Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Build No. 3 ... 2 way tower

Originally posted by ReissM View Post
    Gorgeous! It was worth the extra work dude.
    Thankyou. Yup reasonably pleased with them
    "Gotta Love Dat Sound..."

Currently Building ..PMS

Comment

Purdy cool guy, those woofers almost didn't fit, eh!! Like the gloss finish and hope they rock the house for years to come. Now throw some Steely Dan on and enjoy!! :D
      A mains
      The Ventures
      Open Invit8tions
      RSR
      Sound Troopers
      Acorns
      DGBG's
      The Monuments

Comment

Re: Build No. 3 ... 2 way tower...Final thoughts & how they sound

Final thoughts

Well the first thing that comes to mind is double check all your workings before starting the build. On the plus side however the 200mm driver (8inch) was a very good choice for these speakers. At 31 liters internal volume, they work very nicely. Without full testing gear its difficult to tell, but aurally, they certainly get down there. Extremely good bass extension and for a vented box the roll off is very pleasant. I like to be able to hear the thrum of the bass guitar note drop smoothly and they certainly don't disappoint.

I would nominally rate them at 40 Hz to 20000 kHz. I think they are in fact getting somewhat lower than this. I played a couple of my fav vinyl tracks and I know that my old studio monitors were getting down into the 20 Hz range and these seem to be very close. I know this isn't definitive but I'm happy with them to this point.
        So it looks like the original mistake was a blessing in disguise. Mid range is nice and crisp, both female and male voices sound very natural, and the tweeter being attenuated slightly has definitely worked.

Would I build these again for someone else? Yes definitely.
        Next time, now I know the enclosure design works well, I may swap the tweeter for either the Vifa D25AG Tweeter or the Dayton Audio DC28F-8 1-1/8" Silk Dome Tweeter, both of which should complement the woofer.
        Running at half power (approx 40W RMS) they have a warm sound, and exhibit about the same amount of enclosure resonance as my B&W 308's do. I could put some extra bracing in the enclosure, but by design the enclosure is naturally rigid.
        Crossover was set at 3500 kHz and this sits nicely for both the woofer and tweeter. To add a little warmth to them the bottom chamber is lightly stuffed and the top chamber where the tweeter is, is approx half filled. This left plenty of breathing room around the woofer and the port. The port airspeed is very low and it shows on the graph and when running, the amount of air being moved through the port is large but slow moving. In comparison my reworked Aria1 bookshelf cabinets with a 50mm port pump air just about fast enough for my wife to dry here hair

So how do they sound?

Pretty good really. I started out with flat response a played a couple of songs from Alison Moyet's album Alf Tracks were "All cried Out" and "Money Mile". This was a vinyl recording so I was expecting a good full analogue sound and that's what I got. Very nice indeed. This was followed by a CD of Pinkfloyd's "Dark Side of the Moon". Tracks were "Speak to me/breathe" and "The great Gig in the Sky for a female vocals test. Very nice vocals/ crooning. I love that track.

At this point I was getting a little unhappy with the response in the upper registers, then I had a brainwave. The amp I was using was my Onkyo SR-576. Its grunty beast, but not audiophile level amp. Still it does pretty well. Like a lot of HT amps it has certain settings that aren't good for audio listening. Namely Dynamic EQ and Cinema filter, both of which accent a lot of the lower and upper levels to a distinctly unfriendly level if you are purely listening to music. Let this be a warning to others, I like having flat response and then adjusting bass and treble to suit, the on board filters and EQ take this to extremes. Once I had that sorted out everything was fine.

After a hour of listening to Vinyl. CD and media PC recordings I'm happy to report that the sound very nice. The next build I'm planning is the three way version of this, hopefully that will be an even better setup.

One last note:

I mentioned earlier about the crossover housing position. When I initially started my listening tests, I found that once I wound the power on the safety trip-out on the amp would switch off the amp. Somewhat alarming to say the least. One speaker was okay and the other was causing the protection trip. I took out the crossover and had a good look at it. There didn't appear to be anything wrong with it but I stripped all the components off the mica board and used a new board and rebuilt the crossover. No more problem. It seems there was a short somewhere on the board but it wasn't and still isn't immediately noticeable. All however is now going well so long story short, I'm glad I made the crossovers accessible.

Currently Building ..PMS

Comment

Originally posted by 6thplanet View Post
          Purdy cool guy, those woofers almost didn't fit, eh!! Like the gloss finish and hope they rock the house for years to come. Now throw some Steely Dan on and enjoy!! :D
          Cheers for that.
          Just thrashed some Frankie goes to Hollywood, Tracks were "Two Tribes", "The Power of Love" and for a really good hammering "Relax"

I live in the country so sound level isnt really an issue but I think the neighbors heard "Relax". Followed that up with Pink's - "Sober" for some all round punch

Currently Building ..PMS

Comment

Having spent almost the entire day indulging myself (currently on holiday and its winter:( ), I have had the luxury of listening and enjoying a big range of music. Something I haven't done in a long time.

Todays listening culminated in watching the David Gilmour DVD David Gilmour: Remember That Night - Live from the Royal Albert Hall (2007). Possibly one of the finest music DVD's I've seen or heard, featuring virtuoso performances from the Pink Floyd duo of Wright and Gilmour.

Recorded in HD and featuring Digital Stereo or 5.1 DD. I choose to listen to this in stereo mode and was well rewarded with an awesome soundtrack.
            To me the hallmark of a good speaker (and you've heard this before ) is that you shouldnt feel tired from listening to music and that the speakers should generally blend into the background.

I'm happy to say the Aria's do just that. Even after only 8 hours they are starting to settle and there is a warmth that's quietly becoming more evident.

Sadly the world lost Richard Wright the following year, but judging from the doco that's included in the DVD he at least was once again enjoying music and being on stage.

Currently Building ..PMS

Comment

Well the new speakers have settled in nicely. Using the OEM drivers is always a bit risky even when they are basically copies of Peerless design. (According to the suppliers).
              I have altered my opinion of the tweeters, its settle in much better than I would have thought. The 1 dB attenuation didnt seem like much but is precisely the required amount, the essyness has all but gone and mids are now well defined, especially for the vocals, both male & female. Base extension appears to be as good as the graphs were indicating. In fact base extension and level is so good that I have the Base level at either 0 or -2dB as the standard level.
              Bass notes I didn't know existed in some tracks are easily heard and the roll off is excellent. I can hear the thrum of individual notes die out after they have been played.
              Overall there isn't a lot I would change, possibly go for some better caps for improved tonality.
              I'm now confident enough with this new design to put them on the market.
              They are currently being used in my HT setup as fronts and are running in conjunction with the Aria Pettites which are a Paul Carmody inspired design based around his ClassixII
              This is a very nice pairing between front and rears.
              The sound of these is very similar to the B&W 684's but doesn't display that slightly reserved feeling I get from the B&W and my old Kefs.
              Based on the outcome of these speakers, I'm now going to do a 3 way version using the same enclosure design as it has proved to be very neutral to resonances, and that of course was the intention.

Currently Building ..PMS

Comment

Working...
              X