Announcement

Collapse

2nd Annual Stock-toberfest

2nd Annual Stock-toberfest starts October 17th! Time to stock-up on great products at great prices! Click the Parts Express Logo at the top left of this page.
See more
See less

3-Way Active - High WAF - Hi-Vi-Fas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 3-Way Active - High WAF - Hi-Vi-Fas

Painting these with automotive paint.

I decided to go with a "frozen" color instead of gloss as usual. These paint jobs are getting pretty popular on high end sports cars, and I've always liked the look as they sit between gloss and total matte.

My girlfriend wants to repaint the kitchen cabinets white, so I figured this would be a good experiment before doing all of the kitchen work.

Used this paint.
    http://www.tcpglobal.com/kustomshop/HRF202.aspx

Here they are right after being sprayed. I believe they'll dry to be more flat.

Comment

Looking good.
      ~Marty

Baby Eidolons
      Sapphos
      Cables (Post #54)
      Other speakers (Post #21)
      Design Thoughts (Posts: 6,10,13,33,35)
      Boundary Augmentation
      Dispersion/Interference

Comment

Paint dried. Looks great - really even and flat, just the way I expected it. The "flatness" really makes it pick up the characteristics of whatever light it's in. I took pics of it under 2 different temperature lights to show.

Next up is fabricating the stands/feet and the terminal plate.

Comment

Love the paint choice. Looks really sharp.....very nice.
          Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

Holy wow, that paint looks freaking awesome!

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
            return to the source
            leviathan system thread
            deadhorse thread
            shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Got the terminal plates done. It is a 3-way active so needed 6 posts.

I went with gloss black acrylic, as it is the exact opposite of the matte white color of the cabinets. I also made the plate intentionally taller vertically just like the cabinets themselves.

Comment

Sometimes simplicity is best, these are looking quite nice. Good job!
                Audio: Media PC -> Sabre ESS 9023 DAC -> Behringer EP2500 -> (insert speakers of the moment)
                Sites: Jupiter Audioworks - Flicker Stream - Proud Member of Midwest Audio Club

Comment

Drivers installed. Yay. Need to figure out bases.

Comment

A stunning looking speaker, good job! Nice set of drivers too, should be quite impressive in the end.
                    Audio: Media PC -> Sabre ESS 9023 DAC -> Behringer EP2500 -> (insert speakers of the moment)
                    Sites: Jupiter Audioworks - Flicker Stream - Proud Member of Midwest Audio Club

Comment

Great looking design! Any thoughts on a base to help stabilize them? You wouldn't want these to accidentally tip over.
                      ~Marty

Baby Eidolons
                      Sapphos
                      Cables (Post #54)
                      Other speakers (Post #21)
                      Design Thoughts (Posts: 6,10,13,33,35)
                      Boundary Augmentation
                      Dispersion/Interference

Comment

They're surprisingly stable, the bottom 7.5 inches are solid MDF. But yes, I will be making some bases. I really don't have any idea what to do though. Reached a bit of a dead end. Only ones I've seen that I kinda like (maybe I like the speaker more than the base) are these.

Anyone else got any ideas? I did buy the isolation spikes thus far

Comment

How about a truncated circle with a 1/4" chamfer around the top edge, in gloss black?
                          My modest builds:
                          Armadillo TM, A.K.A. Lil' Dillo
                          Tarkus/Armadillo build #2
                          Armadillo Center Channel
                          Au-Rock-O Sub
                          Tarkus
                          Staining MDF tutorial

Comment

Decided to try my hand at working with a new material - concrete!

Going to make short "sleeves" that the speaker will slide into. Should be fun. Anyone have any experience with decorative concrete?

Comment

My dad did the countertops for his outdoor kitchen in concrete and stained/sealed them. He actually sanded them down with his palm sander, which nearly destroyed it, but they're pretty legit.

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
                              return to the source
                              leviathan system thread
                              deadhorse thread
                              shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

These are looking really nice! I really like the idea of a thin tall tower, especially when the WAF is tossed into the mix. I may actually show this project to her to demonstrate how nice a small tower can look (she tends to think all speakers are ugly...). Throw in some paint that matches our trim and she might not be able to resist... yeah right!

I have a question that's only kind-of related to your build, so instead of hijacking your thread I decided to start a new one. The question is in regards to directivity, and I would appreciate everyone's thoughts:

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...78#post1872578

Thanks in advance, and good luck with your bases! The concrete idea could be cool, or it could be a mess... I'll be interested to see how it turns out either way!

Comment

Working...
                                X