My second pair, Lou's Piccolata

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My second pair, Lou's Piccolata

I finally built my second pair of speakers. I decided to build Lou's Piccolata.
    I decided that I wanted to build something different to the statement monitors I have, so two way, paper cone and dome tweeter sounded about right.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-04-21 00.36.43.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	543.5 KB
ID:	1184799

I made a huge amount of mistakes on this build and they still sound great. They produce a lot of bass, a lot more than I expected from a 4 incher and the tweeter is very sweet.
    My Statement monitors
    My Piccolatas
    My LM3886 amp

Re: My second pair, Lou's Piccolata

What is the veneer on the sides? Walnut? Very nice looking.
    Andy.

Comment

Thanks, it is supposed to be paper backed mahogany. I added some red mahogany stain and water based poly. I'll try to get a better pic.
      My Statement monitors
      My Piccolatas
      My LM3886 amp

Comment

nice job. That veneer looks awesome.

Comment

Love that look. I did my grandmother's OS's the opposite, Walnut on the baffle and black ash on the cabinet. Great combo. (I know yours is black and mahogany, just the idea....)

I'd like to hear the piccolata's A-B'ed with the Speedsters.....Lou's designs are fantastic.
          Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Originally posted by joeybutts View Post
            I'd like to hear the piccolata's A-B'ed with the Speedsters.....Lou's designs are fantastic.
            I've built both Piccolatas and Speedsters. Piccolatas were much more balanced and defined - although Paul Carmody is investigating to see if the newer run of tweeters used in the Speedsters have changed and impacted the Speedsters negatively. Hopefully they have, which would explain the vast difference in performance.

Comment

I also built the Piccolata. A very nice presentation for a smallish bookshelf. Enough bass for most music/rooms/taste, smooth clear mids, nice highs also. Not SPL monsters, but seem comfortable well into the 80's at the listening position in a 19x13 room. Loud enough for me. Most of the time ;-)

Comment

Now I need to finish my chipamp so I can use them in the bedroom. Thanks for the nice comments.

2 more crappy phone pics.
                Attached Files
                My Statement monitors
                My Piccolatas
                My LM3886 amp

Comment

Another crappy pic
                  Attached Files
                  My Statement monitors
                  My Piccolatas
                  My LM3886 amp

Comment

So, these guys were needing a rebuild. I made several mistakes on the boxes (including cutting them too short and ending with a wrong tuning...), and as a second reason, I want a pair of boxes with removable baffles to try and learn a bit using other tweeters.
                    Also I wanted to try and build a box with miters... Not that successful...

I will be veneering the sides and top with raw walnut.
                    My Statement monitors
                    My Piccolatas
                    My LM3886 amp

Comment

Miters look pretty good from here. Did you cut them on a table saw or miter saw? Looking forward to seeing your veneer

Comment

Thanks, but they needed some filling. good thing I did not veneer first as I planed originally.
                        I cut them in a table saw (DW745), one of them is already veneered and with one coat of water based poly on one side and top. I'll take pics when I get home.
                        My Statement monitors
                        My Piccolatas
                        My LM3886 amp

Comment

Here it is:
                          My Statement monitors
                          My Piccolatas
                          My LM3886 amp

Comment

Looks great, man - nice grain alignment around the corner.

I've been frustrated with a few of my builds showing b u t t - joint seams through the veneer over time as the wood moves a bit. Maybe i'll try a miter build, as it seems to avoid the issue for sides and top (no pun intended ;))

Comment

Originally posted by lowpolyjoe View Post
                              Looks great, man - nice grain alignment around the corner.
                              Thanks! My wife helped me to align them. One is close where I want it, the other just veneered:

My Statement monitors
                              My Piccolatas
                              My LM3886 amp

Comment

Working...
                              X