An off-kilter 3-way: The Ziggurats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An off-kilter 3-way: The Ziggurats

This is hopefully the culmination of a long drawn out attempt to make good use of a pair of HiVi F8 woofers. At first they were part of an 8" 2-way design. But after hearing another F8 based 2-way at DIY Iowa in 2010, the thought occurred to me that the F8 was ballsy enough to carry the bottom of a rockin' 3-way. This is how a long journey has finally wound up.

The drivers:

HiVi F8 woofer, RS52AN-8 2-inch dome mid, and the RS28A-4 aluminum dome tweeter.

The goals:

1) To utilize the HiVi F8 as the basis of a 3-way.
    2) To give the F8 enough volume to produce the bass exhibited in Robert's "Throwbacks", yet disguise that volume in a unique design that would blend in with it's surroundings (flanking a low TV stand).

The cabinet is somewhat like a tower split diagonally down it's length. Thrown alongside a tv stand you get what looks like a ziggurat, hence the name. Outside dimensions are approximately 13" wide at the base, 13 inches deep and nearly 31" tall. The net volume is around 30 liters. These are ported out the back with a 3" flared port with tuning of approximately 40 Hz.

These are in the tweak and evaluate stage. I have them placed on 10" stands right alongside a 24" tall TV stand holding a 55" LED TV. I like the bass. I know some folks aren't fans of the RS52. In the workouts I've given them so far the mid hasn't been the least bit irritating. So far, so good, but I don't know if I'd call them finished yet. Also, the jury is still out on whether the design meets SAF requirements. Grilling that bright yellow F8 may still be needed.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by turn2; 02-12-2012, 09:08 PM. Reason: Typo

Re: An off-kilter 3-way: The Ziggurats

I like it. I too, have put my F8 in a 3-way paired with a peerless 5 1/4" paper midwoofer and vifa dq25. Gifted it to my brother-in-law for Christmas and he is loving it. The bass is capable of rattling his walls. We tried, if only for a short time.

Comment

I've seen the Ziggurat temple near Talil (Adder) in Iraq I couldn't go in it though, they weren't doing tours anymore, and I had like 4 hours to hit the road after I woke up :rolleyes:

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
      return to the source
      leviathan system thread
      deadhorse thread
      shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Turn, you'd make AndyG proud!
        Some of my audio projects:http://www.flickr.com/photos/8626051@N04/sets/

Comment

I like these. Are they all black? I think I see veneer in some of the pictures.

Comment

To cool man! I like out side the box thinking, you've executed that design quite well.
            A mains
            The Ventures
            Open Invit8tions
            RSR
            Sound Troopers
            Acorns
            DGBG's
            The Monuments

Comment

Originally posted by xavier View Post
              Turn, you'd make AndyG proud!
              Just what I was thinking...
              Nicely done. Hope that RS52 sounds alright to you.

Later,
              Wolf
              "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
              "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
              "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
              "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
              http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

To be honest, not my cup o' tea, but a very well executed concept and is good to see something other than another rectangle. Well done, and that woofer looks striking against that black.
                Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Damn fine work! I feel like it's been years since we've seen some crazy cabinets like that. Great execution!

I always liked Andy G's adage: "Cutting crooked's real easy. It's cutting straight that's hard."
                  Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                  Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Cool!

Reminds me of a couple builds I did a long time ago.

R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                    Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                    "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

I've got a couple more shots. One shows the veneer. (Theres also some tape residue around the baffle that has since been cleaned up.) It is a generic open grained oak that I'm not real fond of. Sort of stuck with it now, unless I take drastic measures. It does make a bold statement.

The other shot shows the set-up where the speakers now reside. Keep in mind the lens is making things look round at the edges. I'm not using the center channel with them. I'm hoping these will eventually move to a different room with a smaller TV and a bit narrower stand, and no center or sub.
                      Attached Files

Comment

I like them! Nice to see something different. I don't think I will ever build another all 90 degree speaker. I think they would look good with a full grille, then the oak sides would be more of draw to the eye. A solid stand would look better too I think, plus that open box area underneath may cause a resonance. Good job!

Comment

Pretty nifty Turn2. Looking pretty darn nice, despite your reservations on the veneer.

How do they sound? What did you wind up with for XOs?
                          R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                          Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                          "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

All they need is some tie dyed grilles and they'd be totally groovy man! All kidding aside, they look great, nice job.
                            My modest builds:
                            Armadillo TM, A.K.A. Lil' Dillo
                            Tarkus/Armadillo build #2
                            Armadillo Center Channel
                            Au-Rock-O Sub
                            Tarkus
                            Staining MDF tutorial

Comment

Pretty nifty Turn2. Looking pretty darn nice, despite your reservations on the veneer.

How do they sound? What did you wind up with for XOs?

Thanks, Pete. I'm pretty happy with the sound so far. With a 3-day weekend coming up I should get a chance for more long listening. With the goofy baffle dimensions the PCD work was a real learning experience. Getting that RS52 under control isn't a simple matter either.

BTW, the stands are just some cheap pine steps from a hobby store painted black. At one time I considered adding stubby legs to the speaker. Once I figure out the listening height I prefer I'll do something more permanent.
                              Last edited by turn2; 02-15-2012, 07:41 AM. Reason: Stands?

Comment

Working...
                              X