X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CO‹GAR - Boombox

CO‹GAR

Build Thread HERE

A 640-watt Boombox built mainly for tailgate and yard parties but will also provide music in the garage.

Drivers:

MTMs - 2x Seas CA12RCY + SB Acoustics SB29RDNC-4 ~ 0.40 ft^3 - Fb = 70Hz - F3= 64.8 Hz ~ 2.87" I.D. x 6.5" port

SUB - Dayton Audio NS270-44 ~ 1 ft^3 - 3" ID x 11" flared port - Fb = 36.5Hz - F3= 35Hz

Head Unit:

Pioneer DEH-P7400HD

Amplifier:

PowerBass Xtreme XAX-4160FD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by bkeane1259; 09-07-2012, 01:10 PM.
    Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Re: CO‹GAR - Boombox

Can I order one of those as a christmas gift to myself? Looks great, I think you nailed that textured finish, looks meant to be on this project.
    How did that Pioneer HU work for you? Any impressions on the PB amplifier as well?

Comment

This is absolutely fantastic and I wish I wouldn't have peeked in here.....I have too many projects and this makes me want to start boombox v 2.0.

Bravo Bryan.
      Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Masterful job, Brian. The overall concept of the integrated head unit is very creative, and the finished product shows excellent design sense. And even though it's not the first time the NS series has been used in this way, it's still a great application for the driver. I hope you can bring this to MWAF or InDIYana.

(Note: My new profile and signature are not a joke.)
        Best Regards,

Rory Buszka
        Product Manager, Dayton Audio

The best way to predict the future is to create it.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
          Masterful job, Brian. The overall concept of the integrated head unit is very creative, and the finished product shows excellent design sense. And even though it's not the first time the NS series has been used in this way, it's still a great application for the driver. I hope you can bring this to MWAF or InDIYana.

WOW!!! Good for you Rory! Congrats, too! heh heh... now we have an insider...

The Boom Box is absoutley absurd, I LOVE IT!!!

Comment

Thanks, Guys.

Ryan, the Pioneer HU sounds great. I'm glad I decided to buck up for it. In comparing the Pioneer to the Sony, there's no comparison. There are several important features on the Pioneer that make it perfect for this project, like: 4v RCA outputs, dedicated SUB RCAs, HD radio, and of course a CD player (the sony does not have one). I have yet to really test the internal amp in the HU but I'm sure it's decent as well.
            Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post

BIG CONGRATS Rory!! Then again, we should be congratulating PE on a smart choice for PM. Best of luck with the new gig.

Thanks for weighing in and for the positive comments...much appreciated, Mr. Buszka.....LOL. Can I still call you Rory?
              Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Comment

Thanks for the kind wishes, Brian and Mike. I'd like to stay on a first-name basis with the DIY community, and I'll keep doing projects of my own (though they will probably be published in a more timely fashion now, using Dayton drivers, and on glossy pages).

Ok, thread-jacking over.
                Best Regards,

Rory Buszka
                Product Manager, Dayton Audio

The best way to predict the future is to create it.

Comment

Fantastic idea and realization, Bryan!
                  Now, some might say you need a good shoulder strap for that rig.....:eek:
                  Last edited by donradick; 09-06-2012, 02:57 AM. Reason: spelling

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                  "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                  SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                  My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

How much does that weigh?

Comment

Dude, that thing is SICK!

I'm very, very impressed with that, and I want one.

Yesterday, please, if it's not too much to ask....:D

Mark
                      You go your way, I'll go mine. I don't care if we get there on time.

~Pink Floyd

Comment

Back yard BBQ party at your house! How do you like that deck btw? I was looking at that one for my truck actually.
                        My modest builds:
                        Armadillo TM, A.K.A. Lil' Dillo
                        Tarkus/Armadillo build #2
                        Armadillo Center Channel
                        Au-Rock-O Sub
                        Tarkus
                        Staining MDF tutorial

Comment

51lbs without a battery. The 18ah SLA that I'm using weighs 12lbs. It's not exactly something you'd carry to the beach...LOL.

Originally posted by joemomma View Post
                          How much does that weigh?
                          Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Comment

I like the Pioneer HU a lot. I'm glad ROTECH was able to talk me into buying it instead of using the old Sony.

It has 3 sets of RCA-outs (1 set is dedicated SUB-OUT) and they are 4v outputs, which makes a real difference. A lot of lower-end HUs have 2v outputs. So if you're running external amps, I'd highly suggest you make sure the HU has 4v RCA outputs. The ipod control (USB) works very well and is a noticeably better sounding input than the 3.5mm front panel AUX input. The sound is good...really good. The upper octaves are extremely clear and NOT hissy like some HUs I have had prior experience with. There are a lot of sound tweaking options like a bunch of preset EQs and settings for manual EQ tweaking. I have everything flat and it's just fine that way.

I have not had enough time to really dig in to the AM/FM or CD player. It has built in HD radio. I will report back when I've fiddled with some radio stations and some CDs. I also have not yet had a chance to hook up external speakers to the built-in HU amp. Gimme another week or so and I will report back.

That PowerBass amp appears to be solid. I was a bit nervous buying a full-range Class-D amp, but as far as my ears are concerned, it's a stellar performer. It's gets very loud but remains very clear and punchy in the bass department. It is very small, but never gets very warm and it has a ton of tweaking options (variable XOs, etc). I have not been able to do any current testing yet, so I'm not sure how much amperage the amp draws.

Originally posted by bolland83 View Post
                            Back yard BBQ party at your house! How do you like that deck btw? I was looking at that one for my truck actually.
                            Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Comment

I am wicked excited (yes from boston) to hear that the Pioneer met your expectations- or met my expectations as it be.
                              I hate volunteering suggestions to spend other people's money, but the decision worked, so we are all happy!!!

For the others here wondering about pioneer HU's.... One of the reasons I will always recommend Pioneer for an under $500 HU is because of one I had when my SPL competition truck was stolen.... I had a Pioneer HU, circa 1998 or so.... I had the faceplate with me in class so the theives had no use for the HU. When the truck was recovered, they had jammed 2 huuuuuge craftsman screwdrivers through the HU, one actually perforating out the back of the HU. To this day, I still have the HU and it works great, even with its battle wounds. Thats a performer in my book.

Comment

Working...
                              X