Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

Aria Petites Version 2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aria Petites Version 2

Some time ago I built the first version of the "Petites"
    They did perform extremely well, however I wasn't totally satisfied with the bass response. It was good, but I felt it could be better.
    You can read about the build here http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi...ker-build.html

I swapped out the woofers for a different variety, which improved the bass performance no end but dropped the wattage from 125 to 90 watts, which meant that they would be a little underdone with a big amp. At 15 liters I think this enclosure was just a little too large for the driver and design.
    I have been working on the second version of these, using the same design as their bigger sister as seen below.
    Build thread here http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...-3-2-way-tower

The "Petites are a two way monitor/large bookshelf speaker that will be mounted on stands. The design is for music listening and are not intended for home theatre applications, although coupled with a good sub they could well form part of a HT system.

The crossover is a 2nd order Butterworth, crossing at 3500Khz with L-Pad to match the tweeters to the woofer. This is a 4dB stepdown. There is a slight dip at 950Hz in the woofer, which for now I wont worry about unless it is audible. I don't think it will be however.

The tweeter is a titanium 25mm unit originally made by Vifa and now produced as an after market unit for Jaycar NZ & AU. http://www.jaycar.us/productResults....63&form=CAT2#4
    It performs very well and has no truly nasty habits like spittiness or an over abundance of sibilance.
    Its very similar to the Vifa D25AG.
    The driver is a 165mm (6.5 inch) kevlar mid-woofer, with a frequency range of 35Hz to 8Khz with SPL @ 88.6dB. Power handling is 125watts rms continuos with a short term peak at 250 watts.
    The cabinet is 12 litres after subtracting for internal parts. Port is 66mm and the airspeed at this point is approx 25 meters a second so there should be a nice controlled roll off in the bass.

Today saw the construction of the crossovers and the routing of the back plate of the cabinets, which is a screwed in place with a seal strip. This allows access to the internals and the crossover which will be mounted on the backplate over the input terminals.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4252.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	216.2 KB
ID:	1182730Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4253.JPG
Size:	218.8 KB
ID:	1182731Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4259.JPG
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	1182732Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4260.JPG
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	1182733

The backplate takes both the port and the input plate in recessed openings to keep everything flush and tidy.

The walls of the enclosures are 32mm thick, lined with acoustic wadding an wil have 40% acoustic stuffing added.
    The result should give Fb @ 58.48 Hz and an F3 of 53.46 Hz. This seems to be about right for the woofer in a 12 litre enclosure. Testing should tell me more. Once I know that I have things right and the crossover is doing its thing properly, I will rebuild the crossover with a higher grade of componentry, which should further improve performance.

One thing I know form previously using these drivers is that they provide a very good sound stage and good imagining. Off axis listening is excellent.

Name:	DSCF4264.JPG
Size:	192.4 KB
ID:	1182734
    "Gotta Love Dat Sound..."

Currently Building ..PMS

Re: Aria Petites Version 2

Over the past few days I have installed the crossovers, sealed up the enclosures and installed the speakers.
    I used Unibox to design the enclosures and was a little unsure as to the port sizing being correct. These 6.5 inch woofer don't require large enclosures, one of the reasons for choosing them. I need not have worried, the 66mm (5.75 inch ) adjustable port is spot on. Driving the speakers at mid power ( 50 watts rms approx) the amount of air being moved by these small beasts is amazing. My wife reckons she could blow dry her hair with them Not that that's likely, the speakers weigh 15kgs (approx 30lbs).

So how do they sound? Considerably better than I expected.
    My son said they sound like they want to be big speakers and they certainly perform as such. I currently have them running as my fronts on the HT setup even though they were never designed for this use, they perform extremely well.

I don't have any test equipment currently so we are doing good old fashioned listening ear testing.

We chose a wide variety of test tracks.

Kicking of with a general sound test:Tracks below.

• The Black Eyed Peas "Just Can't Get Enough" which is a good all-round test track.
    • Next up was Prince with "Cream" a good solid rock track, with fast high octave guitar/vocals.
    • Sting playing "Wrapped Around Your Finger", good vocals and a nice test for lower bass extension.
    • Lana del Ray and "Summertime Sadness & Video Games", great midrange/bass test tracks.

Bass Test Tracks:

• Maserati - "Who Can Find the Beast?" Short track, but capable of turning woofer inside out.
    • Kids Of 88 - "Raza" another bass thumper. Multi level bass in this track.
    • Pink Floyd - "Speak to me/Breathe". Nice subtle bass coupled with a long roll off at the bottom of the notes.
    • Muse - "Madness" This is a pretty tough test for a small woofer. Pulsating synthesized bass beat, coupled with a cool lyric makes for an unusual track.

Vocals & Harmonics: Test for midrange & upper register.

