MTMWW on the cheap... somewhat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MTMWW on the cheap... somewhat

New shop speakers using 4 clearance Aura NS8's, 4 Buyout Peerless India 835444's, and 2 Vifa XT19TD00-04's(went with this b/c I want to use the xt25 but couldn't make it fit on the baffle)

These sound pretty awesome to me. Nice strong, tight bass, nice tone overall. And they can take some power. Pretty high sensitivity as well. X-over points are ~500/3500. I designed the x-overs before I got a mic. In my initial tests setting up my mic and figuring out ARTA they looked pretty flat as is. Unfortunately I didn't save a screen grab of the response at the time. Next time I set up to measure something I'll pull them down and remeasure them. Speaker impedance looks good hooked up to DATS.

I added one more brace from what is in the picture and added convoluted foam to the rear of the cabs. The cabs are as short as they are b/c the are installed on their side on shelves at the back of the shop. I considered doing wmtmw originally but opted for the mtmww in case I ever wanted to stand them upright. I figure I could add or place them on a stand to get the tweeter height where it needs to be if that day ever comes.

Woofer section is ~.84 ft3 net, tuned to 49hz and the finished baffle is 1.25" thick(3/4" + 1/2" MDF) b/c I wanted to recess the auras all the way.

Also I added an L-pad to the tweeter x-over that isn't shown @ 1 ohm S x 32 ohm P iirc. $70 in parts for both x-overs (went with 6% electrolytics in the woofer lp and the mid hp, poly's on the tweeter hp and the mid lp)

Buyout MTMWW

Re: MTMWW on the cheap... somewhat

Those are actual Peerless, not Peerless of India. Should be a high quality system for you!
    Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

That's a pretty awesome build, how do they sound?

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
      return to the source
      leviathan system thread
      deadhorse thread
      shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

How you created the ports with the inner chamber is brilliant. I bet they sound great. The XT19 is every bit as smooth as its big brother and the peerless should be a fine mid.
        Brad
        piano black sealing mdf irregular recesses grill technique

Comment

They sound awesome :D I love these 8" Aura's in this configuration. I'm looking for more of these if anyone has any they want to part with. I was blown away listening to some Dark Side and some Joseph Arthur and some Grant Lee Buffalo when I first fired them up. For music they go plenty low enough and with a nice clean kick clear midrange and pretty airy high end, for whatever those subjective descriptions are worth ;)

@ bmaupin, I was trying to keep them as compact as possible. I questioned what negative or other effect having the ports flank the mtm would cause but it seems to have worked out fine.
          Buyout MTMWW

Comment

Nice build, really like what you did with the ports. Can't wait to see your graphs.
            What type of paint did you use on them?
            Jeff

Comment

Thanks, I used Rustoleum brand Truck Bed Liner from HD. I really like that stuff, very easy to apply and dries fast. I put a primer coat on first. A little pricey though. Those pictures really don't do the speakers justice with all the dust all over the cabs and drivers
              Buyout MTMWW

Comment

I was looking at that stuff the other day, wondering if it was worth it, those look good, I might use it in the future.

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
                return to the source
                leviathan system thread
                deadhorse thread
                shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Great build- love the attention to detail on the fairly straightforward box.

Comment

Originally posted by gabel87 View Post
                    Thanks, I used Rustoleum brand Truck Bed Liner from HD. I really like that stuff, very easy to apply and dries fast. I put a primer coat on first. A little pricey though. Those pictures really don't do the speakers justice with all the dust all over the cabs and drivers
                    Ditto on the Rustoleum bed liner spray. Have used it twice now with great results....just need to be careful as it goes on heavy. Where did you get the Aura NS8's? I have used the NS6's and like their sould.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Bob View Post
                      *** Where did you get the Aura NS8's? I have used the NS6's and like their sould.
                      Right now, unfortunately, you don't. They were a fire-sale closeout at Madisound.
                      --
                      "Based on my library and laboratory research, I have concluded, as have others, that the best measures of speaker quality are frequency response and dispersion pattern. I have not found any credible research showing that most of the differences we hear among loudspeakers cannot be explained by examining these two variables." -Alvin Foster, 22 BAS Speaker 2 (May, 1999)

Comment

Working...
                      X