Finally finished the Statements!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Finally finished the Statements!!

I only said what I said about the Stance's efficiency based on what PWR said. As far as the 25w receiver to drive them goes, that prob would be a good one for Ben. I do know the vintage equipment's 25w compared to modern equipment's 25w isn't the same 25w if you know what I mean! I love vintage as well. I have a Pioneer SX-1050 driving my ER18s and ooooooh la la does it ever sing beautifully!!
    "The ability of any system to produce exceptional sound will be limited mainly by the capability of the speakers" Jim Salk
    "Audio is surely a journey full of revelations as you go" JasonP

Comment

These are really nice. Very cool how you chose to put these together.

Comment

Craig is used to larger 3-ways or 7" 2-ways for reference, so in effect, they would be more inefficient. However, They're more efficient than lots of speakers their size.
        I would think 25W would be enough to make them sing, but maybe more headroom would be required.
        Later,
        Wolf
        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
        http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

I do know what you mean about the watts. I auditioned many receivers before I got the CR-420, some with up to 75W/channel. All were in the same price range, and I settled on one pair of speakers to do all my listening, a pair of Mission 3-ways that weren't too bad. I hadn't built the S2's yet, so I thought it would be a good way to hear any differences between the receivers. I liked how the Mission sounded back then. Even with "only" 25W RMS, the Yamaha just had that certain SQ that other units didn't quite have, even ones with twice the power. It came down to the Marantz 20-something receiver, which I think had about 30-35W RMS and the CR-420. I thought the Yamaha had the edge...in 1977 I paid $450 for the CR-420. A lot of moola for me back then, but this was my first real stereo system and I wanted to have something nice. I saved out of my first two paychecks from my first full-time job, working in the Civil Engineering dept. at McChord AFB in Tacoma, Wa. I got the Yamaha YP-211 TT and the CR-420 at the same time...the guys really tried to sell me some speakers. When I told them I already decided the speakers I was going to "build", they actually chuckled and told me they'd still be there when I wanted to buy some "real" speakers. The old Yamaha still sounds terrific and the Azurites are hooked up to it now. The YP-211 also works very well and is hooked into the Emotiva set-up in the main system along with the Statements. Currently I have a nice Grado GF3E+ cartridge on the turntable. And thanks Ben, for adding your comments on the Stance and their efficiency. Since a good friend is buying my faithful Azurites next week, I'll have to get going on the Stance in the next month or so. I'm sure they'll be a great compliment to the old Yammie.

John A.
          "Children play with b-a-l-l-s and sticks, men race, and real men race motorcycles"-John Surtees
          Emotiva UPA-2, USP-1, ERC-1 CD
          Yamaha KX-390 HX-Pro
          Pioneer TX-9500 II
          Yamaha YP-211 w/Grado GF3E+
          Statement Monitors
          Vintage system: Yamaha CR-420, Technics SL-PG100, Pioneer CT-F8282, Akai X-1800, Morel(T)/Vifa(W) DIY 2-way in .5 ft3
          Photos: http://custom.smugmug.com/Electronic...#4114714_cGTBx
          Blogs: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=2003

Comment

Nice job and +1 on the copper, looks great next to the wood..
            A mains
            The Ventures
            Open Invit8tions
            RSR
            Sound Troopers
            Acorns
            DGBG's
            The Monuments

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post
              Craig is used to larger 3-ways or 7" 2-ways for reference, so in effect, they would be more inefficient. However, They're more efficient than lots of speakers their size.
              I would think 25W would be enough to make them sing, but maybe more headroom would be required.
              Later,
              Wolf
              Thanks Ben, that gives me confidence to move forward as well. I'll be driving mine w/ my 125w/ch Yamaha HT receiver, they'll be replacing JBL Northridge speakers. Waiting for tax dollars from uncle Sam to get rolling on it; and that may be a bit because I haven't done my taxes yet. Can't wait to get this project under way :D.

