New Speaker Project -- Your Thoughts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Speaker Project -- Your Thoughts?

I'm gearing up for my next speaker project and would like your opinions on the design of the cabinet. I build cabinets better when I can actually see them in the flesh -- I just don't visualize well from drawings. So, I've begun building small models of my plans. That's what the pictures are.

This will be a big old front-loaded design with the basic design in the Altec model 19 and the like. The woofers will be Eminence Delta-15LFAs crossed over at 500 to 700Hz to an Altec 511 horn/802driver with University HF206s as super tweeters. Bass Box Pro shows the ideal cabinet size as 7.75 cu ft with an F3 of 32Hz and performing well into the mid 20s. There will be two 4"x4" ports on the rear panels.

I'll be constructing the box from oak 3/4" plywood with a very dark reddish stain and satin poly. I plan to apply a gold "Altec Lansing" decal under the poly, positioned on either the top or bottom curves. Should look classy.

What I'd like opinions on is the placement of the Altec horn. I like the look of the exposed horn mounted on top of the cabinet, and I've made the front top curve of the cabinet to match the curve of the horn, so it could be mounted in the cab with the University horn just above it. By the way, the horns are all University/Altec green.

(The cabs will be only about 3/4 as deep as the pics indicate. Scale was off here.)
    What do you think?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Altec Speaker Project 002.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	562.7 KB
ID:	1189017Click image for larger version

Name:	Altec Speaker Project 003.JPG
Size:	538.2 KB
ID:	1189018[Click image for larger version

Name:	Altec Speaker Project 001.JPG
Size:	554.1 KB
ID:	1189019

Re: New Speaker Project -- Your Thoughts?

check out 15pr400 as an efficient woofer that can dig deep in a reasonable cab( less than 3^ft). Here is MJK worksheet for 36 tall cab 17 inches wide and ony 10" deep.
    Mathcad - 15PR400.pdf
    Maybe consider something like this.
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...1&d=1147050423

Comment

That will make a nice birdhouse!

Comment

I see this is the Gallery. If you want impressions or opinions on how a build should go, TechTalk forum is likely to get you more hits in terms of replies.
        Maybe that will help,
        Wolf
        "Wolf, you shall now be known as "King of the Zip ties." -Pete00t
        "Wolf and speakers equivalent to Picasso and 'Blue'" -dantheman
        "He is a true ambassador for this forum and speaker DIY in general." -Ed Froste
        "We're all in this together, so keep your stick on the ice!" - Red Green aka Steve Smith

*InDIYana event website*

Photobucket pages:
        http://photobucket.com/Wolf-Speakers_and_more

My blog/writeups/thoughts here at PE:
        http://techtalk.parts-express.com/blog.php?u=4102

Comment

Originally posted by buzzforb View Post
          check out 15pr400 as an efficient woofer that can dig deep in a reasonable cab( less than 3^ft). Here is MJK worksheet for 36 tall cab 17 inches wide and ony 10" deep.
          [ATTACH]46298[/ATTACH]
          Thanks for the suggestion. This is one of those instances where the box width is being determined by the size of the components. Those old Altec horns are around 24 inches wide.

I never thought of using the model as a bird house, but that's a good idea!

GeeDeeEmm

Comment

So, you win, as the larger box will go deeper. The speaker picture I posted is using a 511 horn. Look it up by searching Warsweb 3-way. If you are wondering about the faital pro, it has really nice extension, possibly rivaling the AE td15m.

http://johnkvintageguitars.homestead...R400-RTA-5.jpg

Comment

GDM, nice post - I like the cabinet shape. I would go with the horn exposed since it looks so imposing!!! You can tell it is going to sound big and good just by looking at horn! I like your suggestion re mounting mid inside cabinet with tweeter on top. This will be a heck of a system. Can't wait to see more pics.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzforb View Post
                [ATTACH]46298[/ATTACH]
                Thanks Buzz,
                I could not get the audioheritage reference to load before, but I can see it now. Yep, that's along the line of what I will be doing, except with the different cabinet shape. One can't help but be impressed with the Faital Pro woofers, but they are just WAY outside of the budget that I've set for this build. Thanks again for the reference.

Ken,

Thanks for the compliments. Just to correct a possibly wrong impression I may have given as to the horn locations, if I incorporate the horns into the cabs, the big Altec 511B will be recessed into the enclosure just above the woofer on the semi-round protrusion. The small University super tweeter would be located just above that, also incorporated into the enclosure. But, i think I'll go with my first inclination: I'm almost certain to locate the super tweeter into the protrusion just above the woofer, and mount the big Altec on top of the box. I want to look at it!
                GeeDeeEmm

Comment

Hmmm. Ran across this old post of mine from four years ago when I was still tossing around ideas on what to do with my Altec components. I still like that little "bird house" model I made, but what I eventually ended up with was quite different. I think I like these better. *GeeDeeEmm

Comment

Working...
                  X