Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

"Overnight" Encores! Faux Carbon fiber

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Overnight" Encores! Faux Carbon fiber

Thought I'd show my attempt at the faux carbon fiber application. I love the look of TrickyMikes' ONS MTM he recently showcased and this is where I got the idea. Ironically, I've had the drivers for these for quite a while and just decided last minute yesterday to do this project while I wait for the panels to set on the PMS build. I started on these at 5 PM yesterday and here they are as of 9:00 PM tonight. Only 1 is completely finished.. I woulda had the other done if it weren't for pesky guests for the ball games!! lol. I'll give my impressions once I have these completely done. I'm currently using stock XO's, but will most likely build Jeff B's version in the near future. Thanks for checking it out!
    Chris
    Attached Files

Re: "Overnight" Encores! Faux Carbon fiber

Cool, good job! So which type of faux CF did you use?
    A mains
    The Ventures
    Open Invit8tions
    RSR
    Sound Troopers
    Acorns
    DGBG's
    The Monuments

Comment

Excellent! Very nice look.
      ~Marty

Baby Eidolons
      Sapphos
      Cables (Post #54)
      Other speakers (Post #21)
      Design Thoughts (Posts: 6,10,13,33,35)
      Boundary Augmentation
      Dispersion/Interference

Comment

Originally posted by 6thplanet View Post
        Cool, good job! So which type of faux CF did you use?
        It's this on ebay. Pretty nice to work with.

Here are the completed photos! Had a few minutes to listen to them. I built these for the wife and she actually likes them... success!
        Attached Files

Comment

Do you have any close ups of the seams? Not to judge your work, but curious how you did it. They look absolutely flawless from the pics you uploaded.

If it looks easy enough, I'm going to try for that on my next build.

Comment

Originally posted by lucasa.miller View Post
            Do you have any close ups of the seams? Not to judge your work, but curious how you did it. They look absolutely flawless from the pics you uploaded.

If it looks easy enough, I'm going to try for that on my next build.
            They are definitely NOT flawless but they look great from a couple of feet away. I used a utility knife razor blade and I went through 4 of them on these 2 speakers. IOW, it takes a very sharp..something... to make nice, clean cuts. I will try to get closer photos and post later.
            Chris

Comment

Working...
            X