Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

The Armadillo Center Channel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Armadillo Center Channel

Just finished my Armadillo center. I'm happy with it! Thanks again gentleman1
    My Build Thread's
    Carrera's / Finalist TL's / Speedster TMM's / Speedster MTM Center / Overnight Sensation Surrounds

Comment

Well, the Armadillo has intrigued me. With todays discount, I COULD NOT turn down the deal of getting drivers for a pair for $125.16 shipped. Yes, these will be L and R, and I may even keep them horizontal as they will be for studio use. I need more drivers like a need a hole in the head, but c'mon $125 for EIGHT drivers?
      Will keep you posted. Might be a month before the cabs are done.

Comment

Originally posted by ontariomaximus View Post
        Well, the Armadillo has intrigued me. With todays discount, I COULD NOT turn down the deal of getting drivers for a pair for $125.16 shipped. Yes, these will be L and R, and I may even keep them horizontal as they will be for studio use. I need more drivers like a need a hole in the head, but c'mon $125 for EIGHT drivers?
        Will keep you posted. Might be a month before the cabs are done.
        I have plans for a tower cab for this design, it actually models nice with the same crossover, shoot me a PM if you're interested.
        My modest builds:
        Armadillo TM, A.K.A. Lil' Dillo
        Tarkus/Armadillo build #2
        Armadillo Center Channel
        Au-Rock-O Sub
        Tarkus
        Staining MDF tutorial

Comment

Awesome, you going T/M/WW ? ported or sealed? With the deal I just pulled the trigger on a pair for finalists lol. $120 off the vifa mids right now.
          My Build Thread's
          Carrera's / Finalist TL's / Speedster TMM's / Speedster MTM Center / Overnight Sensation Surrounds

Comment

Here's a drawing with dimensions for the tower version, if anyone wants a larger copy, or a copy of the sketchup file, just shoot me a PM with your email address. Please note, these model well with the same crossover, but no one has actually built them yet. I would say line the interior with foam/mattress topper, stuff mid chamber with polyfill to taste, and adjust tweeter padding to taste. The sim for the ported alignment looks pretty good, so that's what the dimensions are based on, doesn't dig super low, but should be plenty for music. The home theater crowd will still want to use a sub for anything under 45hz or so.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Arma-Tower plans small.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	1154182
            My modest builds:
            Armadillo Center Channel
            Au-Rock-O Sub
            Tarkus
            Staining MDF tutorial

Comment

Originally posted by bolland83 View Post
              Here's a drawing with dimensions for the tower version, if anyone wants a larger copy, or a copy of the sketchup file, just shoot me a PM with your email address. Please note, these model well with the same crossover, but no one has actually built them yet. I would say line the interior with foam/mattress topper, stuff mid chamber with polyfill to taste, and adjust tweeter padding to taste. The sim for the ported alignment looks pretty good, so that's what the dimensions are based on, doesn't dig super low, but should be plenty for music. The home theater crowd will still want to use a sub for anything under 45hz or so.
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]42350[/ATTACH]
              That's a slick looking tower! I bet it would sound great. Do you have a cut list for the normal center channel? I saw your dimensions posted in one of the first posts on the thread but not the cut list for assembly.

Comment

Alrighty, due to the extensive amount of requests for details on this design, I went ahead and updated the photos in the first 3 posts. Updates include: A better detail of the cabinet with full dimensions, an interior photo of the cabinet mid chamber/bracing structure, a photo of my crossover layout front and back with component values, and a composite photo of the front and back of the crossover to give you an idea of how the 2 sided board is actually wired. I hope these updates will answer some of your questions and clarify things a bit, thanks for your patience. I never realized how popular this design would be :D And if I forgot to reply to anyone's questions sent via PM, :( sorry guys, it's getting tough to keep track of who needed what info, I'll try to post more thorough information from the get go next time. Don't get me wrong, I love that you guys are so interested in building this, I'm just having trouble keeping up and I feel bad for leaving people hanging.
                My modest builds:
                Armadillo Center Channel
                Au-Rock-O Sub
                Tarkus
                Staining MDF tutorial

Comment

Great updated photos and diagrams. Man, I am just dying to build the CC.

Comment

Thanks for the updates! I wish spring would hurry up and get here so I can work in the garage. It's tough to work out there when the temp is -5 :eek:

Comment

Has anyone built the tower version of this? Details on a tower would be cool. It looks like it could be a winner.
                      Thanks.
                      Love your work. All your speakers look great

Comment

I bet that 2 of them center channels turned on their end would make great main speakers too.

Comment

RIght now I am panning on the tower variant. But the mids are sold out until Late Feb So I will wait. Besides I have a kitchen to finish...

Comment

Originally posted by Mike47 View Post
                            I bet that 2 of them center channels turned on their end would make great main speakers too.
                            See post #35, that's exactly what we thought too! If you wanted something a little smaller than a tower, you could build them sealed with similar dimensions as the CC, but I would use the driver layout from the tower keeping the mid and tweeter vertically aligned. You will want to use a subwoofer with these for sure if you go that route.
                            My modest builds:
                            Armadillo Center Channel
                            Au-Rock-O Sub
                            Tarkus
                            Staining MDF tutorial

Comment

Hey, I just recently finished the Tarkus speakers and now I also want to build the Armadillo Center. Only problem is that I can't seem to find the woofer in any shops in Europe. Is it possible to switch it out with the SDS 830657, which are in the Tarkus speakers? I looked at the specs and they seemed to vary a bit, but not much.

Comment

Working...
                              X