The Armadillo Center Channel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Armadillo Center Channel

Amazing work, well done!!!! I have finishing envy. I tried that finish as you stated several times and could not get it to look good. Disappointing because I absolutely love it. :(

Comment

Originally posted by cowtown View Post
      Guys,
      A question on the notation you used for the mid section of the XO - it is marked as getting the negative signal on the far left, but still going to ground. I'm guessing you're indicating that the mid's polarity is simply flipped. Can you confirm?
      Thanks,
      Colin
      Yes, indeed, mid is reverse polarity.

Mark
      You go your way, I'll go mine. I don't care if we get there on time.

~Pink Floyd

Comment

Originally posted by mzisserson View Post
        Amazing work, well done!!!! I have finishing envy. I tried that finish as you stated several times and could not get it to look good. Disappointing because I absolutely love it. :(
        I'm going to have to con Mark into playing camera man so I can give y'all a video tutorial on how to do that, it's not hard to do, just hard to explain through text. I'm thinking when we do the TM version for surrounds (which I will also be building) we'll try and get a vid together.
        My modest builds:
        Armadillo TM, A.K.A. Lil' Dillo
        Tarkus/Armadillo build #2
        Armadillo Center Channel
        Au-Rock-O Sub
        Tarkus
        Staining MDF tutorial

Comment

Originally posted by Mark65 View Post
          Yes, indeed, mid is reverse polarity.

Mark
          Great thanks. I'm putting together the order for parts today! I think I will be able to build this late next week after some business travel. I can't wait to hear it.

The biggest dilemma is whether to pick up two extra sets of drivers for a pair of towers as well. I've got a set of boxes that are about the right dimensions from a "failed" project, and my son wants some bigger speakers (he is using Overnight Sensations right now in his room). I have most of the crossover parts and ports lying around already. These drivers really seem relatively cheap for their performance. So tempting....

Comment

That's awesome, make sure you post back on your impressions, or better yet, put up another build thread! I'm a huge fan of the tarkus build that you did, can't wait to see what you do with this one!

From a purely selfish (and an "I can't do it, so I need someone else to") standpoint, I'd love to see you build the towers for your son. They won't dig anywhere near as deep as the Tarkus, but I'm betting on pretty satisfying in room bass, at least for music. As HT mains, I'd still add a sub, even though that is an anathema to the whole three-way aesthetic.

Keep us posted!

Mark
            You go your way, I'll go mine. I don't care if we get there on time.

~Pink Floyd

Comment

Video tutorial would be great, I'd like to try that technique - on some scrap pieces first! When you spray the black does overspray get on the finished "woodgrain" areas? Verrry nice job.

Comment

Yes, there is overspray, that's basically how you get the "burst edge" effect. You're just spraying the very edge of the cab, the rest is overspray that fades out into the middle. I imagine it would look nicer with a spray gun and better paint, but that kinda defeats the point of this finish. Cheap and easy. For a rattle can job though, I have to say it does turn out pretty sweet.
                My modest builds:
                Armadillo Center Channel
                Au-Rock-O Sub
                Tarkus
                Staining MDF tutorial

Comment

Regarding the finish:

If you put a clear coat over the faux wood grain finish and then paint the "burst" you can use fine steel wool to remove any excess over spray that you may have. I recently did some ONS MTM's this way and it worked out great!
                  People hear with their eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by DanHine View Post
                    Regarding the finish:

If you put a clear coat over the faux wood grain finish and then paint the "burst" you can use fine steel wool to remove any excess over spray that you may have. I recently did some ONS MTM's this way and it worked out great!
                    Dan,
                    I was not aware of this. But it sounds like just the tip I was looking for (because I too want to try a sunburst finish. I even have the cabinet all ready with the clearcoat applied and waiting, and I have my "tone" color picked out and ready to go. I just didn't know what to do about overspray that didn't "look right") Just to clarify, do you wait for the overspray to dry before you take it off with the steel wool?
                    Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                    Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Very nice and high end looking. Matching drivers and that sick looking tweeter. Sunburst looks good, did you use veneered plywood and just cover the endgrain with the black sunburst? That seems like an easy way to get the surface veneer and deal with the edges.......

Comment

Originally posted by nottaway View Post
                        Very nice and high end looking. Matching drivers and that sick looking tweeter. Sunburst looks good, did you use veneered plywood and just cover the endgrain with the black sunburst? That seems like an easy way to get the surface veneer and deal with the edges.......
                        Thanks :D I agree, that tweeter is pretty cool. Actually it's a faux-finish technique, streaky stain on plain old MDF, but yeah the burst covers the "end grain". I used the basic Minwax stuff (stain and polycrylic) along with some good old Krylon black enamel. Pretty much basic stuff you can find anywhere, heck even Wal Mart carries the stuff. It's cheap and easy, and turns out quite nice.
                        My modest builds:
                        Armadillo Center Channel
                        Au-Rock-O Sub
                        Tarkus
                        Staining MDF tutorial

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
                          Dan,
                          I was not aware of this. But it sounds like just the tip I was looking for (because I too want to try a sunburst finish. I even have the cabinet all ready with the clearcoat applied and waiting, and I have my "tone" color picked out and ready to go. I just didn't know what to do about overspray that didn't "look right") Just to clarify, do you wait for the overspray to dry before you take it off with the steel wool?
                          I waited for it to dry. If you do a lot of very light coats it doesn't take that much time at all. I put on all the coats of paint and then removed what I didn't want. I suppose you could try using the steel wool after ever couple light coats so you are not ever trying to remove anything too thick. You want to be careful as the clear coat is probably pretty thin. You should be fine though - I can do it so it's not too tough!

My favorite thing about this finish is that it's relatively easy and inexpensive to fix if you do make a mistake.
                          People hear with their eyes.

Comment

Nice job you guys... My compliments on the finish -- you've come up with a great looking option that really simplifies the building process. Hope I get to hear the system sometime....
                            Tritrix HT:http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=222519
                            Dayton 12" Subwoofer: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=222930
                            Overnight Sensations: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=223751
                            Cerberus sub: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...hlight=cerebus
                            Duellatis: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=224943
                            NTN's: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=227902

Comment

Gorgeous
                              THOMAS BROWN aka "STINKY"

I've got an idea - an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about. - Peter Griffin

I DON'T CARE WHAT KIND OF MUSIC YOU LISTEN TO, OR LIKE.
                              SHUT UP, PUT DOWN THE WALLS OF PRETENSION FOR 1 SECOND AND JUST LISTEN TO THE SONGS
                              - SCOTT IAN

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
                                Wow, you two. Great job! Now we finally have an answer to the much-asked question about "is there a matching center for the Tarkus?"
                                Paul,

Quick question, are you going to add this to your site? Also have you built this yet?

Kevin
                                Shaken, not stirred...

Classix II
                                OS MTM's
                                Digger 8 sub
                                Overnight Sensations Center Channel
                                Sprite Build
                                Wolf's PC Speakers
                                Minions III with Voxel Sub

Comment

Working...
                                X