SB Acoustic 3W

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SB Acoustic 3W

I though I was ready to modify things in the Xover, instead, last night I played around with the box tuning of the woofers.

I switched around the port from 4'' to 5'' and then to 7'' of overall length. It went to (as said) too much bass going toward a cleaner and cleaner bass, leading ultimately to better placed mids in the overall image...the best word to described it now is COHERENCE...:eek:

For now it the best i've heard...we'll leave it like this for a couple of weeks ( and listen to ALL of my cds)...with my new babies...!

P.S.: I am not equipped and I don't have the knowhow to take measurement of the behavior of these babies, I can only go according to my ears...sorry to desapointe you ReissM...
    Last edited by pierre666; 10-26-2012, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pierre666 View Post
      I though I was ready to modify things in the Xover, instead, last night I played around with the box tuning of the woofers.

I switched around the port from 4'' to 5'' and then to 7'' of overall length. It went to (as said) too much bass going toward a cleaner and cleaner bass, leading ultimately to better placed mids in the overall image...the best word to described it now is COHERENCE...:eek:

For now it the best i've heard...we'll leave it like this for a couple of weeks ( and listen to ALL of my cds)...with my new babies...!

P.S.: I am not equipped and I don't have the know-how to take measurement of the behavior of these babies, I can only go according to my ears... sorry to disappoint you ReissM...
      Lengthening the port will tune your enclosure to a lower frequency. Perhaps it was a bit underdamped with a High Q (1.5???) and that resulted in it sounding "boomy". After adjusting the tuning to a lower frequency, you may have also lowered the Q (down to 1.0 now ???) and eliminated the upper bass boominess.

I still wish that we could take some measurements on these. You've got a Ferrari but don't have the tools to make it run to its full potential. Getting the midrange to tweeter transition measuring 'flat' and phase-tracked will astound your ears!

Is there anybody out there that lives nearby and can assist pierre666 with some measurements?

In the meantime, play around with room acoustics suggestions from my previous post. You'll find that the bass response can vary significantly depending on speaker location within the room. We don't want you tweeking the port tuning when the room's acoustics might be the culprit.

Don't stress out, have fun with it... even if it takes a few more months.
      ~Marty

Baby Eidolons
      Sapphos
      Cables (Post #54)
      Other speakers (Post #21)
      Design Thoughts (Posts: 6,10,13,33,35)
      Boundary Augmentation
      Dispersion/Interference

Comment

Originally posted by ReissM View Post

Is there anybody out there that lives nearby and can assist pierre666 with some measurements?
        Me.

And I bet I'll get the chance to hear these in a near future! ;)

Chuck

Comment

Lengthening the port will tune your enclosure to a lower frequency. Perhaps it was a bit underdamped with a High Q (1.5???) and that resulted in it sounding "boomy". After adjusting the tuning to a lower frequency, you may have also lowered the Q (down to 1.0 now ???) and eliminated the upper bass boominess.
          I am still experiencing som new things everyday, trying to get the most out of it. I was trying back and forth to change the port's lenght without never quite getting it right. I thought it was time to change the first resistance to the mid, to try to get it to deliver more '' presence''. I went to Solen to buy 1 Ohms resistance...there I spoke a lot with the owner of this shop and the first thing he did was asked me what I had use as damping material. I told him some kind of tar with carpet underpad on top and finally I put polyester wool inside all of the boxes ( bass is BR and mid is Sealed). In order to get the mid to come forward, he recommended me to but angel hair wool before trying any modification to the Xover. Also I told him that I found the bass to be a bit boomy. He sold me a sheet of Convoluted Open Air Cell Acoustic Foam.

Once I got home I immediately, changed the stuffing in the mid box, and you know what, he was right. The mid came alive!!!!!! Exactly where I wanted it to be. I got rid of the polyester wool and I installed the Convoluted Open Air Cell Acoustic Foam in the bass box putting it on the top area, the back and the sides. I tried it and wow, what a difference but the bass was still a bit loose...I had angel hair left...I toose a hand full of angel hair in the back of each woofer....:eek:...wow, WOW, WOW and WOW!...now it is really a jaw dropper...........OMG am I done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes: until the next upgrade!!!

Comment

here's the latest upgrade

A Satori Tweeter ( TW29R). You have a project featuring the SB29 and you wonder if it you be worth it to remplace it with a high end tweeter as an upgrade...for half of the price of a SS you will get this Satori...

