Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Neutrino - A High-Output Mini-Monitor

Just a quick post-script:

After a long time of being satisfied with these speakers using a 4-ohm padding resistor prior to the tweeter network, I decided to try a 5-ohm resistor, dropping the tweeter's level just a little bit. This has completely remade and stunningly refined the character of these speakers, and I recommend it wholeheartedly to anyone who wants to try building these (though to my knowledge no one has yet completed a pair, and admittedly they are a 'difficult' build). The result of adding that extra ohm of resistance has been to expand the soundstage even further, in width (enormously), depth, and height, and also to take the edge off the tweeters, which could over-accentuate detail at times and portray some recordings as difficult to listen to. Imaging becomes even a bit more continuous without losing definition.

So, if you are considering building these speakers, use the 5-ohm resistor. If you have a very dead room or find the treble to be less than your liking, then step back to a 4-ohm resistor. I'll put up a new schematic reflecting this change for clarity's sake.

Best Regards,

Rory Buszka
    Best Regards,

Rory Buszka
    Product Manager, Dayton Audio

The best way to predict the future is to create it.

Comment

Re: The Neutrino - A High-Output Mini-Monitor

Thanks for the update, Rory - when I said they were over analytical, I think my limited time with them lead to that impression, and I think it was probably just a hot treble I was hearing. Look forward to hearing the new revision!
      Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Port length question:

I'm mid-way through a Neutrino's build, but due to differences in standard sizes in the UK, the port diameters specified in the plans aren't available easily. I have some 30mm pipe left-over from an OS build so would like to use this.

I've modelled this in WinISD but I can't quite get all the metrics to match (ie getting the same port tuning, and box size). It looks like a port with 30mm dia and length of 82mm would be close to identical but I wouldn't mind another pair of eyes on it to confirm before I go any further.

Thanks for your help....
        Pensil 10.3 for MarkAudio Alpair 10
        IKEA Salad bowls, using Alpair 5MA
        Paul C - Overnight Sensations
        Neutrino's
        SB36 floorstanders, German kit.
        Hacked together bluetooth box using HiVi B4N + old KEF co-axials
        StartAirkit 2 - Peerless based bookshelf

Comment

Remember- larger diameter = longer port. It's a function of tuning, not port volume.
          Later,
          Wolf
          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
          http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Thanks for the tip, Wolf. I also referenced Paul C's Speedsters that use the same driver, but with a different box vol and tuning. I feel I'm close but given I couldn't quite get the 'proper' Neutrino port length, tuning and box vol to match in WinISD, I'm a touch concerned I might have missed something and end up with the wrong length in my change to a 30mm pipe.
            Neutrino's

Comment

They really are sweet. Keep going and start a new thread with your build pics.
              " To me, the soundstage presentation is more about phase and distortion and less about size. However, when you talk about bass extension, there's no replacement for displacement". Tyger23. 4.2015

Quote Originally Posted by hongrn. Oct 2014
              Do you realize that being an American is like winning the biggest jackpot ever??

http://www.midwestaudioclub.com/spot...owell-simpson/
              http://s413.photobucket.com/albums/pp216/arlis/

Comment

Port Resize:
                [Inches]
                [cms]
                Old Port Diameter: 1.029 2.614
                Old Port Length: 4.975 12.637
                New Port Diameter: 1.181 3.000
                New Port Length: 6.553 16.645

Comment

Thanks Keith - so bearing in mind there are 2 ports in the original Neutrino plan, and I'm replacing with a single 30mm port, how do I manipulate those lengths to equivalise?!?
                  Neutrino's

Comment

OK I've had a chance to run this through WinISD again and am starting to make sense of the data. With a box vol of 5.75l (probably a bit high) and tuning at 62 hz, this gives a port length of 16.6cm (matching the above). I only want 1 port, and tuned a bit lower (around 58hz, which takes me to a single port of 8.57cm. I think I'm happy now. I'll start a separate thread with my build tomorrow. Prior warning: I'm no artisan and haven't strayed from the original design much.
                    Neutrino's

Comment

Use caution in tuning the box any differently than my original design (referring to using different modeled Vb and Fb; using a different port(s) to achieve the tuning is open for experimentation). My box design is intended to provide the best combination of bass extension, excursion control, and overall output that is achievable from the W4-1720. Others have used differently sized and tuned enclosure volumes, but these designs (of the other ones I'm aware) were prone to over-excursion of the driver at low frequencies.
                      Technology in the service of art, for the life of the music.

Comment

Years later is are the parts to complete this still available?

Comment

Yep!
                          Wolf
                          "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
                          "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
                          "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
                          "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
                          http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
                          http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Working...
                          X