Lithium

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lithium

Would this design work in the Nano Neo cabs? I have the parts for this build and a set of DIY Sound Group enclosures for the Nano Neos. I know the tweeter would be centered rather than offset, but I don't know how much of an effect that has with this design. These would be used as desktop speakers with no sub so the taller enclosure as well as the lower extension will both be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by lostboy77 View Post
      Would this design work in the Nano Neo cabs? I have the parts for this build and a set of DIY Sound Group enclosures for the Nano Neos. I know the tweeter would be centered rather than offset, but I don't know how much of an effect that has with this design. These would be used as desktop speakers with no sub so the taller enclosure as well as the lower extension will both be appreciated.
      No it will not. I suppose you can get it close if you reduce the interior volume of the Nano Neo flat pack with an internal shelf so it matches the volume specs for the Lithium, but you're not doing yourself any favors with the ND105 by allowing it more room in the larger cabinet in combination with Scott's crossover. Scott put a great deal of work into his XO design to beat the ND105 into submission and it WORKS in the Lithium enclosure. I suspect you will have a complete mess by not addressing the cabinet volume.

The tweeter position in the Lithium was modeled specifically with the crossover as well, so by changing that position, you're going to alter the end resulting sound. Might not be a big deal for you, but there will be a difference. At any rate, you will have to do some decent modification to that tweeter cutout on the DIY sound group baffle to fit the Vifa BC25SC06-04. Won't the Vifa flange hit up against the ND105 if you use that mounting position?
      Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

Originally posted by lostboy77 View Post
        There are some aspects that won't be the same, such as the tweeter position and, obviously, the bass alignment. There are some things that will be working in your favor, however.

1. The Vifa BC25SC06-04 tweeter has a little horn loading, which I think will make it a little less sensitive to the shift in tweeter position on the baffle (keep the center to center distance between the tweeter and woofer as close as possible to the orginal design in order to preserve the integration at the crossover point). The overall baffle width is the same for the Nano Neo and the Lithium.

2. The deeper tuning should be okay for a desktop application where you are not trying to drive these too hard presumably. Having the woofer elevated may help keep the bass from becoming over emphasized. In general, I would recommend setting the Lithium on some sort of small stand if used on a desktop anyway, so the Nano Neo cabs may be well suited for this application.

Overall, it is always some risk to deviate from an original design as it will become something of a different animal, but I really think in this case it is highly probable that you will come out with something good that may provide another option for prospective builders. If you decide to go for it, let us know (maybe with a build thread). I need to get a set of those flat packs and drivers in house anyway as I am planning an MTM version of the Lithium - so I can help you out if you get these together and find that some tweaking is needed.
        Keep an open mind, but don't let your brain fall out.

Sehlin Sound Solutions

Comment

Now that's what we're talking about.

Originally posted by scottsehlin View Post
          <snip>
          as I am planning an MTM version of the Lithium
          -<snip>.
          I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.
          OS MTMs http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=220388
          Swope TM http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=221818
          Econowave and Audio Nirvana AN10 fullrange http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=216841
          Imperial Russian Stouts http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...=1#post1840444
          LECBOS. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ghlight=lecbos

Comment

Scott,

Sorry for being a Mr. Buttinski there. A Lithium MTM sounds sweet. Will you be using the ND105-4 or ND105-8 for that??
            Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

If I've got cabs for what is going to be the standard for a Lithium MTM, I may just wait for that design to publish. Thanks for the vote of confidence regardless. I knew I was stretching things a little but had faith that it could turn out all right.

Comment

On the subject of a Lithium MTM, would you consider designing this one with the ND105s rear mounted? I really prefer the look of these when you hide the pincushion frames.

Comment

Originally posted by bkeane1259 View Post
                  Scott,

Sorry for being a Mr. Buttinski there. A Lithium MTM sounds sweet. Will you be using the ND105-4 or ND105-8 for that??
                  Don't worry about being a buttinski. You've been a strong advocate for the original design (which was my vision for what should be done with the ND-105). One of the great things about this hobby is the ability to customize and I've learned over the years that some design variation can be allowed and may wind up suiting someone's particular needs better than the original design.

My initial thought was to use the 4 ohm 105's, which should give approximately the same bass alignment as the Lithium MT's. The 8 ohm version has a higher Qts, which will probably require a larger enclosure and may lose some control in a ported alignment. If there is a strong sentiment toward using the 8 ohm version, however, I might consider it. The advantage would be higher sensitivity.

Sehlin Sound Solutions

Comment

Originally posted by scottsehlin View Post
                    Don't worry about being a buttinski. You've been a strong advocate for the original design (which was my vision for what should be done with the ND-105). One of the great things about this hobby is the ability to customize and I've learned over the years that some design variation can be allowed and may wind up suiting someone's particular needs better than the original design.

My initial thought was to use the 4 ohm 105's, which should give approximately the same bass alignment as the Lithium MT's. The 8 ohm version has a higher Qts, which will probably require a larger enclosure and may lose some control in a ported alignment. If there is a strong sentiment toward using the 8 ohm version, however, I might consider it. The advantage would be higher sensitivity.
                    I have some of these Vifa tweets I'd like to put to work, what would it take to configure a TMM 2.5? I have to admit to myself I am not a crossover guy. Ready to build ASAP........

You have some pretty cool designs!

Eric

Comment

I know you seem to keep pushing the 2.5 way. Do you dislike MTMs?

Comment

Did a MTM Lithium design get built? It sounds like an interesting design.
                        nikkoluvr

Comment

Scott had a Lithium MTM prototype at the hotel for Iowa 2013 and it sounded quite nice. I'm sure he will chime in soon to talk about it.

Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Comment

Is the design finalized or are changes still being made ?

Comment

When I brought these to Iowa, I didn't have a full set of measurements and hadn't had as much listening time as I would like to have. Since then, I have done more listening - and wound up tweaking one resistor. I ran a full set of measurements tonight and think we are good to go.

I will give the "LithMTM" it's own long overdue design thread.

Sehlin Sound Solutions

Comment

Looks like a very nice compact speaker, Scott.
                                Two corrections to the Bill of Materials pictured in post 1:
                                Part number for Dayton Audio DMPC-8.2 8.2uF 250V Polypropylene Capacitor is 027-426
                                Part number for Dayton Audio DNR-3.0 3 Ohm 10W Precision Audio Grade Resistor is 004-3

Comment

Working...
                                X