Announcement

Collapse

Midwest Audio Fest

It’s that time audio enthusiasts! Registration for the 2019 Speaker Design Competition is now open! Visit midwestaudiofest.com for details and to list your speaker project. We are excited to see all returning participants, and look forward to meeting some new designers this year, as well! Be sure your plans include a visit to the Parts Express Tent Sale for the lowest prices of the year, and the Audio Swap Meet where you can buy and trade with other audio fans. We hope to see you this summer! Vivian and Jill
See more
See less

My second pair, Lou's Piccolata

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silver1omo
    started a topic My second pair, Lou's Piccolata

My second pair, Lou's Piccolata

I finally built my second pair of speakers. I decided to build Lou's Piccolata.
    I decided that I wanted to build something different to the statement monitors I have, so two way, paper cone and dome tweeter sounded about right.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-04-21 00.36.43.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	543.5 KB
ID:	1184799

I made a huge amount of mistakes on this build and they still sound great. They produce a lot of bass, a lot more than I expected from a 4 incher and the tweeter is very sweet.

• ernperkins
    replied
    I bet Lou is smiling from above. Great work!

Leave a comment:

• Silver1omo
    replied
    Thanks! the veneer "strip" was very flat so I just cut the appropriate lengths and prepped the cab (a lot of sanding).
    Cut pieces of 1/2" MDF (what I had on hand, would preferred 3/4") with just a bit of overhang (~5mm per side).
    Apply glue to the cab with a foam roller (one side at a time), align the veneer, here an extra pair of hands help a lot, then carefully put the MDF layer and a couple cauls (here I just used strips of 1/2" MDF) to spread the pressure and clamp the hell of it.
    Trim the veneer with an exacto knife and then sand flat, rinse and repeat.

I did the sides first and the top at the end, the bottom is painted.

Leave a comment:

• dustinbagby
    replied
    These are beautiful. I am a sucker for the dark cabs/light baffle combo.

Your veneer job is amazing. I use paperbacked and can never quite get my edges as clean as id like them. I am too scared to use raw wood (I dont know a think about flattening it, and dont have the necessary tools). What process did you use?

Leave a comment:

• Silver1omo
    replied
    Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Kevin K.
    replied
    Super Nice! The matching amp makes the whole system look refined and sophisticated.

Leave a comment:

• isaeagle4031
    replied
    Wowza! Nice work man!

Leave a comment:

• Silver1omo
    replied
    Just realized that I did not update this thread...
    So, quick phone pics:

Leave a comment:

• Silver1omo
    replied
    Re: My second pair, Lou's Piccolata

Getting close.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1433901681136.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	254.0 KB
ID:	1166946

Leave a comment:

• Silver1omo
    replied

Good question... The horizontal lines should be enough, and that is what I'm doing in the second baffle, but I guess that the entire circles give an idea of completeness, or something...

Originally posted by dcibel View Post
    These look to be coming along very nicely. I'm just nitpicking here, but I've always wondered why some people draw circular outlines for their speaker holes. Is it just to visualize the layout? I've always drawn straight lines horizontally on the top and bottom of the driver, then draw an X accross it to mark the centre point, which seems easier to me. Again, I'm just speaking out loud here, not saying you're doing anything wrong, just curious.

Leave a comment:

• dcibel
    replied

Originally posted by Silver1omo View Post
    Laying out the baffle.
    [ATTACH]57869[/ATTACH]
    These look to be coming along very nicely. I'm just nitpicking here, but I've always wondered why some people draw circular outlines for their speaker holes. Is it just to visualize the layout? I've always drawn straight lines horizontally on the top and bottom of the driver, then draw an X accross it to mark the centre point, which seems easier to me. Again, I'm just speaking out loud here, not saying you're doing anything wrong, just curious.

Leave a comment:

• Silver1omo
    replied

Originally posted by Mike b View Post
    These look very nice.
    Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Mike b
    replied

These look very nice.

Leave a comment:

• Silver1omo
    replied

Got the idea of matching the face of the amp...

Leave a comment:

• JasonP
    replied

Wait another baffle? What happened to the other one? It was looking pretty nice

Leave a comment:

Working...
X