Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Breakfast Stouts are done (HiVi RT 2 II Aura NS6 2 way)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breakfast Stouts are done (HiVi RT 2 II Aura NS6 2 way)

The Breakfast Stouts went on a field trip to Mike Z's for a listening session today and the based on the success of the trip I'm going to call them done. This started off as an idea almost a year ago when the HiVi RT2 tweeters were on sale for $35.00. The tweeter sim I was working with for the current speaker is the same as what I was using for the bookshelf version posted here. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ighlight=stout.

For the NS6 woofer I'd recommend a 30 to 40 liter cabinet tuned to 38 Hz using the previous baffle baffle width and distances from the top of the speaker and extending either the bottom or the speaker's depth to add volume to the cabinet. Here's a link to the build thread for some additional information http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...eakfast-stouts.

For my cabinets I opted to re-purpose some $20.00-$30.00 Advent Laureate cabs. I bartered with R-Carpenter for help with the baffle project to get an insert made and the routing work done to receive the insert. I'll need to tweak the original grills a bit but they are still able to be installed and when they're in place the speakers look stock at first glance. Thanks for the awesome job on the inserts Roman.

While at Mike Z's today he confirmed what I was already suspecting this could be my best build to date. A large part of that can be attributed to the fact that this would normally have been the most expensive tweeter I've worked with which is a part of what I'm hearing. If you snagged a set of RT 2 II's when they were selling for $35.00 each for another $105.00 you could purchase the Aura NS6 woofers and crossover parts for the build. I'll grab some additional photo's tonight once destructo girl settles down a bit.

Take it easy
    Jay

Attached Files
    Last edited by Brewski; 06-27-2012, 09:47 AM.
    "I like Brewski's threads, they always end up being hybrid beer/speaker threads based on the name of his newest creation." - Greywarden

Breakfast Stout - HiVi RT2 II/Aurasound NS6
    Imperial Russian Stout - Vifa DX25/Fountek FW146/(2) Fountek FW168s - Built by Fastbike
    Ruination 2.5 way - Vifa DX25/Fountek FW168
    Levitation TM
    - Vifa BC25SG15/Fountek FW168

Re: Breakfast Stouts are done (HiVi RT 2 II Aura NS6 2 way)

Whether you know it or not, the tweeter network very much resembles my work on the RT1C-A on the Attitude project.
    0.68uF and 25 ohm, then 4.7uF/0.11mH/5.6uF, plus a 1 ohm resistor.

So this Stout ended up where? 2.2kHz, BS4?

Later,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

I'd not realized that they were like the attitudes in that regard but I'll consider the similarity to be a good thing . Our conversation on the RT2C tweeter possibly being a bit rolled off on the top end convinced me to try to "tilt" them in the crossover. They model as 4th order bessel @ 2300 Hz for the tweeter, Woofer is 2nd order Bessel @ 1800 Hz a and the two drivers cross at around 2,400 hz.

Take it easy
      Jay

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0839.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	1142673

Name:	DSC_0845.JPG
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	1142674

Name:	DSC_0844.JPG
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	1142675

Name:	DSC_0842.JPG
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	1142676
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Brewski; 06-25-2012, 09:21 AM. Reason: Tweeter 4th order Bessel @ 2300 Woofer 2nd order Bessel @ 1800
      "I like Brewski's threads, they always end up being hybrid beer/speaker threads based on the name of his newest creation." - Greywarden

Imperial Russian Stout - Vifa DX25/Fountek FW146/(2) Fountek FW168s - Built by Fastbike
      Levitation TM

Comment

Well done (like all your other builds).
        I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.
        OS MTMs http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=220388
        Swope TM http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=221818
        Econowave and Audio Nirvana AN10 fullrange http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=216841
        Imperial Russian Stouts http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...=1#post1840444
        LECBOS. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ghlight=lecbos

Comment

Nice job, welcome to the land of planars!!
          A mains
          The Ventures
          Open Invit8tions
          RSR
          Sound Troopers
          Acorns
          DGBG's
          The Monuments

Comment

Thanks guys... LOL Yeah this planar discovery could be bad for my speaker building budget... I've already started looking for another set of RT2II's in the classified section since I'm wanting to build another set of these to keep for myself. I intend to eventually give these to my uncle and his wife. You met him when we were at MWAF last year.

I'm really hoping the three way design (HiVi RT2C/SS Disc D7608/9200-10/(2) HDS 831735) turns out at least as nice as these did. I think the one part that really gets me in this case though is the fact the cost came in below $200.00 in drivers and crossover parts. What you hear for that money spent doesn't equate I really regret not buying more of the RT2II's when they were on sale.

Take it easy
            Jay

Levitation TM

Comment

Looks good, nice, cheap drivers, what's not to like?
              I agree with your NS6 reco - they like a good bit of room for good bass.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
              "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
              SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
              My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Originally posted by donradick View Post
                Looks good, nice, cheap drivers, what's not to like?
                I agree with your NS6 reco - they like a good bit of room for good bass.
                I can see why you like the driver in your designs. I think it's a steal at the buyout price and I'll probably look to use a pair as the bottom end for a speaker competing at MWAF in the $200.00 and under category next year.

