The Intimates, an easy to construct high-end 2-way monitor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Intimates, an easy to construct high-end 2-way monitor

These beauties passed my WAF with flying colors. They also passed my objective/subjective measurement and listening tests as well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	4179.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	1183426

Click image for larger version

Name:	4182.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	1183427

Visit this link for construction details and background info.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ight=intimates
    Live in Southern N.E.? check out the CT Audio Society web site.

Re: The Intimates, an easy to construct high-end 2-way monitor

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
    Excellent work.
    Thanks Rory. I've had a lot of complimentary comments about the Intimates but....

WHEN IS SOMEONE GOING TO BUILD A PAIR?!!!!

Some indepent feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by carlspeak; 02-21-2013, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Likely when the SS 15W/8530K00 is not $235. The other sentiment to me is that some may feel this is a questionable tweeter filter, or that it's not one to be faithfully trusted due to possible underprotection of it.

My 2c,
      Wolf
      "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
      "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
      "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
      "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
      http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
      http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Thanks Wolf. It seems 2 cents is about what anyone wants to invest in an excellent speaker - so far. I've had mine for going on 2 years now and listen to them most every day. No blown tweeters yet! If you look closely at the D2905/9700 spec sheet, it's 100h RMS noise test rating is 225W - extremely robust even with the 2nd order filter used for the test. For those wondering about distortion, my HOM tests show an average 40dB down, or only about 1%. Not bad for a loudspeaker.

Lately, I've been playing a lot of symphonies and they sound great; much to even my surprise. Playing levels are peaking in the 90 to 95dB range. My listening position dB level seems about center orchestra, about 30 rows back - nice. For Diana Krall and her quartet, maybe two tables back in an intimate nightclub.

What I don't understand is the hesitancy to give this design a try. It's really low risk, both technically and financially. The drivers are some of the highest quality; needed to support the SFE xo design. The PE cabinet BB comes off in 5 minutes with an allen wrench. So xo changes to a more tradional type would be quite easy. I did this quite a bit in the early days when I experimented comparing the SFE xo with the Acoustic Reality xo series designs. It's not like this thing is locked in cement once built. New BB's can be purchased separately.

Comment

It seems the views count on this thread jumped about a 1000 overnight. Evidently, Wolfie does draw a crowd. :D

Comment

I cannot truly speak for anyone else, but I was definitely interested in the atypical crossover when you originally posted it, but it is in a strangely rarified space financially. You are right, most new comers are looking to spend less money, or otherwise if they are going to spend more serious money build big speakers like the statements. They probably don't know why your design is so cool. People who have been around a while, are probably much more interested in your design, but either have no immediate need to build more speakers, don't want to spend the money, or are going to go all out on a big budget build of their own design.

You have a cool DIY design with an tricky, but interesting crossover typology that probably is of most interest to people who are interested in designing speakers themselves. In other words is seems like a great product without much of a market. Now, if you changed that one vented resister to a tube that stuck out of the top of the cabinet...I mean...people love tubes.

Comment

Originally posted by NickJ View Post
              I cannot truly speak for anyone else, but I was definitely interested in the atypical crossover when you originally posted it, but it is in a strangely rarified space financially. You are right, most new comers are looking to spend less money, or otherwise if they are going to spend more serious money build big speakers like the statements. They probably don't know why your design is so cool. People who have been around a while, are probably much more interested in your design, but either have no immediate need to build more speakers, don't want to spend the money, or are going to go all out on a big budget build of their own design.

You have a cool DIY design with an tricky, but interesting crossover typology that probably is of most interest to people who are interested in designing speakers themselves. In other words is seems like a great product without much of a market. Now, if you changed that one vented resister to a tube that stuck out of the top of the cabinet...I mean...people love tubes.
              ;)

Comment

Originally posted by carlspeak View Post
                Thanks Rory. I've had a lot of complimentary comments about the Intimates but....

WHEN IS SOMEONE GOING TO BUILD A PAIR!!!!

Some indepent feedback would be greatly appreciated.
                I'd love to, but $790 for just the drivers is too rich for my blood.....I think that would be a limiting factor for many people and as NickJ notes, too...if I were to spend that much coin, I'd prefer to do something larger, like maybe pick up a pair of AR 12" woofs on ebay, build my own cabinets and do your AR3a supermods....

Comment

Originally posted by michiganpat View Post
                  I'd love to, but $790 for just the drivers is too rich for my blood.....I think that would be a limiting factor for many people and as NickJ notes, too...if I were to spend that much coin, I'd prefer to do something larger, like maybe pick up a pair of AR 12" woofs on ebay, build my own cabinets and do your AR3a supermods....
                  This is not a project for those on a budget or, those in love with the lore of speaker building; those who build a few projects a year, etc.

To me, it's for the person with the $ who wants to 'settle down' with his/her last pair of speakers and simply enjoy the music they produce.

Comment

Kind of answers why you have seen a build here doesn't it?

Originally posted by carlspeak View Post
                    This is not a project for those on a budget or, those in love with the lore of speaker building; those who build a few projects a year, etc.

To me, it's for the person with the $ who wants to 'settle down' with his/her last pair of speakers and simply enjoy the music they produce.
                    I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.
                    OS MTMs http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=220388
                    Swope TM http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=221818
                    Econowave and Audio Nirvana AN10 fullrange http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=216841
                    Imperial Russian Stouts http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...=1#post1840444
                    LECBOS. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ghlight=lecbos

Comment

wow at $200 plus not including shipping for a 5" midwoofer it's no wonder nobody's rushing out to build a pair.If I had the money to throw around I would love to put something together by scanspeak or seas maybe the ODIN MK3 kit if they still make those but alas Im a poor person,It took me 8 months to make some descant speakers buying a speaker here and there.I bet they sound preety good though!

Comment

Well, if it makes you feel any better Carl, I have been interested in this design since you initially posted it. I'm still interested, and I'm probably the perfect demographic for such a design:

1. I live in a major city, which means I have a small house and small speakers are all I need (and, frankly, all I can fit in the house).
                        2. I build speakers infrequently
                        3. I don't mind dropping $$$ on the drivers

The problem is #2 - I build speakers infrequently and I already own parts for three other projects. It doesn't help that my friends and family appear to be totally disinterested in speakers.
                        I couldn't even give away the last set that I build. Even 0.375cu foot cabinets are considered to be too big for most people these days... That's a whole other rant though.

The point is, I like these, they look great, thank you for posting them. I may build them yet.

Comment

Originally posted by mtmpenn View Post
                          Well, if it makes you feel any better Carl, I have been interested in this design since you initially posted it. I'm still interested, and I'm probably the perfect demographic for such a design:

1. I live in a major city, which means I have a small house and small speakers are all I need (and, frankly, all I can fit in the house).
                          2. I build speakers infrequently
                          3. I don't mind dropping $$$ on the drivers

The problem is #2 - I build speakers infrequently and I already own parts for three other projects. It doesn't help that my friends and family appear to be totally disinterested in speakers.
                          I couldn't even give away the last set that I build. Even 0.375cu foot cabinets are considered to be too big for most people these days... That's a whole other rant though.

The point is, I like these, they look great, thank you for posting them. I may build them yet.
                          Thanks for sharing. If you get to that point, I'll be of any help I can.

Comment

Well at the very least the parts count is low on the cross-over! That helps keep the cost down. I like this design , maybe one day a Scan speak build is in the cards for me!

Comment

Working...
                            X