Galactica IIs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Galactica IIs

Hi. Like many of you, I suspect, I have long admired Tony Gee's Galactica speakers at www.humblehomemadehifi.com . (there's a lot of cool stuff on Tony's site,check it out!) Although I I wanted to build those, I knew I couldn't really afford to. So I decided to build a similar project using products I could afford.

I chose to go with the SEAS T25CF001 E0006 EXCEL tweeter from Madisound. Paired with the Vifa PL series drivers, some of which I had on hand and some that I was able to find used here and elsewhere. These are the Vifa PL14, PL22 and PL26.

I had Madisound design a three way crossover for the tweeter and the PL14 and PL22. I gave them the cabinet dimensions and requested they design it for Mundorf caps and copper foil inductors. I will probably go the most expensive on the tweeter section, just because I have the most trouble being happy with that part of speaker systems.

I then proceeded to design and build the pieces for the cabinets - a lot of pieces! This is a huge project. A lot of work and if you want some of these, I suggest that you visit Tony's site and something with the best drivers and crossovers you can afford. Or, have Tony build it. I'm not trying to discourage anyone but these are a ton of work and materials. I will post my first pictures later in the project.

Re: Galactica IIs

I haven't looked at Tony's site in a while. I dont see the old designs anymore, except as pictures in the history section.
    Are his designs not available to DIY anymore?

I look forward to seeing your build.
    Andy.

Comment

I'm really excited to see this I've been drooling over Tony's designs since he had the old free site haha

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
      return to the source
      leviathan system thread
      deadhorse thread
      shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Go to the history section and in the beginning narative at the top of the history page you can click on 'download' and it takes you to a list of all the projects you can print out.

Comment

Hey another visit to my notes. I will try to place some pictures of my parts plans and the crossover designs. And maybe a picture of my original inspiration- Tony Gee's Galactica!
          Attached Files
          Last edited by bigg; 03-25-2013, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Some more photos
            Attached Files

Comment

One more. Love this one!
              Attached Files

Comment

Well. I have made several of the pieces and I will have pictures soon of the pieces and maybe some of the assembly.

Comment

sweet, I can't wait to see these flesh out.

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
                  return to the source
                  leviathan system thread
                  deadhorse thread
                  shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Did anyone else just smile at the picture of the BSG printed out in the design papers (pic Galactica II 006.JPG above)? Maybe it was just me
                    Audio: Media PC -> Sabre ESS 9023 DAC -> Behringer EP2500 -> (insert speakers of the moment)
                    Sites: Jupiter Audioworks - Flicker Stream - FRD Consortium Archive - Proud Member of Midwest Audio Club

Comment

The picture of what? Sorry I don't know what BSG means. Maybe it's just too early for me yet.

Comment

I should have been more specific: BattleStar Galactica = BSG,
                        Audio: Media PC -> Sabre ESS 9023 DAC -> Behringer EP2500 -> (insert speakers of the moment)
                        Sites: Jupiter Audioworks - Flicker Stream - FRD Consortium Archive - Proud Member of Midwest Audio Club

Comment

Well, I know you already spent money on crossover components, but if I were you I'd hit up Paul Carmody and see if he couldn't design a custom crossover for you. It would probably be a 6 hour drive for your to drop the speakers off, not too bad. Crossover design is going to be critical to get these to sound their best, especially with the time and money you are investing in these. You could probably sell or trade the crossover parts back to Madisound for different values, too. Someone who can measure the response of your speakers IN THE CABINET will have a much more accurate model to base their design off of. I suppose you paid madisound to design your crossover though. >.<

These are a 4-way speaker, right? 3-way passive and then a powered sub in each?
                          -Dan
                          Mandolin Curved Cabinet Floorstanding; Dayton Reference 18" sealed Subwoofer; Sealed 12" Dayton Reference Subwoofer ; Overnight Sensation builds

Comment

Originally posted by JasonP View Post
                            Did anyone else just smile at the picture of the BSG printed out in the design papers (pic Galactica II 006.JPG above)? Maybe it was just me
                            Yup! Me too...

Comment

Yes I paid Madisound for the crossover. I gave them the box volumes, dimensions and the driver measurements to one another. The crossover they did is the 3-way and I added a .5 for the lower woofer. It's too early to decide to take it elsewhere. When I finish the cabinets and if I don't like the speakers then I'll start looking at making changes. But I would probably look at the quality of the components first. I like the LEAP designs I've gotten lately. Not so a few years ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X