• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alphabet Soup - OS MTM MLTL

What does the TL stand for? You guys use a ton of acronyms. :p

Comment

Transmission line. MLTL is mass loaded transmission line which is what this design is. Acronym heaven here, learning the TLA's can be tough, just don't be afraid to ask.
      If life were fair, Elvis would still be alive today and all the impersonators would be dead.
      ~ Johnny Carson

Bungelow Ed's Photo Album http://techtalk.parts-express.com/album.php?u=8594

Comment

Originally posted by bungelow_ed View Post
        Yes, you are correct. This is the full, largely unadulterated, Paul Carmody OS MTM driver complement, drive spacing and cross-over. One word of caution though, Paul has not commented on this variation and so I do not know that he approves of my cabinet modifications. I can say that he has been enthusiatic about other tower implementations in the past.
        I didn't comment yet? My bad. What you've done, Ed, is great! I think you crossed all the i's and dotted all the t's with the simulation that you could, and then put it to the test and built it. (Sharp-looking build, too)

I'm not a Transmission Line guy. it's not that I don't like the sound; I've heard lots of Paul K-designed TLs that sounded quite nice! The main thing that keeps me away from building them is that they tend to make for larger boxes than I want. (Perhaps if I didn't have so many speakers around the house already :o) Anyway, I'm very impressed with this execution, and i hope I get to hear a pair someday.
        -Paul
        Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
        Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Always nice to hear that the master approves of the pupils work. Not that I was fishing, just didn't want to portray them as something they are not.

If no one builds them close to you, you are always welcome to stop by when you are in the NW. No pressure, but probably some good food, drink and a growing collection of DIY treasures to play with. There are some other guys up here that would also make you feel welcome. :D
          If life were fair, Elvis would still be alive today and all the impersonators would be dead.
          ~ Johnny Carson

Comment

Holy Necromancer, batman!

Mr. Bungelow_ed - I probably should have asked well prior to now, but I loved your design and decided to build a version of my own. I just wanted to thank you for this build log and post, and also wanted to apologize.

Here is my build log on another site (imgur). i may make a build log of the process here if other's are interested enough.
            Post with 5 votes and 265 views. Shared by MandelbrotFractalBear. Overnight Sensation MTM TL Home theater build

Comment

Fractals,

Glad you like the OS MLTL. I haven't played mine in about 5 yrs., though I still have them stored and collecting dust. Your baffle looks much nicer than my square baffle. As for an apology, not needed and I have no idea what you would apologize for. Enjoy your build and I hope you build the curved cabinets some day. There is really nothing quite as satisfying as making sheet goods conform to your curve.
              ~ Johnny Carson

Comment

Working...
              X