With the SB29 the highs where clean and precise but it was kind of faded in the musical image. Here you have the high screaming...Honey...I'm home!!! Crisp clean highs that dominates the whole sound. Not too forward, just at it's place where all the other ranges comme to attach to it leaving the dominance to the highs....

And the best of this upgrade, I just dropped it in, without even doing anything to the Xover...and it sounds Great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

here's the latest upgrade

A Satori Tweeter ( TW29R). You have a project featuring the SB29 and you wonder if it you be worth it to remplace it with a high end tweeter as an upgrade...for half of the price of a SS you will get this Satori...

With the SB29 the highs where clean and precise but it was kind of faded in the musical image. Here you have the high screaming...Honey...I'm home!!! Crisp clean highs that dominates the whole sound. Not too forward, just at it's place where all the other ranges comme to attach to it leaving the dominance to the highs....

And the best of this upgrade, I just dropped it in, without even doing anything to the Xover...and it sounds Great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              Interesting. I hadn't considered the idea that the Satori could literally "drop in" to replace the SB29RDC, but it sounds quite reasonable. They are the same size, measure fairly similar. You noticed a significant difference then?
              The Satori is about $100 more, per side. The Satori has a thicker faceplate, so would need to be recessed more.

This is the only design I've seen using the SB midrange, as well.
              -Dan
              Mandolin Curved Cabinet Floorstanding; Dayton Reference 18" sealed Subwoofer; Sealed 12" Dayton Reference Subwoofer ; Overnight Sensation builds

Comment

Originally posted by NyxOne View Post
                Me.

And I bet I'll get the chance to hear these in a near future! ;)

Chuck
                Did this ever happen? This is a pretty interesting project. I've been thinking about building something similar, but with a PAIR of RS225-4s on the bottom.
                -Dan
                Mandolin Curved Cabinet Floorstanding; Dayton Reference 18" sealed Subwoofer; Sealed 12" Dayton Reference Subwoofer ; Overnight Sensation builds

Comment

Chuck and I live at +- 70 milles apart. So we do not meet that often...

Nothing is lost...when I get to do the measurements, people will know...

Would your project be All Dayton ?

Comment

Chuck and I live at +- 70 milles apart. So we do not meet that often...

Nothing is lost...when I get to do the measurements, people will know...

Would your project be All Dayton ?
                    No, I like the SB Acoustics midwoofers. Either the 5" midwoofer or the 4" midrange. Not sure about the tweeter yet, it's a theoretical project at this point.
                    -Dan

Comment

Hi, I am intrigued by this Satori tweeter since it seems it could go as low as 1500 hz. How would you describe its sonic character? Airy? I used an SS 9700, it was clear and precise but seemed to miss airy qualities. Compared to the Vifa XT tweeters?
                      Thanks
                      Ken

Comment

I am still experiencing som new things everyday, trying to get the most out of it. I was trying back and forth to change the port's lenght without never quite getting it right. I thought it was time to change the first resistance to the mid, to try to get it to deliver more '' presence''. I went to Solen to buy 1 Ohms resistance...there I spoke a lot with the owner of this shop and the first thing he did was asked me what I had use as damping material. I told him some kind of tar with carpet underpad on top and finally I put polyester wool inside all of the boxes ( bass is BR and mid is Sealed). In order to get the mid to come forward, he recommended me to but angel hair wool before trying any modification to the Xover. Also I told him that I found the bass to be a bit boomy. He sold me a sheet of Convoluted Open Air Cell Acoustic Foam.

Once I got home I immediately, changed the stuffing in the mid box, and you know what, he was right. The mid came alive!!!!!! Exactly where I wanted it to be. I got rid of the polyester wool and I installed the Convoluted Open Air Cell Acoustic Foam in the bass box putting it on the top area, the back and the sides. I tried it and wow, what a difference but the bass was still a bit loose...I had angel hair left...I toose a hand full of angel hair in the back of each woofer....:eek:...wow, WOW, WOW and WOW!...now it is really a jaw dropper...........OMG am I done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes: until the next upgrade!!!
                        HEY, what ever came from this project? I'd like to see the results as I am sure a lot of others would to..
                        See Ya.
                        ‘There are none so blind as those who will not see.’

Comment

excuse so much for responding to an old thread, but i need to know if there is a measured frequency response of this project.
                          best regards, thank you

Comment

Working...
                          X