• Show
Clear All

• The Armadillo Center Channel

Click image for larger version

Name:	Armadillo 1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	1182004

This is a collaborative project between Mark65 and I, with Mark doing the crossover simulation and box modeling, and myself doing the actual build and the 3d drawings. This project came to be, because I was looking for a center channel design that could keep up with my main speakers (Paul Carmody's "Tarkus") . We decided to use drivers from the same manufactures as the Tarkus design, to keep a good visual and sonic match. However, none of these are actually the same drivers.

The woofer: Peerless SDS-160F25PR01-08 6.5" was chosen because of it's strong bass performance in a sealed enclosure, and it's near identical aesthetics to the Peerless 830657 6.5" used as a mid in the Tarkus design. As an added bonus, it's also $6 cheaper than the 830657.

The mid: Peerless 830656 5-1/4" Paper Cone SDS Woofer was chosen because of it's extended response into the upper midrange, descent spl, and again similar aesthetics and construction to the other Peerless drivers being used. We also needed it to fit on our baffle with a tweeter above it, due to the height restriction of my intended placement, inside my AV cabinet. The truncated frame definitely helps.

The tweeter: Vifa XT25SC90-04 1" Dual Ring Radiator was chosen primarily because of it's small faceplate, and excellent off axis response. Mark has used it before and agrees it was an excellent choice.

Name:	CC Dimensions.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	1187140Click image for larger version

Name:	101412130325.jpg
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	1187141
    The cabinet: Pretty simple stuff, sealed cabinet 25" wide, 8.5" tall, and 14" deep with a separate 2.5 liter chamber for the mid. All .75" material. Woofers and mid are surface mounted, the tweeter is flush mounted. It's a tight fit, the edge of the mid is right at the edge of the tweeter recess, some careful measuring was required before cutting the driver holes into the baffle, but if a hack like me can pull it off, it is do-able.

Name:	ArmadilloXO.jpg
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	1182005Click image for larger version

Name:	ArmadilloCCrevisedFR.jpg
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	1182006
    The crossover: This is Marks territory here, one thing I can say is that the response is indeed very flat as the sim suggests. The only change to the crossover that was made, after a bit of listening, is a bit of additional padding on the tweeter (the 3.3 ohm series resistor). I bumped it up to 4.7 as it was just a tad hot in the top end. Mark suggested ordering a few different values to play with, adjust it to your taste, and I will suggest the same. I would think between 3-6 ohms would be good.
    Last edited by bolland83; 12-06-2013, 10:21 PM. Reason: Updated dimensions and added interior detail photo.
    My modest builds:
    Armadillo TM, A.K.A. Lil' Dillo
    Tarkus/Armadillo build #2
    Armadillo Center Channel
    Au-Rock-O Sub
    Tarkus
    Staining MDF tutorial

Re: The Armadillo Center Channel

The finished build:

Name:	P1010248.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	1143763Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010252.JPG
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	1143764Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010260.JPG
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	1143765Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010269.JPG
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	1143766Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010277.JPG
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	1143767

Conclusions: I think Mark hit the nail on the head with this one, action scenes with sounds panning from left to right are seamless! Dialogue is clean and clear, but not overpowering, it blends in very well with my mains. Off axis response is great, there's certainly no dead spots in my living room. It even sounds great with music, the extended stereo modes on my receiver are actually enjoyable now, vs. my old commercial speakers where it was like "eww, that's nasty sounding". All in all, I'd say it's a great success :D
    My modest builds:
    Armadillo Center Channel
    Au-Rock-O Sub
    Tarkus
    Staining MDF tutorial

Comment

The bill of materials, as built:

Name:	BOM1.jpg
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	1143771Click image for larger version

Name:	BOM2.jpg
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	1143772
      The crossover layout:

Name:	111812132116.jpg
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	1154249Click image for larger version

Name:	111812132129.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	1154247Click image for larger version

Name:	overlay.jpg
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	1154248
      Last edited by bolland83; 12-06-2013, 10:36 PM. Reason: Added x-over layout
      My modest builds:
      Armadillo Center Channel
      Au-Rock-O Sub
      Tarkus
      Staining MDF tutorial

Comment

mark is my hero. ok, so are you. great project you two!!
        " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
        Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
        http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

That's fricken SWEEEEEEEEET, but keep the kitties away. I think I see a cat-scratching post back there??
          Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

That looks awesome man

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
            return to the source
            leviathan system thread
            deadhorse thread
            shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

that finish is just unbelievable! AMAZING
              My Build Blog: LHark Audio

Comment

Wow, you two. Great job! Now we finally have an answer to the much-asked question about "is there a matching center for the Tarkus?"
                Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Beautiful job with the center and the finish it looks great. I love the sunburst with the matching TV stand and Tarkus mains.
                  "I like Brewski's threads, they always end up being hybrid beer/speaker threads based on the name of his newest creation." - Greywarden

Breakfast Stout - HiVi RT2 II/Aurasound NS6
                  Imperial Russian Stout - Vifa DX25/Fountek FW146/(2) Fountek FW168s - Built by Fastbike
                  Ruination 2.5 way - Vifa DX25/Fountek FW168
                  Levitation TM
                  - Vifa BC25SG15/Fountek FW168

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
                    Wow, you two. Great job! Now we finally have an answer to the much-asked question about "is there a matching center for the Tarkus?"
                    I think I was the first one to ask that question, I'm glad you approve! I'm also hoping this will prompt more people to show Tarkus some love, they make great HT speakers :D
                    My modest builds:
                    Armadillo Center Channel
                    Au-Rock-O Sub
                    Tarkus
                    Staining MDF tutorial

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
                      Paul, we appreciate the validation! It does what we were shooting for, and I don't think we could be happier with it.

Gaelen did a STELLAR job of building this, as is his MO, and I'd be very remiss if I didn't point out the fact that he has come up with a revolutionary finishing technique. Quite simply, I've never seen the like of it, anywhere. It's easy, cheap, and stunning. IMHO, he's made a contribution to this hobby that I'll never be able to match: The Great Thing That No One Has Done Before.

I humbly bow to the genius....

Mark
                      You go your way, I'll go mine. I don't care if we get there on time.

~Pink Floyd

Comment

Originally posted by Mark65 View Post
                        I humbly bow to the genius....

Mark
                        ... says the guy who designed a 3 way crossover that will work with a CC AND a tower!
                        Last edited by bolland83; 09-08-2012, 07:03 PM.
                        My modest builds:
                        Armadillo Center Channel
                        Au-Rock-O Sub
                        Tarkus
                        Staining MDF tutorial

Comment

Once again, hit this out of the park. That finish technique continues to be amazing.
                          I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.
                          OS MTMs http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=220388
                          Swope TM http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=221818
                          Econowave and Audio Nirvana AN10 fullrange http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=216841
                          Imperial Russian Stouts http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...=1#post1840444
                          LECBOS. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ghlight=lecbos

Comment

Originally posted by bolland83 View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29058[/ATTACH]
                            Guys,
                            A question on the notation you used for the mid section of the XO - it is marked as getting the negative signal on the far left, but still going to ground. I'm guessing you're indicating that the mid's polarity is simply flipped. Can you confirm?
                            Thanks,
                            Colin

Comment

Very nice, guys. I now expect a TM and/or bipolar surround and a matching LR tower to be completed within the week :D
                              Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Working...
                              X