Announcement

Collapse

2nd Annual Stock-toberfest

2nd Annual Stock-toberfest starts October 17th! Time to stock-up on great products at great prices! Click the Parts Express Logo at the top left of this page.
See more
See less

The Nichikuros

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Nichikuros

Well, this is my first post in this forum as I've finally completed (mostly) my first design. I call it the Nichikuro. It's a combination of the japanese words Ni (two), Iichi (one) and Kuro (black). This is because this is the second speaker I've built, but my first own design I've built and it's black. And no, I'm not japanese. I just suck at coming up with names for designs and I thought that sounded cool.

The monitors use the buyout Peerless 831735 Nomex woofer and a Vifa NE25VTA aluminum dome tweeter. Fb is about 38Hz and obviously uses the PE/Dayton 0.5cf curved cabinet.

The sub is a PE/Dayton 0.75cf TM curved cabinet housing a pair of TB 1139si subs. They dig deep and can shake my floor when I'm running a 20Hz sine wave test signal through them. Right now, they're wired in series. Right now it has a 2" port and with any decent power, there's a lot of port noise. I'm going to increase the port size soon.

I'm not good at the colorful wording to describe the sound of speakers. I have a pair of Speedsters that I use as my reference speaker and a pair of Overnight Sensations. Compared to the Speedsters, I can tell the Speedsters are voiced to have a stronger mid and upper bass than the mids while the Nichikuros have a bit more bias toward the midrange. I like the midrange clarity the most, particularly for female vocals and strings. Highs are surprisingly "airy" for a metal dome with some of that "sparkle" I love from the Speedster's ribbon. It doesn't match the Speedsters in the high end sparkle, but it's darn good for a dome. Not harsh, but detailed.

The low end extension is what probably surprised me the most. In my living room with the room gain, it will hit mid-30s with authority, to the point that it really sounds like I have my sub on. I didn't expect the small 6.5 Peerless drivers to have such good bass output in only 0.5cf.
    When my wife and I had our first listening session in the living room with the Nichikuros, I think she described it best when she said "it sounds like I'm in the studio with the artist while they're recording". The Speedsters have a soothing sound that I like to listen to late at night, while the Nichikuros have me really enjoying the midrange details and clarity and bass. So nice to have both sets.
    I'm very happy with the end result acoustically (less so aesthetically). For $110 worth of drivers and $60 for xover, I really love the way these turned out (again, acoustically).

Some have asked about the crossover, so I attached a picture. There are a couple of notes in the xover picture. What I have in the xover is what I used. Simulations show replacing the second cap with a 3.6uF will improve phase tracking, but honestly, I don't hear any phase issues with the 6.8uF. The padding resistor just before the tweeter can be adjusted between 4 to 8 ohms. I'm using 8ohms presently, but may try 6.5ohms. Use this to adjust for the room variations (reflective, absorbing).

For the baffle, both woofer and tweeter are centered horizontally. The woofer is centered 145mm from the bottom. The tweeter is centered 285mm from the bottom (resulting in ~0.5" edge to edge spacing between drivers).

Port is a 2" ID x 10" long tuning the box to ~38Hz. I forgot the F3, but it digs deep. I'll edit this when I check the F3 and F6 simulated values.

Anyway, I attached a few pics. The baffles look horrible as I don't have any actual woodworking tools. All the cutouts and recesses were made with a hole saw kit and my dremel by hand. You can especially tell all the "oops" I made on the subwoofer baffle. While others have a nack for amazing cabinetry, I have one for horrible cabinetry. I'm just glad I like the sound, especially for my first design.
    Thanks for looking.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jsr; 05-01-2012, 09:36 PM.
    Nichikuros - Peerless 831735 Nomex + Vifa NE25VTA
    Digger8 - Small compact 8" sub with F3 = 20Hz
    Madison-D and Madison-R - Tang Band W4-1720 + Vifa BC25SC06 or Beston RT003C (TM and MTM)
    Jeffrey - Tang Band W5-704D + Beston RT003C
    Jasmine - Fountek FW146 + Fountek NeoCD3.0 Ribbon in Pioneer BS21 Cabinet

Re: The Nichikuros

Not bad at all. Glad you enjoy them. That is the bottom line.
    Where do you live?.
    " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
    Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
    http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Thanks arlis! I'm in southern California. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be many DIYers here, especially where I'm located. I'd like to have others listen to them so I can get feedback on their voicing and overall sound, but sadly not many people around. I think the nearest people I've met on TT in socal are in San Diego. And sadly no DIY events.
      I'd also like to have them measured so I can see what my efforts have done acoustically.

If anyone in socal can measure speakers and are willing to measure mine, please let me know.

I have another design I want to get done, but need to find a cabinet first. Having no tools to make cabinets, I'm trying to find a low cost option for a flat pack. While I like the looks of the PE/Dayton cabs, I can't afford a pair of those for every project I do.
      Madison-D and Madison-R - Tang Band W4-1720 + Vifa BC25SC06 or Beston RT003C (TM and MTM)

Comment

Looks good, and I bet it sounds bada$$. You have been working on these for awhile right? I remember you asking about the XO's and the subs I believe. Or maybe my memory is failing me (again).

