Alphabet Soup - OS MTM MLTL

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alphabet Soup - OS MTM MLTL

The Soup Du Jour is...... an MLTL version of Paul Carmody's venerable OS MTMs.

Do to concerns about my acumen with Mr. Martins worksheets I have kept this project under wraps for the last couple of months. Initial listening this evening indicates that the pieces of the project have come together as hoped, and so I share with the the TT community.

First the simulation. The TL is tuned to 40Hz with a 3" x 6.75" port. The worksheet and graphs are shown with 30W input and 3.6 ohm impedance. Both x-max and port velocity are within specification or accepted practice. IIRC, SPL is within 2dB from 40Hz to 1kHz. Stuffing is 0.7 lb/cu ft, which works out to 0.4lbs/box. TL length is 42" and 43.5" overall, using 3/4" MDF. Baffle width was maintained per original design and depth is 9.75".

Box construction is mitered corners with an 1/8" Wenge inset at 45 deg. Veneers are Qtr Claro Walnut with false baffle and pedestal in flat black and semi-gloss poly. Veneer will will be finished with tung oil, applied over the next week.

First listening impressions are that they are not bass shy, producing a very satisfying stand-up bass and kettle drums. My 12 yr old son commented that he could feel the bass line during an Eva Cassidy duet. Overall sound is a balanced OS MTM with increased bass extension.
    Attached Files
    If life were fair, Elvis would still be alive today and all the impersonators would be dead.
    ~ Johnny Carson

Bungelow Ed's Photo Album http://techtalk.parts-express.com/album.php?u=8594

Re: Alphabet Soup - OS MTM MLTL

The pics, raw and a little rough still...... The Holdouts are a good representation of what the finish will look like.
    Attached Files
    If life were fair, Elvis would still be alive today and all the impersonators would be dead.
    ~ Johnny Carson

Comment

Very nice work!
      Audiophiles listen to the equipment, not the music.

Comment

A Quick Question.

So, do we just need to extend the box volume and change the port dimensions? Are the speaker placement on the baffle the same - so take Paul's OS MTM and just extend the box downwards as per the TL dimensions?

Any change to the crossover?

This looks like an interesting project.

Comment

Nice work. Are you going to post a write-up with cabinet plans and xover?

Comment

Man you really do justice to Paul's designs. :D

If you do one of these with the Speedster, I'm going to have no choice but to copy you and replace my HT mains....Um.... then I will have to build a new CC....Damn you got me rebuilding my whole HT... :eek: Oh my bad...you have not yet done the Speedster MLTL....whew.

EDIT - no rush on the Speedster MLTL
            Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub AttachÚ | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO▄GAR, COUGAR II and CO▄GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

So now they are unveiled!! They look awesome!! I can't wait to hear em, or any other of your builds!

Comment

Ed, you definitely have a way w/ the veneer.

If you have a moment, perhaps a little discussion on the Wenge inset and your technique?
                I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.
                OS MTMs http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=220388
                Swope TM http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=221818
                Econowave and Audio Nirvana AN10 fullrange http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=216841
                Imperial Russian Stouts http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...=1#post1840444
                LECBOS. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ghlight=lecbos

Comment

Steve - Thanks for the positive comment. It's always nice when a more experienced member gives a nod of approval.

Ani - I will post my CAD drawing this evening. Need to convert it to something that I can post and stay within the file limits. Basically, it's just a 43.5"x6.5"x9.25" tube. The ends and an added window brace provide stiffening and stuffing control. IIRC, Port center is 10" up from the bottom and window brace is 23" down from top. X-over is all Paul, why mess with perfection?

Dom - Cabinet plans will be posted this evening. You will have to decide what construction type you want to use though. I did pre-veneered panels with mitered edges. I recommend **** joints for simplicity.

Bryan - Now that you mention it.....nah, my build list is to long already. I might be tempted to do a simulation to see if it's feasible. You will be the first to know.

Eric - You have an open invite. Maybe you can bring your project down when you come. I'd love to see what other NW speaker geeks are spending their time on.

Fastbike1 - Like most of what I do the edge technique is very simple if you have a table saw. I know you do!

Mine is a left tilting saw. I made a sacrificial fence out of MDF, slid the fence over to the blade set at a 45 degree angle. Incrementally raise the blade and slide the fence until you get a centered cut on a practice corner. Depending on the desired amount of reveal you might use a normal kerf or dado saw. Wenge was pre-cut to size, in my case 1/2"x1/8"x44". It pays to cut a little thick and sand to kerf width.
                  ~ Johnny Carson

Comment

Nice work, Sir.

I'm curious about the technique you use to apply clear poly over the black paint on the baffle and base. Every time I've done that in the past, the clear poly gets yellow pretty quick. Are you using a water based product?

TomZ
                    *Veneering curves, seams, using heat-lock iron on method *Trimming veneer & tips *Curved Sides glue-up video
                    *Part 2 *Gluing multiple curved laminations of HDF *Cello's Speaker Project Page

*Building the "Micro-B 2.1 Plate Amplifier -- Part 1 * Part 2 * Part 3 * Part 4 * * Part 5 'Review' * -- Assembly Instructions PDF

Comment

Originally posted by tomzarbo View Post
                      Nice work, Sir.

I'm curious about the technique you use to apply clear poly over the black paint on the baffle and base. Every time I've done that in the past, the clear poly gets yellow pretty quick. Are you using a water based product?

TomZ
                      Thanks Tom!

I'm not at home just now to confirm brands, but it's a low cost black lacquer from Home Depot and the spray on Poly is the same. I did let the lacquer cure for 24 hrs before spraying the poly. Otherwise, no special technique. I'll check brands and post them tonight.
                      ~ Johnny Carson

Comment

I would love it.. now the find the time..

so far my project just cut braces..

Comment

Originally posted by witchdr View Post
                          I would love it.. now the find the time..

so far my project just cut braces..
                          What are your curved walls going to be made from? If you get down here we probably could get your sides cut and ready quickly. Depending, gluing up the boxes could be done in a day. Just a thought....
                          ~ Johnny Carson

Comment

Per request, CAD in JPG format. I hope this is readable.

A couple of pictures of the backside.

Also, a picture of the paint/poly finish materials.

I did a little listening earlier with SPL meter in hand... +90dB at 3 ft with no problem and no chuffing.

Music was Gretchen Peters "Circus Girl", acoustic guitar, piano, bass, horns and vocals. I've recently heard her live and reproduction was accurate to levels subjectively louder than her performances.

Now my son is hawking me for the OS TMs. Hmmm, better than collecting dust I suppose.
                            Attached Files
                            ~ Johnny Carson

Comment

Originally posted by bungelow_ed View Post
                              What are your curved walls going to be made from? If you get down here we probably could get your sides cut and ready quickly. Depending, gluing up the boxes could be done in a day. Just a thought....
                              I haven't quite figured that out yet.. but maybe you could point me in the right direction. After all you do have more experience than I. I might have to take you up on that offer, I will try to get the skeletons together as soon as I can.

Eric

Comment

Working...
                              X