Wolf's PC, Sprite, and Voxel Subwoofer 2.1's in Walnut

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wolf's PC, Sprite, and Voxel Subwoofer 2.1's in Walnut

I was able to make a little sawdust the last couple afternoons. Ive decided to plane some of my material down to 1/2 inch to use for the backs. They will be countersunk into a rabbeted edge. That will be my goal for tomorrow!!!

Progress to date!......

I cut the pieces I am using for baffles a tad oversize. After glue up I will use a flush trim bit to match them to the cabinets.

Setting up the Jasper Jig for the through hole. Ive used painters tape and a pencil to mark the correct 3-1/8" hole.

The through holes dressed at the spindle sander.....

I used the router table with a chamfer bit to chamfer the inner side of the baffle to allow the NS3 to breathe. I'll be mounting the drivers with wood screws so no worries about the bevel on the backside.

With a straight bit, I notched for the speaker terminals.

Next, I glued up the cabinets. It's a lot of squeeze out, but it will clean up fine!

With the glue dried on the exterior of one of the boxes, I used the belt sander to smooth off the boxjoints.

A closer look.... I sure am pleased with how the box joints turned out!

Maybe a dumb question, but on these caps......does it matter which end goes to the amp or which end goes to the speaker? Also....if anyone has used the AURA NS3 on a build, what did you do to seal it to the baffle?
    Thanks,
    Jeff

Projects:

"Overnight Sensations" Build Thread
    Wolf's "PC", plus Paul Carmody's - "Sprites", and "Voxel" subwoofer 2.1 micro systems - Build Thread

Comment

I purchased a sheet of black craft foam from wally world and cut a 3" hole to accommodate the driver, then after mounting the speaker I codes an x-acto knife to trim it clean. Worked like a charm

Comment

Looking good Jeff! Keep the updates rolling.
        See my projects on Instagram and Facebook

Comment

Awesome! I have some real wood that has been cut for boxes, I'm kind of scared to actually glue it together, though, haha! One day I'll get the gumption to do it

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
          return to the source
          leviathan system thread
          deadhorse thread
          shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Jeff View Post
            Maybe a dumb question, but on these caps......does it matter which end goes to the amp or which end goes to the speaker? Also....if anyone has used the AURA NS3 on a build, what did you do to seal it to the baffle?
            The caps are not directional.

I used some black silicone from Permatex. If you use the 'adhesive' type, just a finger-rub around the perimeter before mounting should make a nice gasket. If you use more than that very thin layer the driver might not ever be removed safely. Just rub off the excess after mounted.

Later,
            Wolf
            "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
            "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
            "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
            "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
            http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
            http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by dustinbagby View Post
              I purchased a sheet of black craft foam from wally world and cut a 3" hole to accommodate the driver, then after mounting the speaker I codes an x-acto knife to trim it clean. Worked like a charm
              This is how Jim Griffin sealed the Aura's in the MTM-MLTL he built with the TN25- easy, cheap, and effective.

Later,
              Wolf
              "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
              "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
              "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
              "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
              http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
              http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by dustinbagby View Post
                I have some of that on hand. I used it to make gaskets to seal the remove able backs on my overnight sensation build.
                Thanks,
                Jeff

Projects:

Wolf's "PC", plus Paul Carmody's - "Sprites", and "Voxel" subwoofer 2.1 micro systems - Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by greywarden View Post
                  Awesome! I have some real wood that has been cut for boxes, I'm kind of scared to actually glue it together, though, haha! One day I'll get the gumption to do it

it's just wood!

Put it to work!
                  Thanks,
                  Jeff

Projects:

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post

I used some black silicone from Permatex. If you use the 'adhesive' type, just a finger-rub around the perimeter before mounting should make a nice gasket. If you use more than that very thin layer the driver might not ever be removed safely. Just rub off the excess after mounted.

Later,
                    Wolf
                    This is pretty much the way I was leaning. I hadn't thought about finding it in black though.

There was a speaker builder in my hometown, who back in the 80s began doing automotive audio woofers in PVC pipe. He paired these with component speakers and crossovers. The woofers were glued to the PVC. We made the quantum leap from Jensen triaxles to that!

He later sold out to "bazooka".
                    Thanks,
                    Jeff

Projects:

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf View Post

Once again, thank you for using an ITW product, thus helping to feed my family. :D
                      Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?

Paul Carmody's DIY Audio Projects
                      Twitter: @undefinition1

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Carmody View Post
                        Once again, thank you for using an ITW product, thus helping to feed my family. :D
                        Oh cool. I work at Advance Auto Parts and we push Permatex stuff all day long

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
                        return to the source
                        leviathan system thread
                        deadhorse thread
                        shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Today I was able to make really good progress. Aside from what's pictured below, I took time to get to the hardware store for the remaining screws I needed to mount drivers and rear panels.

- I started by selecting a piece of lumber to mill down to 1/2" thickness to be used for the rear panels.

-Next, I sanded all the glue off that had squeezed out. I also sanded the joints flush. I had made the finger joints proud by about 1/64" to ensure they could be sanded flush.

-Next to the router table and a 1/2" roundover bit to radius the finger joints.

-I was concerned about tear out where the bit exited so I used a scrap board to back up the cut and act as a zero clearance device.

- The rounded over finger joints are going to look great!!!

- I switched to a rabbeting bit to rabbet the rear of the cabinets for a flush mount rear panel.

-All four cabinets...

- After ripping and crosscutting the rear panels to size, I marked the corner radius and cut near the marked line at the bandsaw.

-I used the belt sander to "sneak up" on my radius marks until the panels fit perfect in each box.

All in all, I am pleased with today's progress. Tomorrow I hope to drill the mounting holes for the drivers. Glue the front baffles to the boxes. Drill mounting holes in the rear panel and also drill for and install the spring terminal plate. If I get this far, I may heat up the soldering iron and tackle that part also.

Or.....
                          Get started on Sprites and Voxels!:D
                          Thanks,
                          Jeff

Projects:

Comment

I would think you are pleased with the progress! The cabs are really looking great.

Once the finish is on, these will be spectacular. If you're asking, I'd vote for Waterlox (see the Imperials in my sig).

Truly great job Jeff!
                            I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.
                            OS MTMs http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=220388
                            Swope TM http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=221818
                            Econowave and Audio Nirvana AN10 fullrange http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=216841
                            Imperial Russian Stouts http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...=1#post1840444
                            LECBOS. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ghlight=lecbos

Comment

Originally posted by fastbike1 View Post
                              I would think you are pleased with the progress! The cabs are really looking great.

Once the finish is on, these will be spectacular. If you're asking, I'd vote for Waterlox (see the Imperials in my sig).

Truly great job Jeff!
                              Thanks so much. Positive feedback is a great motivator!

Could you just ship those Imperials to me? Just for a closer look? Heh heh

They look great.

The 70"s era Realistics I have here featured an oiled walnut finish. Nothing is in stone yet, but I am leaning towards a simple untinted Danish oil finish. No shine. No sheen. All walnut. All the time.

Thoughts on that???
                              Thanks,
                              Jeff

Projects:

Comment

They are achingly beautiful! I'd even say that was ART!

Comment

Working...
                                X