Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Choti HT - A Micro HT speaker using the RS100-4 and ND16FA

Originally posted by ontariomaximus View Post
    measured T/S for the 704D is somewhere on this site, but I can't find them. I did a box sim before with them and I have written down a vented box 1.0ft3 tuned to 49hz for a pair of 704D's though. I remember that looked real nice.

By referring to the Canvas, I used 15 ltrs for single tuned to 50 Hz:

Kerry- the specs are a bit off at times, but measure and apply and you usually get something usable.
    YMMV,
    Wolf
    "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
    "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
    "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
    "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
    http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
    http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by ontariomaximus View Post
      I have 4 Tang Band 704D's that could provide the low end for a Choti build. Anyone want to take a stab at the crossover? 2 x 704D in parallel per speaker, added to the Choti.
      I PM'd you about this a few days ago but haven't gotten a response back from you yet. I modeled something for you and can provide the schematics and driver layout but can't send it via PM. Can you provide me with your email address and I can send it via email.
      -Kerry

Comment

sorry the "notifications" for PM's on this tech talk is very small, and I missed there was a PM. Looking forward to building these. Listening to a custom version of the Tiny TiMMS right now with the RS100 - like that driver a lot.

Comment

I've finally built a second pair for myself using the current crossover. I've updated the orginal post with new listening impressions and can say it is an improvement overall.
          -Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by Navy Guy View Post
            So overall, thank Wolf for pointing out the original error and turning this into a better sounding design in the end.
            You are very welcome!
            Later,
            Wolf
            "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
            "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
            "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
            http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Kerry,

I saw that you redid the crossover. Will this parts list work as I could not find some of the values listed in the crossover: Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_choti_cart.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	1159605

Kevin
              Shaken, not stirred...

Classix II
              OS MTM's
              Digger 8 sub
              Overnight Sensations Center Channel
              Sprite Build
              Wolf's PC Speakers
              Minions III with Voxel Sub

Comment

Choti HT - A Micro HT speaker using the RS100-4 and ND16FA

A couple of your values are wrong. It should be a .8mh (instead of .08mh) inductor and a .15uf (instead of 15uf). You can parallel the caps you have listed to get 7.8uf or use an 8.0uf in its place. Also, if you are planning on using these away from the wall, you might want to add another ohm or two of padding.
                -Kerry

Comment

Just had a chance to swap in an RS100P-4 and do a side-by-side comparison.

My ears are not the greatest so my personal impression is perhaps of little value. I listened to a few critical listening tracks and find it hard to tell any difference between the two. If I had to pick between the two I'd take the RS100. I felt like there was a slightly warmer sound... maybe I'm hearing the slightly muted upper midrange of the aluminum vs the paper as seen in the measurements. The "P" cone material is very nice looking but I must admit I prefer the shinny look of the RS100.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 2014-11-26 19 39 04.jpg
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	1162382

Name:	Photo 2014-11-26 19 40 05.jpg
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	1162383

Name:	Photo 2014-11-26 20 24 37.jpg
Size:	880.3 KB
ID:	1162384

Name:	Photo 2014-11-26 20 24 46.jpg
Size:	913.5 KB
ID:	1162385

Name:	Photo 2014-11-26 20 24 53.jpg
Size:	876.4 KB
ID:	1162386

Comment

Measurements taken about 1M away approximately on tweeter axis. Rear of the speakers were about 1ft from the back wall. I maintained the same volume and used the same placement for each speaker. Most notable difference is a slightly raised midrange overall with the RS100P.

There is also an odd anomaly between 7k-8k. The cabinets are mirror images of eachother with the tweeter offset changing between the two. Maybe one measurement was slightly more 'on axis' than the other? I dunno. Probably not relevant to the woofer comparison unless the design has a dip there (I don't recall) and the RS100P has a huge breakup peak in that exact spot? I don't see an HD spike there

Name:	FR_RS100_vs_RS100P_0Degs_1_24.jpg
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	1162387

RS100P has a bit more distortion in the high bass area and a tiny bit less in part of the midrange... but they're pretty close.

Name:	HD_2to5_RS100_0Degs_1_24.jpg
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	1162388

Name:	HD_2to5_RS100P_0Degs_1_24.jpg
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	1162389

Comment

Very interesting results. I thought the rs100p was a little more sensitive but they measure almost identical. I'm also surprised to hear that the metal come sounds warmer, as this goes against what most people's assumptions of paper drivers tends to be. It looks like there might be just a hair more sensitivity in the 500-1000hz range on the paper version, which would probably make the metal sound a tad warmer.
                      -Kerry

Comment

Choti HT - A Micro HT speaker using the RS100-4 and ND16FA

Double post
                        -Kerry

Comment

Originally posted by Navy Guy View Post
                          I'm also surprised to hear that the metal come sounds warmer, as this goes against what most people's assumptions of paper drivers tends to be.
                          Indeed - i was expecting the opposite. Maybe things would change after a break-in period.

Comment

Have there been any other changes to the crossover since the 1st revision? Also, have you tested or use the RS100Ps in another build?

Comment

Originally posted by iLovPieNCake View Post
                              Have there been any other changes to the crossover since the 1st revision? Also, have you tested or use the RS100Ps in another build?
                              No, nothing has been changed since then. I have not tried the RS100P in any build yet but it should work ok in place of the RS100. I'd have to take a look at the specs on both, but my guess is you'll get a little more sensitivity from the P version but a little less bass extension as well.
                              -Kerry

Comment

Thanks, I will be building a set of these soon and I am excited to hear how they will sound.
                                ​​​​

Comment

Working...
                                X