J-Boom - A jewelry boom box

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J-Boom - A jewelry boom box

J-BOOM - A mini boom box design incorporated into jewelry boxes for my two neices.

Drivers: Vifa coax drivers from Apex Jr
    Amplifier: Dayton DTA-2

Build Thread HERE

This was a fun but nerve-racking project due mainly to lousy winter weather and the unrealistic timeframe I gave myself to complete the project. However, both girls love the finished products and the parents were pretty impressed. The Vifa Co-ax drivers are perfect for a boom box application and in the right alignment, they’re damned impressive.

The drivers share a common space of 8L net with a 6” I.D. x 2” port. This models an F3 of 55Hz. I mocked up a simple LR2 XO at approx..4.1kHz with some slight tweeter padding. The Dayton DTA-2 provides the juice.

Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attaché | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | COÜGAR, COUGAR II and COÜGAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Re: J-Boom - A jewelry boom box

Well done, sir. I love "alternative" builds. I only wish I had more reason to build stuff like this.
    Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Lookin good man. My lady is foaming at the mouth now to have me pull her kitchen speakers and jewelry box that I built together into an all in one package.

Those coaxes, with your good design, do they have noticable bass output? They would be such an easy driver to keep on the shelf for all the friends who want sound without a lot of work......

Comment

Originally posted by ROTECH View Post
        Lookin good man. My lady is foaming at the mouth now to have me pull her kitchen speakers and jewelry box that I built together into an all in one package.

Those coaxes, with your good design, do they have noticable bass output? They would be such an easy driver to keep on the shelf for all the friends who want sound without a lot of work......
        The Vifas are nice drivers and in the space that I allocated for them there's a decent amount of bass. With the DTA-2 and the fact that the Vifa's are 8-ohm nominal drivers there's not wall-shaking volume though, and the amp poops out before the drivers.

I like those drivers enough to try them in a 3-way though....I think there's real possibilities there, but right now I have too much on my plate. That will be a summer project perhaps.
        Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attaché | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | COÜGAR, COUGAR II and COÜGAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

I don't see any screw mounting points for the drivers - how did you affix them to the cabinet?

Comment

Originally posted by devinkato View Post
            I don't see any screw mounting points for the drivers - how did you affix them to the cabinet?
            That is correct. The vifas need to be secured from behind. I used this grill mount hardware kit from PE.

I recessed the drivers and used four clamps per driver which was absolute overkill. Three would be fine and you could most likely get away with using two clamps per driver and a bead of silicone glue.

Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Comment

I bought three of these drivers from Apex Jr, but they sat on a shelf for a while. I measured them with no break in and fs was 100Hz on one and 200 Hz on the second - the third had no resonance. It took me a while to figure out that the coil was blocked. The tweeter section had come loose and was pinching the coil between the pole piece and top plate - so the driver was toast. Seems like I got one good driver for $45, I'm not too happy.

Comment

You can see my DATS measurements in the build thread. Mine were around 95Hz. I would call [email protected] Apex and discuss your situation. He's a straight up guy.

From what I gather, these are old drivers. Old drivers = potential problems. I guess I was lucky. Good luck.
                Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Comment

This is an awesome project. Wow. I really want to build one of these.... Maybe a bit pre-emptive, but one for my daughter.....
                  Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Working...
                  X