Minions III and Minions II

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minions III and Minions II

I hope I can make it to one of these events some day. I tend to take my vacation up there usually the last week of June and first week of July though. I'll be hitting the road to drive up to Michigan on the 19th of this month and will be there until roughly July 7th.

I take it that since some people stopped talking and sat down to listen that they didn't fair to badly even in the large room? Did you have a sub playing with them?

Comment

That little 3" tangband played pretty loudly. I think many were surprised at the clarity of it especially without a crossover. We skipped the drum track and there was not a sub playing. It does more than i ever expected out of it for $13.** (i bought 5) so i got the discount.
      My Build Thread's
      Carrera's / Finalist TL's / Speedster TMM's / Speedster MTM Center / Overnight Sensation Surrounds

Comment

I think that I need to build a set of these Minions! I'm concerned about power handling however. According to WinISD, the 1.5mm of xmax is exceeded at just 3 (three) watts of input at 138 hz and down. I would think it easy to pop these without a high pass filter. WinISD says that a 200hz, second order high pass would allow for about 14 watts before xmax is reached at about 170 hz.

Am I over complicating this or should I add a big a__ cap in series? I wasn't planning on an AVR with internal crossover...

Thanks!!

Comment

I don't know how many watts were going through these at the meniscus and indy events but it was at at least 78db at indy and probably 80 at meniscus. They can definitely break up at loud volumes. I think you get a lot more than you would expect out of them but it is still a 3" full range driver. For $30 bucks its a nice little build. My veneer was more than the drivers.
          My Build Thread's
          Carrera's / Finalist TL's / Speedster TMM's / Speedster MTM Center / Overnight Sensation Surrounds

Comment

A series 200uf NPE will give you some excursion protection (6db/octave from 100Hz).
            Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

Comment

Working...
              X