Is that dual TB sub ported.....and what are you running it with? I've always loved that driver. It's sadly just too expensive now. :(
        Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

I will be there in a few months! :eek:

Originally posted by jsr View Post
          Thanks arlis! I'm in southern California. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be many DIYers here, especially where I'm located... I think the nearest people I've met on TT in socal are in San Diego...
          Jason

"In my opinion, there are more tactful ways to state your opinion."

Comment

Good job! Keep up the good work. You will grow with every project. I am glad you are pleased with the sound. I never worry about the looks. It is the sound that I am after. I think you came a long way. Good luck in the future.
            Howard

Comment

Hi Bryan,

Yeah, this project has been in work for almost a year. A bunch of family issues, work and a new baby on the way created a lot delays. I asked last year about xovers and posted a couple of sims using Jeff's PCD as I was learning. Then I asked about subs also.
              I luckily had the 1139si subs from a while back and got them for a decent price. You can still run the 1139sif subs. I think they're close in performance and much more reasonably priced. The sub cab has a 2" port, tuned around 35Hz or so (I can't remember the exact Fb...my memory is **** poor). At any decent drive level, the port noise gets loud. Keep pushing it and it's overpowering. I'm going to change the port to a 2.5" and just limit the power to the sub to about 150W. I think port noise should be reasonable then. The modeled response is to the mid-30s flat before it starts to roll off. It's fun to look at the 13mm of excursion on these little subs as it pushes out 20Hz and 30Hz test tones. I have some music that goes into the mid-30s and it hits, but the port noise is high in the 35Hz-ish range.
              I'm running a Kenwood Class D car amp on the monitors and sub when they're upstairs. It's a nice amp and drives anything I throw at it. The only problem is that the amp doesn't have a very good ground with the power supply that's supplying it (not sure how I can improve this...the PS has a 3-prong to the wall and I run the Pos and Neg to the amp supply...don't know how to get the good ground like in a car). I didn't expect so much bass output and extension from the bookshelves though. When I run the bookshelves downstairs in my living, I run them by themselves (2.0) off an Onkyo HT-RC360 AVR and there's enough bass that I can get a headache from the low frequency pressure on some content...amazes me. And yeah, the mids are just amazing. I can hear more details in the midrange than any other speaker I have (small little things where they move their finger across a string or the violin string is accidentally touched).
              I was concerned how my first design would turn out, but I'm very pleased. With all that's going on in the rest of my world, this is a nice fulfilling feeling of success. Albeit, I get reminded of my amazing craftsmanship when I look at the baffles.:(

Hi Jason,

Yes, I'm waiting for you to get here! We need to meet up when you do.

Hi Howard,

Thanks for the kind words. I'm hoping to have the opportunity to execute more designs. Sadly, I often feel this hobby is more about the woodsmanship (is that a word?...something like wood craftsmanship). I like the electrical and acoustic design aspects of the hobby and really enjoy playing around with the sims, and of course enjoying the sound. I wish I had the tools and talent for the wood stuff, but I don't think I'll ever get there (due to cost, time and space). This project took a long time because I was looking for someone to cut my baffle holes. Eventually I just did it myself and accepted the ugliness.

Comment

That is a brilliant idea for a sub box. I never would have thought of that.

Comment

Yeah, I love how the sub matches the speakers. I used the 1139s because I already had them and theyre great for music. I plan on doing another one with an 8" sub that will dug down to an F3 of 23Hz and F6 of 20Hz in either the same cab or the larger 1cf cab. I like vertical subs though as they take up less floor space and IMO look nicer.

Comment

Nice job dude!
                    It's incredible how some free tools for modeling and simulation that rivals anything you can purchase. Don't get down on yourself about the woodworking - I think a lot of guys ooh an aah because they can do that online looking at pictures - they can't hear the actual speakers.

One of the very senior guys told me once that he doesn't really like woodworking, doesn't feel very good at it. He enjoys modeling the crossovers, voicing them, and listening. There's a lot of fun in that.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                    "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                    SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                    My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Thanks Don. Thats what I like about this hobby too. But I'd like my speakers to look a4 nice as they sound though.

Comment

A can of spray on black truckbed liner would probably fix the appearance of your subwoofer baffle. Even just covering the light spots where it's scractched with a black marker might fix most of the appearance issues?
                        "...this is not a subwoofer" - Jeff Bagby ;)

Comment

Originally posted by critofur View Post
                          A can of spray on black truckbed liner would probably fix the appearance of your subwoofer baffle. Even just covering the light spots where it's scractched with a black marker might fix most of the appearance issues?
                          +1 I put some truncated drivers in a normal, recess mount (for round drivers), and colored the exposed recess' with black marker. It really wasn't noticable until you got real close. Photos always make it look worse:(

Comment

Haha, that means the baffles are even worse than I thought because I actually already used a black sharpy over all the areas I screwed up.
                            Yeah, I'll probably repaint the baffle. Too bad I can't do anything to the bookshelf baffles to make them look better, though from my listening position about 8ft away, they don't look super bad (but I know how horrid the woodworking is...just that knowing part bugs me, haha).
                            I think I may drop the padding resistor on the tweeter from 8ohm to 6.5ohm as over time, the tweeters have tamed a bit. The nice thing about the NE25 tweeters is they have great sparkle without being harsh.

Comment

The bookshelf baffles do look fine lol. Sharpie's are a requirement in speaker building, because even the tightest fitting recess still shows through when photographed

Comment

Working...
                              X