Custom Veneered Component Shelves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Veneered Component Shelves

Hey Guys, I thought you guys might like to see some One-Off shelves Im building for a customer of mine. This is the first of many projects he and I have in the works so lots more will be posted in the future, but anyway .... The first in the "Projects" is replacement Component shelves. The shelves are 18" Deep X 25" wide X 2" thick HDF (high density fiberboard) most of you are familiar w/ MDF. This stuff is a lot more dense and stiffer not to mention heavier. I started off by Vacuum pressing 2 - 1" pieces together, did I mention this stuff is Heavy???

And heres what you have after a lot of cutting and Vacuum pressing. The wholes are 2" off each corner to the center and are an 1 7/8" OD with an ID of 1 1/2".Each hole will have a nylon bushing installed to to protect the Veneer from the threaded rod from chipping the veneer when installed.

The Veneer my client chose is "Angel Step Burl" Maple. Very beautiful and highly figured.

Here you can see the first edge after it has been veneered, you can do it either way but I like doing the edges then the flats.

Hope you enjoy.. R.K.

Re: Custom Veneered Component Shelves

I want to build a flexy rack like this. I'm follwing this one for sure. looks good.

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
    return to the source
    leviathan system thread
    deadhorse thread
    shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

My new favorite veneer! I've never heard of it, so I'm guessing it's pretty rare...?
      Some of my audio projects:http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/

Comment

Update, After all the edge banding is done and flush cut its time for the Vacuum press. Now ill tell you if you can ever find yourself in the position to buy one , buy one. It will evermore change the way you do veneer work. To do it and do it right you will have between $ 800 - $ 1000 invested but its worth every penny if you do much of it. The first 3 pix show the veneer being pressed @ 20" of mercury.

The next few pix is 45 min later, the cold press glue is Rock hard, the shelves have been removed and the edges can now be flushed trimmed.

For those who may be wondering , the bit im using isnt your typical flush trim bit. A flush trim bit will work pretty good on most veneers but when it comes to Burls or any figured wood there is a good chance of tearout. This bit is a "Downward spiral" not an "Up spiral" w/ a bottom bearing. What this does, is as the bit cuts its cutting in a downward sheering motion which the veneer is supported by the substrate. An up spiral tend to want to try to "Lift" the unsupported veneer resulting in chipping or tearout.

The next 2 pix shows where the center of the hole has been located and punched through.

Next the router has been inserted w/ the same bit and the hole can be cut. In the last pix you can see the nylon bushing fits like a glove , ready for glueing in place once the shelf has been finished.

This last pix in this portion shows a common problem in working w/ burl. In all my yrs working w/ veneer I have yet to get in burls that I didnt have to deal w/ a hole somewhere in the burl. In the next few days Ill show you how I deal with this to achive a perfect match which will make this invisible.

to be continued. R.K.

Comment

Originally posted by xavier View Post
          My new favorite veneer! I've never heard of it, so I'm guessing it's pretty rare...?
          Xavier, I wouldnt say its Rare Rare but it sure isnt cheap! I usually dont have much trouble finding it. But I must say its a "Bitch" to work with! R.K.

Comment

Originally posted by Randall Kepley View Post
            Update, After all the edge banding is done and flush cut its time for the Vacuum press. Now ill tell you if you can ever find yourself in the position to buy one , buy one. It will evermore change the way you do veneer work. To do it and do it right you will have between $ 800 - $ 1000 invested but its worth every penny if you do much of it. The first 3 pix show the veneer being pressed @ 20" of mercury.
            Nothing is quite as satisfying as turning MDF into something of beauty with veneer. This looks like it's going to be a very nice rack.

Are you using a vacuum pump or venturi? It's been some years now, but I don't think I have more than $350 in my venturi pump and 53" square bag. Not counting the compressor, of course. :rolleyes:

I am looking forward to your repair technique.
            If life were fair, Elvis would still be alive today and all the impersonators would be dead.
            ~ Johnny Carson

Bungelow Ed's Photo Album http://techtalk.parts-express.com/album.php?u=8594

Comment

Originally posted by bungelow_ed View Post
              Nothing is quite as satisfying as turning MDF into something of beauty with veneer. This looks like it's going to be a very nice rack.

Are you using a vacuum pump or venturi? It's been some years now, but I don't think I have more than $350 in my venturi pump and 53" square bag. Not counting the compressor, of course. :rolleyes:

I am looking forward to your repair technique.
              Thanks Ed, I opted for a pump on mine, the one I use will pull down almost 6 CFM which is sucking down some air, now I could have opted for then venturi system and dont get me wrong its about as good as it gets as long as you have a compressor to handle the air need to run one , which I do , but my vacuum unit is portable. I can take it on the job, weighs about 20lbs and doesnt take up much room. I cant haul around an 80gal compressor if I need it mobile. But to have a venturi unit that will handle air mine pulls down there almost dollar for dollar the same price.

Now you can shop around and cobble a unit together a little cheaper but when I got into it I wanted to hit the ground running. R.K.

Comment

If you make a living with it or you need portability you would want something more robust than I built. Not many DIY'ers need 6 CFM.
                If life were fair, Elvis would still be alive today and all the impersonators would be dead.
                ~ Johnny Carson

Bungelow Ed's Photo Album http://techtalk.parts-express.com/album.php?u=8594

Comment

I met a guy that lived around here, that build one into his workshop table as a pull out shelf, it was big enough to do some 30" or so tall speakers, too.

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
                  return to the source
                  leviathan system thread
                  deadhorse thread
                  shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Working...
                  X