X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jsr
    started a topic The Nichikuros

The Nichikuros

Well, this is my first post in this forum as I've finally completed (mostly) my first design. I call it the Nichikuro. It's a combination of the japanese words Ni (two), Iichi (one) and Kuro (black). This is because this is the second speaker I've built, but my first own design I've built and it's black. And no, I'm not japanese. I just suck at coming up with names for designs and I thought that sounded cool.

The monitors use the buyout Peerless 831735 Nomex woofer and a Vifa NE25VTA aluminum dome tweeter. Fb is about 38Hz and obviously uses the PE/Dayton 0.5cf curved cabinet.

The sub is a PE/Dayton 0.75cf TM curved cabinet housing a pair of TB 1139si subs. They dig deep and can shake my floor when I'm running a 20Hz sine wave test signal through them. Right now, they're wired in series. Right now it has a 2" port and with any decent power, there's a lot of port noise. I'm going to increase the port size soon.

I'm not good at the colorful wording to describe the sound of speakers. I have a pair of Speedsters that I use as my reference speaker and a pair of Overnight Sensations. Compared to the Speedsters, I can tell the Speedsters are voiced to have a stronger mid and upper bass than the mids while the Nichikuros have a bit more bias toward the midrange. I like the midrange clarity the most, particularly for female vocals and strings. Highs are surprisingly "airy" for a metal dome with some of that "sparkle" I love from the Speedster's ribbon. It doesn't match the Speedsters in the high end sparkle, but it's darn good for a dome. Not harsh, but detailed.

The low end extension is what probably surprised me the most. In my living room with the room gain, it will hit mid-30s with authority, to the point that it really sounds like I have my sub on. I didn't expect the small 6.5 Peerless drivers to have such good bass output in only 0.5cf.
    When my wife and I had our first listening session in the living room with the Nichikuros, I think she described it best when she said "it sounds like I'm in the studio with the artist while they're recording". The Speedsters have a soothing sound that I like to listen to late at night, while the Nichikuros have me really enjoying the midrange details and clarity and bass. So nice to have both sets.
    I'm very happy with the end result acoustically (less so aesthetically). For $110 worth of drivers and $60 for xover, I really love the way these turned out (again, acoustically).

Some have asked about the crossover, so I attached a picture. There are a couple of notes in the xover picture. What I have in the xover is what I used. Simulations show replacing the second cap with a 3.6uF will improve phase tracking, but honestly, I don't hear any phase issues with the 6.8uF. The padding resistor just before the tweeter can be adjusted between 4 to 8 ohms. I'm using 8ohms presently, but may try 6.5ohms. Use this to adjust for the room variations (reflective, absorbing).

For the baffle, both woofer and tweeter are centered horizontally. The woofer is centered 145mm from the bottom. The tweeter is centered 285mm from the bottom (resulting in ~0.5" edge to edge spacing between drivers).

Port is a 2" ID x 10" long tuning the box to ~38Hz. I forgot the F3, but it digs deep. I'll edit this when I check the F3 and F6 simulated values.

Anyway, I attached a few pics. The baffles look horrible as I don't have any actual woodworking tools. All the cutouts and recesses were made with a hole saw kit and my dremel by hand. You can especially tell all the "oops" I made on the subwoofer baffle. While others have a nack for amazing cabinetry, I have one for horrible cabinetry. I'm just glad I like the sound, especially for my first design.
    Thanks for looking.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jsr; 05-01-2012, 08:36 PM.

• jsr
    replied
    Re: The Nichikuros

I went to that UPS center until a couple of years ago when they opened a UPS store closer by. I probably saw you there before and didn't know it!

Leave a comment:

• upsman
    replied

I worked at UPS Baldwin Park..................34 yrs

upsman

Leave a comment:

• jsr
    replied

I'm not very far from Baldwin Park. Yeah, In-n-Out's "university" is out in BP. No In-n-Out in Az? I love In-n-Out (as I'm sure my gut and cholesterol indicates).

Leave a comment:

• Mark65
    replied

Hmmm, near El Monte, close to Covina.....Baldwin Park?

Dammit, remembering SoCal makes me want In-N-Out......

Mark

Leave a comment:

• jsr
    replied

I'll take a closer front on view of the tweeter cutout. You'll see how bad the cutout is for the recess.

Mark,
    I'm in San Gabriel Valley, near El Monte, so very close to Covina. I'd appreciate more experienced ears and listening to anything you'd like to bring and share.

Brian,
    I do have some wood filler I bought for my floors that I can probably use. I don't paint well enough to just do a part of it. If I redo it, I'll repaint the whole baffle so it looks uniformly bad. Ha.

Leave a comment:

• Brian Steele
    replied

Originally posted by jsr View Post
    Haha, that means the baffles are even worse than I thought because I actually already used a black sharpy over all the areas I screwed up.
    One word - Bondo . Use that to fill in the gaps, sand smooth, then touch up with gloss black spray paint. Mask off the rest of the baffle to ensure you don't end up sanding or spraying where you don't need to. Or, if you're feeling brave, apply bondo, sand bondo AND baffle, then paint the entire thing.

I am a horrible carpenter / joiner. Bondo and woodfiller are permanent parts of my toolkit .

Leave a comment:

• Mark65
    replied

SoCal is a pretty easy drive from here, what city are you in? I grew up in Covina, LA area is my old stomping grounds. I'd make a trip out there to see and hear and show some stuff.

Mark

Leave a comment:

• ReissM
    replied

You're too hard on yourself... these are pretty cool.

Keep it up... what's next?

Leave a comment:

• chrisn
    replied

The bookshelf baffles do look fine lol. Sharpie's are a requirement in speaker building, because even the tightest fitting recess still shows through when photographed

Leave a comment:

• jsr
    replied

Haha, that means the baffles are even worse than I thought because I actually already used a black sharpy over all the areas I screwed up.
    Yeah, I'll probably repaint the baffle. Too bad I can't do anything to the bookshelf baffles to make them look better, though from my listening position about 8ft away, they don't look super bad (but I know how horrid the woodworking is...just that knowing part bugs me, haha).
    I think I may drop the padding resistor on the tweeter from 8ohm to 6.5ohm as over time, the tweeters have tamed a bit. The nice thing about the NE25 tweeters is they have great sparkle without being harsh.

Leave a comment:

• chrisn
    replied

Originally posted by critofur View Post
    A can of spray on black truckbed liner would probably fix the appearance of your subwoofer baffle. Even just covering the light spots where it's scractched with a black marker might fix most of the appearance issues?
    +1 I put some truncated drivers in a normal, recess mount (for round drivers), and colored the exposed recess' with black marker. It really wasn't noticable until you got real close. Photos always make it look worse:(

Leave a comment:

• critofur
    replied

A can of spray on black truckbed liner would probably fix the appearance of your subwoofer baffle. Even just covering the light spots where it's scractched with a black marker might fix most of the appearance issues?

Leave a comment:

• jsr
    replied

Thanks Don. Thats what I like about this hobby too. But I'd like my speakers to look a4 nice as they sound though.

Leave a comment:

• donradick
    replied

Nice job dude!
    It's incredible how some free tools for modeling and simulation that rivals anything you can purchase. Don't get down on yourself about the woodworking - I think a lot of guys ooh an aah because they can do that online looking at pictures - they can't hear the actual speakers.

One of the very senior guys told me once that he doesn't really like woodworking, doesn't feel very good at it. He enjoys modeling the crossovers, voicing them, and listening. There's a lot of fun in that.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X