• First up, Robert Plant & "Big Log". Acoustic guitar and vocals.
    • Joan Armatrading " Love & Affection", Nice vocals and acoustic instrumentation.
    • Alanis Morrisette - "Thankyou" Vocal test. If the tweeters aren't right this track will kill the sound.
    • Pink Floyd - "Learning to Fly" Midrange test, clarity of pilots voice mid track. To date the best I have heard.
    • Sting - "Desert Rose" good track for picking clean vocals as the music tends to over power the vocals at certain points.

Observations:

At this point I haven't heard any real weakness in these speakers. Initially I thought the bass response was a little "boomy" but discovered that my amp had been adjusted by the Wife (say no more )
    Once they are on their proper stands they should settle in nicely. The wall thickness of these is 32mm (1 1/4 inch) sandwich of hardwood and mdf, and there is almost zero resonance when running at high power. Definitely worth doing even at the cost of more weight.
    Not much more to tell at this point other than I need to run them in now and decide what if any changes to the crossovers may be in order.

Last edited by KiwiListener; 11-02-2012, 01:21 AM.

Currently Building ..PMS

Comment

Very nice. Love the audition play list too!!!

One correction (I think) - Lana - Summertime Sadness, right??
      Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attach | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | COGAR, COUGAR II and COGAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

Nice work on your speakers with an excellent write up.
        I particularly like your notes on the playlist. I am familiar with many of the songs referenced in your list as well as others I've seen submitted. My compliments on including WHY you selected certain songs. Even when I'm familiar with a certain track, it adds a new level of clarity to know how they can be used to test performance.
        With all the scientific testing, equipment, and squiggly graphs, sometimes this anecdotal information is equally telling.
        Cheers:beer:

Comment

Originally posted by bkeane1259 View Post
          Very nice. Love the audition play list too!!!

One correction (I think) - Lana - Summertime Sadness, right??
          Thanks Bryan, and well spotted it is indeed Summertime Sadness.

Currently Building ..PMS

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic Temple View Post
            Nice work on your speakers with an excellent write up.
            I particularly like your notes on the playlist. I am familiar with many of the songs referenced in your list as well as others I've seen submitted. My compliments on including WHY you selected certain songs. Even when I'm familiar with a certain track, it adds a new level of clarity to know how they can be used to test performance.
            With all the scientific testing, equipment, and squiggly graphs, sometimes this anecdotal information is equally telling.
            Cheers:beer:
            Cheers for that
            I've always thought that the technology and squiggly graphs is only part of it. We all hear differently and we all like various styles of music. I've heard some of those tracks on $10,000 plus speakers that sound absolutely dreadful, not because they aren't good quality but simply because they aren't setup right. The room you are in, the type of amp you use, or sound card from your media box all play very different rolls in how good or bad speakers can sound.

A good deal of the tracks I have listed I am very familiar with. I also have the advantage of having most of them on vinyl, in some cases original recordings, so re-mixes and the like can also sound very different. So whats good for me isn't always good for you.
            Then there are those like me that suffer some hearing loss. In my case i have a dip at 18000khz which is generally not too noticeable, although the tinnitus is :(
            And of course as we age we tend to lose a little of the upper registers as well. My son initially said I had the L-pad wrong as the tweeters seemed too bright.
            When we checked the amp the treble level was at +4dB, which seemed nice and crisp to me but seemed to bright for him. Makes me wish I was 22 again

I will start the stands this weekend. I haven't quite decided on what form these will take, so I will update this thread as I go along.

Currently Building ..PMS

Comment

Thanks for all the info. Your speakers look great.
              ~Marty

Baby Eidolons
              Sapphos
              Cables (Post #54)
              Other speakers (Post #21)
              Design Thoughts (Posts: 6,10,13,33,35)
              Boundary Augmentation
              Dispersion/Interference

Comment

Thankyou. Fun to build even better to listen to

Currently Building ..PMS

Comment

Made the stands today. The top plate bolts directly to the bottom of the speaker. The top plate runs the full distance of the base from front to back but is only one third the width of the speaker.
                  The column is one piece of heart Kauri and the bottom & toplate's are made of solid heart Rimu. The finish is a natural wood oil & polish.

Name:	DSCF4401.JPG
Size:	562.4 KB
ID:	1144924
                  On the stands and thumping

When running at medium high volume there is a small amount of resonance in the speaker wall, but when the column was checked there was considerably more resonance in the column, which is exactly what I was aiming for.

Name:	DSCF4409.JPG
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	1144926

The stands are doing their job nicely and the sound at lower bass frequency is a lot more refined.
                  Although the photos show them as fronts I will run them as rears and slowly break them in. I have to say the the Kevlar driver gives astonishingly good midrange now they are on stands. I'm going to use the 5 inch version of the Kelvar driver as a midrange in a new three way set I have on the design board.
                  I added the photo below so you could see some of the playlist I tested with this afternoon.

Playlist

Name:	DSCF4405.JPG
Size:	515.6 KB
ID:	1144925

Just the grills to make up now, that's likely to be next weekends project.

Currently Building ..PMS

Comment

Working...
                  X