Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Galeons - SB13 MTM

Originally posted by jonlem View Post
    Wow, might have to skip my Maurbacs build and go for these, hard to keep up lol. That low end extension is very attractive considering the same size foot print as the Maurbacs. Don, what are your thoughts in comparing the 2 speaker designs? I am looking for a set of garage speaker....

The Maurbacs are more efficient, and will play louder. The Galeons are more refined, detailed, and will play deeper. Between the two, I'd
    recommend the Maurbacs for the garage.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
    "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
    SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
    My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Originally posted by scottsehlin View Post
      Nice work Don, This looks like a high-value, well-executed design with a thorough design write-up. I would be curious to hear them. I did a project a long time ago with some Def Tech buyout 5.25" woofers that helped give me a healthy appreciation for what a good paper cone driver can do in the mids.

thanks so much Scott - I feel I get a bit better with each build.

"As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
        I echo Scott's sentiments on this project, and would like to point out one of the advantages of an MTM with slightly shallower slopes - that off-axis in the horizontal performance is very nice, indeed.

FYI: I would have probably voiced mine closer to the surface mount curve

I knew someone would like that BBC voicing! The horizontal axis performance was a bit of a surprise, and undoubtedly contributes
        to the wide soundstage image.

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Eventually you'll have to do a shootout with your Targas.

Comment

Originally posted by ontariomaximus View Post
            Eventually you'll have to do a shootout with your Targas.
            Yep - of course that's coming. Too bad there isn't a $25 level-compensated speaker switcher.

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Nice to see all these DCR's showing up, thought I would be the only crazy one to try this. :p

Very nice build :applause:
              If we all reacted the same way, we'd be predictable, and there's always more than one way to view a situation.
              What's true for the group is also true for the individual. It's simple: Overspecialize, and you breed in weakness.
              It's slow death.

//Burn n' Die//Dream Weaver//Maximus//ABC Bookshelf Speakers//Dayton Twin Towers

Comment

That's some nice looking plywood Don. And good looking work too. Although I'm not totally sure what I'm looking at. I'm sure I'd enjoy a listen if I had a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper Tom View Post
                  Nice to see all these DCR's showing up, thought I would be the only crazy one to try this. :p

Very nice build :applause:
                  Thanks Tom - I am really digging the DCR. Most of the advantages of a TL with the ease of a normal bass reflex alignment.

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Originally posted by wdwrkr View Post
                    That's some nice looking plywood Don. And good looking work too. Although I'm not totally sure what I'm looking at. I'm sure I'd enjoy a listen if I had a chance.
                    Thanks dude - well, they are in Atlanta.....
                    Lots of folks expressed interest in the SB13s, so I'm sure we'll see various builds as they are completed.

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Looks nice Don, very sensible XO design.

You mention -3dB at 35 and splicing, was that a near field measurement
                      for the low bass?

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Basel View Post
                        Looks nice Don, very sensible XO design.

You mention -3dB at 35 and splicing, was that a near field measurement
                        for the low bass?
                        Yah, used Omnimic at 1 meter, then nearfield measurements of the woofer, and each port, then spliced together
                        (Think I did it correctly....)

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Another great build Don

Just wondered why your 3-way failed? I'm only asking because i'm thinking of doing a 3-way myself but don't know whether to risk it or not.

Comment

Originally posted by fatmarley View Post
                            Another great build Don

Just wondered why your 3-way failed? I'm only asking because i'm thinking of doing a 3-way myself but don't know whether to risk it or not.
                            Thanks buddy -
                            My three way "failed" or is "on hold" because I was trying to build a small 3 way (15 liters), and found that the
                            midrange enclosure was causing a bit of + - 2dB wiggles in a critical area. I'd need to probably
                            destroy the boxes and baffles and start over, so I shelved them and moved on for now.

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Originally posted by donradick View Post
                              Thanks buddy -
                              My three way "failed" or is "on hold" because I was trying to build a small 3 way (15 liters), and found that the
                              midrange enclosure was causing a bit of + - 2dB wiggles in a critical area. I'd need to probably
                              destroy the boxes and baffles and start over, so I shelved them and moved on for now.
                              Oh, I see. Cheers Don

Comment

Don, another nice build. Are coming to Iron Driver if the SB wins?
                                Kenny

http://www.diy-ny.com/
                                DIY NY/NJ 2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGwA...ature=youtu.be
                                Man does not live by measurements alone, a little music helps.

Comment

Working...
                                X