The thing that surprises me is the amount of bass the NS6 puts out in 40 liters and the fact that it's not a one note boom. It leaves you thinking that's not right it shouldn't do that.

Take it easy
                Jay

Note: For those considering the build Madisound has the tweeter on sale for $60.00 each currently which would make the build cost ($225.00). Mike and I were thinking if you had to pay full price and use the RT2C ($345.00) they would still be worth building just not quite as attractive/staggering as building them for ($175.00)
                Last edited by Brewski; 06-27-2012, 10:27 AM. Reason: Found tweeter at another vendor

Levitation TM

Comment

Hey Jay, really nice work! I really admire your ability to take old cabs and buyout drivers and create a thing of sonic beauty. Based on the fact that Mike Z also heard these, I am confident that the Breakfast Stouts are really good performers.

Comment

Originally posted by jclin4 View Post
                    Hey Jay, really nice work! I really admire your ability to take old cabs and buyout drivers and create a thing of sonic beauty. Based on the fact that Mike Z also heard these, I am confident that the Breakfast Stouts are really good performers.
                    I not only heard these, but am considering building a pair. A good design is just that.. Period... and dollar for performance these cannot be beat. Yes, I do not think that for even $150 for the drivers using and RT1 as Jay suggests I could not design something that sounds better. His implementation works and works well. It should not and we laughed when I deemed them the best speakers no one will build because it seems so odd. I would not even want to try a TMM or MTM, they are just awesome as-is. They would make an amazing pair of intimate listeners. Just put on your favorite music and enjoy. They will not replace a monster tower or larger driver combo for shear presence, but they definitely have the magic. I tortured them at stout, moderate volumes and they had no issues handling anything from massive attack, to jazz trio stuff. Wolf's cap test CD was a good one too and an awesome mix to just throw on and run the gambit. There are a handful of speakers that exhibited some of the same behavior as these, and I will list them since it is a very short list:

Jclin's "Holdouts"
                    Roman's Seas/Eton combo for Phil P.
                    Jame's "JCW" by Curt and Wayne
                    my "Beasties"

ALL of which were significantly more money to build. Again, well done Jay! Certainly your best yet.

Comment

I'm actually starting to lean in favor of keeping these and building something for MWAF next year and giving that to my uncle. My thinking is I'll probably never build a better speaker sound to dollar ratio wise. With that semi depressing thought I'm hesitant to give them away. If anyone else opts to give them I try I'll opt to give all the help I can over PM's as Fastbike and Burgmike could tell you from past builds. I'm headed out on vacation so I'll not be posting too much for the next couple of weeks.

Take it easy
                      Jay

Levitation TM

Comment

A friend from Facebook is interested in these so I'm posting some additional info up for a cab mock up as well as a parts list. I'd get the tweeters at madisound and the rest from PE.

Take it easy
                        Jay
                        Attached Files

Levitation TM

Comment

I had a PM asking about tunings to use if someone wanted to build the "bookshelf" cabs I was originally thinking of using with the Peerless HDS woofer buyouts for the build. Using the numbers Roman measured on the driver I sent him, I'd tune a 22L cab to 45Hz (6.25" L by 2.5" D). You'll lose a bit of the potential bass output but it pushes the crossing of X-max below 40Hz for when the speaker is crossed over to a subwoofer.

Name:	22L FR.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	1143474Click image for larger version

Name:	22L Xmax.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	1143475

Take it easy
                          Jay

Levitation TM

Comment

This my friend is wonderful information!

Originally posted by Brewski View Post
                            I had a PM asking about tunings to use if someone wanted to build the "bookshelf" cabs I was originally thinking of using with the Peerless HDS woofer buyouts for the build. Using the numbers Roman measured on the driver I sent him, I'd tune a 22L cab to 45Hz (6.25" L by 2.5" D). You'll lose a bit of the potential bass output but it pushes the crossing of X-max below 40Hz for when the speaker is crossed over to a subwoofer.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28568[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]28569[/ATTACH]

Take it easy
                            Jay
                            THOMAS BROWN aka "STINKY"

I've got an idea - an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about. - Peter Griffin

I DON'T CARE WHAT KIND OF MUSIC YOU LISTEN TO, OR LIKE.
                            SHUT UP, PUT DOWN THE WALLS OF PRETENSION FOR 1 SECOND AND JUST LISTEN TO THE SONGS
                            - SCOTT IAN

Comment

Stinky just listen to them for a bit before committing to other options for your mains. You might find that if we could design a center to work with them that this could make for a pretty sweet setup for you. Although the "commie speakers" as you call them could also make for a pretty nice setup ;).

Take it easy
                              Jay

Levitation TM

Comment

Working...
                              X