy (no LFE)... :( :( :(

Picasa Link w/ updated pics

I have a nice Freud flush trim bit that I'm going to use, and then put roundovers and chamfers on the edges. I just really wanted to start testing it out. I'll probably be coating the inside and outside with glue or sanding sealer or both before I start finishing it. The combined size and weight makes it somewhat difficult to carry around. Since the driver weighs 25 lbs and the amp is 6 lbs, I'm guessing the whole thing is at least 70 lbs.
            Last edited by djkest; 12-13-2011, 11:11 AM.
            -Dan

Comment

It's doubtless overkill but the way I'd like one built. Beautiful Sub. Any thoughts yet on finish?
              'Soupy'

Comment

Great job on the bracing and overall on the build....very nice. If your wife is really allergic to BASS, like my wife is, I would not go crazy on the finish to the point where it will stick out and be a visual eye-sore to the spousal unit.

All my subs are black and tucked away in corners and out of sight as much as possible. If I ever have a man cave, that rule will not apply.

Also, I agree with Greywarden...you cried...just a little right? :D
                Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attach | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | COGAR, COUGAR II and COGAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

Thanks for the compliments guys. I must admit John Krutke "Zaph Audio" pretty much came up with the design. My changes were somewhat trivial. I did chose a different amplifier which I believe has superior EQ options and takes up much much less internal volume. (dayton has a plastic cover, but usually rattles so it gets enclosed).

No tears, but does cursing count? I'm pretty used to hurting myself in small ways everytime I make something.

Was thinking about roll-on truck bed liner, but last weekend I did some black textured paint with a black primer undercoat that I thought turned out really well. It will most definately be black though with a smoother finish and rounded / chamfered corners. Unfortunately finishing this could be a ways down the road. Seems like with spray paint I can do something that looks great in dim lighting, but poor in direct sunlight.
                  -Dan

Comment

Well, this last week it's been a challenge but I've finally finished it. It's been 5-39 degrees the whole time and I've had to try to get the spray painting done dealing with the temps.

Started off sealing the MDF with watered-down wood glue. This worked good but I had a hard time getting even coats.
                    Went something like this. 2 coats of bondo. Sand. Routered the edges. First used a flush trim bit everywhere. Then 3/8" roundover on the sides and 1/2" chamfer on the front. Lots of sanding. 2 coats of watered down wood glue. 2 coats black spray-on primer. I love this stuff. 2 coats black texture paint. 3 coats satin black rustoleum. 3 coats Deft Satin clear coat. So like 12 layers on the finish.

Anyway..
                    Here Comes the Bondo

Couple coats of primer on it.

Trying to get it to dry:

Done:

-Dan

Comment

It's a really, really tight fit. I had an extra 1/16" before the paint... should have done more.

I used 2-part epoxy to secure the hurricane nuts on the baffle. I think I'm going to keep doing this now.

Back panel is really rough. I don't much care.

Finished and in place!

It's not really as good as I wanted it to be, but it looks SO MUCH better than it did before being all raw MDF with glue leaking all over the place and 1/8" misaligned front baffle. Final (empty) box weight: 44.8 lbs. Final loaded box should be real close to 75 lbs.

Pics aren't the greatest. My lens is dusty and the flash really makes it look worse than it is. It will always be "in the shadows" and boy does it look pretty with the lights off.
                      Last edited by djkest; 02-08-2012, 10:26 AM.
                      -Dan

Comment

I dig the look. I like the roundover on the sides combined with the chamfer on the baffle. I don't know why I've never thought of doing that before! Looks cool...

-j

Comment

Originally posted by james_e5 View Post
                          I dig the look. I like the roundover on the sides combined with the chamfer on the baffle. I don't know why I've never thought of doing that before! Looks cool...

-j
                          Thanks man. I wanted a bigger chamfer on the front since I had over an INCH of thickness I could cut away, but chamfer bits that big are expensive... I went with the roundover on the sides because it took less away from the integrity of the but1-joints.
                          -Dan

Comment

Great job. Makes mine look so much more amateur. Are you still bottoming it out like you mentioned on my thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Mark the Red View Post
                              Great job. Makes mine look so much more amateur. Are you still bottoming it out like you mentioned on my thread?
                              I haven't had that problem since I raised the "subsonic filter" to 25 Hz. I think it's just certain program material at a certain level does it. I can reduce the boost if I want, I received the info from O-Audio.

Amp was $220
                              Sub driver was (on sale) for $109
                              Woofer mounting kit: $3 (from parts express, shipping was also free with subwoofer)
                              1 sheet MDF: $32 (have some left over)
                              1 2x2" pine $1.09
                              3' of 12 gauge speaker wire from lowes: $2.50
                              1 large bottle of tightbond 1: $7 (used 2/3 since I literally painted 2 coats of it on)
                              3 cans of spray paint $14 (rustoleum sandable black primer, black texture paint, satin black paint)
                              Deft clearcoat: $6 (used a 1/2 can)
                              Bondo: $8 (used maybe 1/4 of this)
                              So not counting tools, it was almost exactly $400, with some materials left over for the next project.

Lessons learned: clean up glue before it dries, don't use a wood chisel to remove it. Cold weather sucks for spray paint. Bondo is magic on MDF you are going to later paint, but smells like ****.
                              Last edited by djkest; 02-09-2012, 12:31 AM.
                              -Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X