Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building Schumakubin MKII

Hello everyone,

I am building Pete's Schumakubin MKII. I had a pair of empty cabs that has been stored in my garage for 6 or so years. A few weeks ago my brother-in-law asked me to build him a set of HT speakers so I looked around on the web for a tower speaker design using five 7" drivers and I noticed the Schumakubin MKII. It just so happened that the DA175s fit perfectly in the speaker cut-outs of my cabinets. The only problem is the RS28F wont fit in the tweeter hole. So far I only built one speaker. The drivers are spaced much further apart then Pete's plans and right now I am using a fabric dome just for testing. It sounds pretty good already and I think with the proper RS28F tweeter it will sound excellent. The configuration of the cabinets are: 2 upper woofers share a 1cf compartment. Mid DA175 has a .3cf compartment, 2 lower woofers share a 1.4 cf compartment. By next week I should be finished assembling the second speaker.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Re: Building Schumakubin MKII

looks pretty nice.

Are you going to have to adjust the crossover due to the increased driver spacing?

When you get the second one done, do another photo for us. Thanks.
    ~Marty

Baby Eidolons
    Sapphos
    Cables (Post #54)
    Other speakers (Post #21)
    Design Thoughts (Posts: 6,10,13,33,35)
    Boundary Augmentation
    Dispersion/Interference

Comment

you just happen to have 6foot cabs in your garage?:eek: what else you got in there?

thats a nice driver.
      " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
      Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
      http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Originally posted by ReissM View Post
        looks pretty nice.

Are you going to have to adjust the crossover due to the increased driver spacing?

When you get the second one done, do another photo for us. Thanks.
        Since the baffles are different it might be a problem but I will see how hey sound after they are completed.

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
        you just happen to have 6foot cabs in your garage?:eek: what else you got in there?
        Actually at one point I had 10 sets of these cabs. When Amrita Audio went out of business I bought all of their Jovian Pillar parts I still have a pair of Jovian Pillars in Black lacquer

Comment

Originally posted by apoopoo999 View Post
          Hello everyone,

I am building Pete's Schumakubin MKII. I had a pair of empty cabs that has been stored in my garage for 6 or so years. A few weeks ago my brother-in-law asked me to build him a set of HT speakers so I looked around on the web for a tower speaker design using five 7" drivers and I noticed the Schumakubin MKII. It just so happened that the DA175s fit perfectly in the speaker cut-outs of my cabinets. The only problem is the RS28F wont fit in the tweeter hole. So far I only built one speaker. The drivers are spaced much further apart then Pete's plans and right now I am using a fabric dome just for testing. It sounds pretty good already and I think with the proper RS28F tweeter it will sound excellent. The configuration of the cabinets are: 2 upper woofers share a 1cf compartment. Mid DA175 has a .3cf compartment, 2 lower woofers share a 1.4 cf compartment. By next week I should be finished assembling the second speaker.

What's that heat-sinked thingy on the wall? Some sort of amp or power conditioner? Them's be a lot of wires sticking out of it.

TomZ
          *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
          *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
            What's that heat-sinked thingy on the wall? Some sort of amp or power conditioner? Them's be a lot of wires sticking out of it.

TomZ
            Thats the amplifier from a cheap jvc 5.1 system. It was originally attached to the subwoofer box. I threw the sub away and put a 10" sub in my ceiling.

Finally finished them, testing them with a sony receiver for now. So far they sound pretty good. Highs and Mids are really smooth. Im use to listening to my small book shelves so I was pretty impressed with the extra definition in the lows. Now I need to build a set of these for myself :D

Comment

Very nice. I thought they were black in the first picture. Nice speaker cables too.

Rick

Comment

Nice. Glad you're liking them so far.

Who are they for, if not for you?
                R = h/(2*pi*m*c) and don't you forget it! || Periodic Table as redrawn by Marshall Freerks and Ignatius Schumacher || King Crimson Radio
                Byzantium Project & Build Thread || MiniByzy Build Thread || 3 x Peerless 850439 HDS 3-way || 8" 2-way - RS28A/B&C8BG51

95% of Climate Models Agree: The Observations Must be Wrong
                "Gravitational systems are the ashes of prior electrical systems.". - Hannes Alfven, Nobel Laureate, Plasma physicist.

Comment

Thats the amplifier from a cheap jvc 5.1 system. It was originally attached to the subwoofer box. I threw the sub away and put a 10" sub in my ceiling.

Finally finished them, testing them with a sony receiver for now. So far they sound pretty good. Highs and Mids are really smooth. Im use to listening to my small book shelves so I was pretty impressed with the extra definition in the lows. Now I need to build a set of these for myself :D

I spy Acoustic Research speakers

Comment

Nice. Glad you're liking them so far.

Who are they for, if not for you?
                    Hey Pete, these things can get really loud. I tried playing Hugh Masekela Coal Train at ear-bleeding volume and the speakers didnt even break a sweat. These speakers are for my brother-in-law, he just finished construction of his man cave lol. Im testing them in my tiny living room and there really isnt enough room for large speakers. The seating is about 7 feet from the speakers and the imaging is not as well defined as my smaller speakers that are in my bedroom. I think they may sound better in the larger space that my bro-in-law is planning to have them occupy.

Originally posted by AR3A View Post
                    I spy Acoustic Research speakers
                    Yes those are a set of AR3a with AR3 Alnico woofers. I dont really use them much anymore. Probably because Im afraid I might break them, those drivers are pretty old lol. But the cabs are still in amazingly good condition.

Comment

Hey Pete, these things can get really loud. I tried playing Hugh Masekela Coal Train at ear-bleeding volume and the speakers didnt even break a sweat. These speakers are for my brother-in-law, he just finished construction of his man cave lol. Im testing them in my tiny living room and there really isnt enough room for large speakers. The seating is about 7 feet from the speakers and the imaging is not as well defined as my smaller speakers that are in my bedroom. I think they may sound better in the larger space that my bro-in-law is planning to have them occupy.

Yes those are a set of AR3a with AR3 Alnico woofers. I dont really use them much anymore. Probably because Im afraid I might break them, those drivers are pretty old lol. But the cabs are still in amazingly good condition.
                      Awesome man, I sadly don't have a pair but I converted one to use as a subwoofer. I must say it hits low and accurate I will find a pair one day.

Comment

Working...
                      X