First Project - Cabrini

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: First Project - Cabrini

Here are the Finished speakers. I am impressed with the sound overall especially coming from such a low cost design. They are a little rough at higher volumes and the tweeter can be quite harsh when played loud as well. But, what can you expect from something that isn't all that expensive. All in all though they are a great first pair of speakers to build and I learned a ton from building them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	speaker.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	1150985

Comment

They are a little rough at higher volumes and the tweeter can be quite harsh when played loud as well
      Could be the amp. That lepai has distortion issues if the knob is past 12 o'clock.

Comment

Originally posted by bcdaffin View Post
        Could be the amp. That lepai has distortion issues if the knob is past 12 o'clock.
        Or it could be the tweeters. Those 3x7s piexos are an odd bunch. Large, but sensitivity is lower than that of the 2x5 piezos from the same manufacturer. they respond very well to some simple mods, but unfortunately nothing can be done about the sensitivity.

Maybe there's an opportunity here for a "Calibri II" based around the 2x5 piezo? I'll bet that it will sound a bit better, and the smaller form-factor will allow for a cabinet with a narrower baffle.
        Brian Steele
        www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

I'll have to try them with a better amp that a friend has. I am saving up for a really nice home theater amp after selling my system a year ago.

If the Piezo was switched from the 3x7 to the 2x5 how would that change the crossover? Being new to the speaker building process I don't understand how to make my own crossovers... I do know how to read them now though! So I guess that is progress.

Would someone be able to help me with a smaller version of the Cabrini (Cabrini-mini maybe?) built around the same Mid/woofer but with the 2x5 piezo? It would be interesting to see how much smaller the cabinet could be made with the smaller piezo.

Comment

Originally posted by badger View Post
            I'll have to try them with a better amp that a friend has. I am saving up for a really nice home theater amp after selling my system a year ago.

If the Piezo was switched from the 3x7 to the 2x5 how would that change the crossover?
            The GW 2x5 does not exted much below around 3.5kHz so some crossover mods will definitely be required. It's difficult to say what those mods will have to be without actual measurements however.

The cabinet volume is set by the choice of woofer. The use of the 2x5 piezo will allow you to use a narrower front baffle, but the height and depth of the cabinet will have to be adjusted to maintain the same internal volume.
            Brian Steele
            www.diysubwoofers.org

Comment

I'll have to look into the changes after I finish the next project that I started this past weekend. It could be a fun way that isn't real expensive to change a current design and learn some new skills.

Comment

The finish you put on them is real nice, good work Sir.

Comment

Thank you, I got the idea from another person's build. It is 2 coats of primer followed with 3 coats of stone spray paint and one coat of clear coat.

Comment

The woofer is running into the low 3K region on this design, it probably wouldn't be much of a stretch to integrate a different piezo into it. As far as what type of network to use on the different piezo, I would leave that up to whomever is doing the re-work.

Before going that route, there are a couple of things you can do to "fix" the Goldwood as well. If you look down the throat, there is almost always flashing from the mold process leftover. This is very detrimental to the response curve. They can be disassembled rather easy with several screws on the backside, and while you are at it you can wad up a cotton ball and stick it behind the piezo element.

I realized a very noticeable improvement to the SQ doing those two things, I did not include them in my original writeup due to the nature of the project and its intended audience. It is well worth a try!

Glad you like them, and it looks like they served their purpose... You are hooked
                    Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Thanks! I'll have to give both fixes a try after I finish the next pair.

I definitely am hooked on speaker building. After I get a couple of builds under my belt I'll have to try my hand at creating my own designs. I really appreciate all the feedback/help from everyone.

Comment

Well Badger, after 20 years of dinking around in this hobby, I can safely say it is by far the best time get involved in it. When you make the transition to design work, you will find the feedback and help even more intense and encouraging. Welcome to our madness, we are glad to have you with us.

Comment

I finally got around to hooking these up to a nicer receiver and they sound A LOT better. Comparing these to a pair of overnight sensations I built the Cabrini sound pretty darn good, especially for the money.

I am starting to work on an MTM version of the speaker using two of the GRS woofers and a goldwood horn. Seeing as how I am broke, I think doing a very affordable MTM for center channel use should be fun. If it doesn't turn out all that great at least it isn't an expensive project. I chatted with Johnny a bit about tweaking the XO for an MTM and this is what came out of it. (If I goofed anything up on my drawing my bad Johnny).

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130917_223553_990.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	409.4 KB
ID:	1152851

Comment

Schematic looks fine, but I think a 8.2, not 82 ohm resistor would be better ;)

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
                              Schematic looks fine, but I think a 8.2, not 82 ohm resistor would be better ;)
                              Thanks! I have an 8.2 in my cart at the moment, lol. Guess I missed the decimal point!

Comment

Great idea! Ive built a couple of the cabrinis and variations of them. Don't know why I didn't think of an MTM version. Duh!.
                                https://www.facebook.com/Mosaic-Audi...7373763888294/

Comment

Working...
                                X