ND90's - Black Diamonds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ND90's - Black Diamonds

I just wanted to share some speakers I put together for use as a computer speaker system or background music outside. I threw the finish on rather quickly so it's not as nice as I'd like. But if you're not looking too closely they do look rather "cool."

There will eventually be little stands built so that they stand upright.

http://photobucket.com/blackdiamonds
    People hear with their eyes.

Re: ND90's - Black Diamonds

The diamond shape is very novel, kind of Eshcer (sp?) like. The single posted picture does not do them just. Until I checked photobucket it was not clear what I was seeing.

Are you using any attenuation? What's the cabinet volume?
    If life were fair, Elvis would still be alive today and all the impersonators would be dead.
    ~ Johnny Carson

Bungelow Ed's Photo Album http://techtalk.parts-express.com/album.php?u=8594

Comment

yes this pic is decieving. they are cool. kinda like aaaa black diamonds. well done. finish looks great. how do the sound?
      " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
      Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
      http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

wow, those really play tricks on my eyes. for a min. i thought it was a bad photochop job. thumbs up

Comment

For some reason, I have the urge to get lots of them together and stack them to make geometric shapes.
          Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
          Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Sorry guys, I really didn't mean to be misleading at all with them. :o

I am not using any attenuation - just running them full range off one of the 2ch Lepai amps. The volume is about .037 ft^3 or just over 1 liter. They sound great! Especially for big band and acoustic tracks (think Alison Krauss). But even throwing on "Today's top hits" on Pandora they still sound great.

Oh, and Paul, I did spend a little time goofing around with them and seeing what shapes I could make by stacking/standing them together! Once I get the stands built I'll post some more pictures.

Thanks for the kind words!

- Dan

Comment

Alright, I finally got the stand finished for them.

I used a black iron on material that is used for RC airplanes. It was a decent idea and DID work well on a flat piece (like the fronts and backs of these). However, the angled sides proved difficult. Overall, I think sticking with a paint and just calling it "good enough" would have been a better direction. Oh well - lesson learned!

- Dan

Comment

So- Are the Rhomboids mounted or just sitting in there?

I also see the right-side of the stand has an open cavity, is that for access/storage?

Just curious,
                Wolf
                "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                  So- Are the Rhombi mounted or just sitting in there?

I also see the right-side of the stand has an open cavity, is that for access/storage?

Just curious,
                  Wolf
                  ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
                    So- Are the Rhomboids mounted or just sitting in there?

Just curious,
                    Wolf
                    They are just sitting there. That way they can be moved and placed differently (like in the first pictures) much easier.

I wish I could say that the opening was for something smart like storage. Really though, I just made the "stand" with four sides and then added a piece in the middle for the amp to set on. In retrospect I could have made it a little larger and then done all the wiring internally but...alas.

Comment

These look pretty neat. Nice job.
                      ~Marty

Baby Eidolons
                      Sapphos
                      Cables (Post #54)
                      Other speakers (Post #21)
                      Design Thoughts (Posts: 6,10,13,33,35)
                      Boundary Augmentation
                      Dispersion/Interference

Comment

Neat build. I know you want to put a subwoofer in the stand;)

Comment

Working...
                        X