John, that's awesome that you've managed to hold on to that old Yammi for so long! Have you ever done the deoxit/lube on the controls? It made a huge difference on my Pioneer.
              "The ability of any system to produce exceptional sound will be limited mainly by the capability of the speakers" Jim Salk

Comment

Yeah, I've had to treat the rotary controls to some Caig, but only twice since I bought it. It went about 18 years before the first spray. The adjustable loudness control that Yamaha uses seems to be the one that needs it more than the other ones, and I sprayed that again about 3 years ago. I had to replace 2 of the tiny bulbs for the FM dial about 10 years ago. With the Yamaha, it has the sliding frequency indicator that's lighted and there's some longer wires going to it. Since that bulb is the only one that moves, it was the first to go. Other than that, it has performed beyond my expectations. When I got it, I never thought I'd still have it after 36 years.

John A.
                "Children play with b-a-l-l-s and sticks, men race, and real men race motorcycles"-John Surtees
                Emotiva UPA-2, USP-1, ERC-1 CD
                Yamaha KX-390 HX-Pro
                Pioneer TX-9500 II
                Yamaha YP-211 w/Grado GF3E+
                Statement Monitors
                Vintage system: Yamaha CR-420, Technics SL-PG100, Pioneer CT-F8282, Akai X-1800, Morel(T)/Vifa(W) DIY 2-way in .5 ft3
                Photos: http://custom.smugmug.com/Electronic...#4114714_cGTBx
                Blogs: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=2003

Comment

Excellent, Matt!!:applause: That arch on the top lends nice character to a standard box. Reminds me a bit of a floor standing clock case.

Is the baffle and back some type of laminate? Can you post a couple of close ups of the triangle and diamond in the base? Is that inlaid applique or what?

It looks great! Gives me some possible cues for a future build, too.

Marvin

Comment

Originally posted by marvin View Post
                    Excellent, Matt!!:applause: That arch on the top lends nice character to a standard box. Reminds me a bit of a floor standing clock case.

Is the baffle and back some type of laminate? Can you post a couple of close ups of the triangle and diamond in the base? Is that inlaid applique or what?

It looks great! Gives me some possible cues for a future build, too.

Marvin
                    The baffle and back are done w/ real mottled copper veneer. The veneer is a little thicker than an aluminum can, cuts well w/ sissors, and tools very nicely. Unfortunately you have to be extremely cautious while routing it or the router base will scratch it (learned that on the first one :().

Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-11-13_19-55-50_346.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	1146446 Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-11-13_22-36-06_761.jpg
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	1146447

The eight ball triangle and nine ball diamond are inlalyed. Here's a closeup of the triangle. I haven't uploaded the pics of the process for doing the inlay, but I can if you like. Basically I made a 1/4" thick MDF template, then mounted a brass guide bushing in my router and routed it out using a 3/16" router bit (the width of the inlay). I finished the sharp corners w/ a woodchisel.

Name:	179.JPG
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	1146448

I uploaded the pic I have of the process. This is everything I used. I used the utility knife to cut the inlay strips.

Name:	2012-12-29_15-04-33_359.jpg
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	1146450

Thanks for the compliment!!! How have you been? I'm ready for another DIY demo

Comment

Originally posted by mattsk8 View Post
                      The baffle and back are done w/ real mottled copper veneer. The veneer is a little thicker than an aluminum can, cuts well w/ sissors, and tools very nicely. Unfortunately you have to be extremely cautious while routing it or the router base will scratch it (learned that on the first one :().
                      I have used shelf liner contact paper to protect a pre-finished surface while routing....works very nicely since you can peel it off when finished. Perhaps that is what you learned, too.

Name:	JPEG Image (9211553).jpg
Size:	864.7 KB
ID:	1146457Click image for larger version

Name:	JPEG Image (17048321).jpg
Size:	831.5 KB
ID:	1146458

The eight ball triangle and nine ball diamond are inlalyed. Here's a closeup of the triangle. I haven't uploaded the pics of the process for doing the inlay, but I can if you like. Basically I made a 1/4" thick MDF template, then mounted a brass guide bushing in my router and routed it out using a 3/16" router bit (the width of the inlay). I finished the sharp corners w/ a woodchisel.
                      I did a small mantle clock inlay project years ago where the strip was on the edge which is easier than in the center of your panel. Nice job and thanks for posting it--it helps remind me of possibilities for a future build.

Thanks for the compliment!!! How have you been? I'm ready for another DIY demo
                      I am doing well. Still holding out for a couple more options before committing to another build. Hope to build something sometime this year to show at whatever events come up. Your get together was fun and it would be great to have another sometime.

Comment

Working...
                      X