The Canzonettas - Quick and Easy 2-way RS100P-8 and ND16FA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Canzonettas - Quick and Easy 2-way RS100P-8 and ND16FA

Those are really neat looking speakers Ty! Really cool to hear the impressions of the RS100P's too.

You are making me feel guilty for not having touched mine in weeks......

Comment

Here's some shots of the finished speakers. I finished them with two coats of dark walnut Danish oil. I also spray painted the inside of the port tube with a flat black to better match the overall look. Super simple and effective - just like the project goals. Enjoy!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399824752.955606.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	289.9 KB
ID:	1157989

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399824799.221507.jpg
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	1157990

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399824815.721469.jpg
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	1157991

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399824826.388326.jpg
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	1157992

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399824834.988036.jpg
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	1157993
      DARPA Jr - 2015 InDIYana Winner - RS180-8 + RS100P-8 + ND25FA
      The Aria's - RS150-4 (or RS150-8) + XT25SC90
      The Mariposa's - TEBM65C20F-8 + ND16FA
      The Canzonetta's - RS100P-8 and ND16FA
      AudioSource AMP-100 Mods OR Pyle PAMP1000 Mods

Comment

Nice Job!

Comment

Very nice! Quick clean build!
          Builds - C-Killa - Speedsters - LithMTM - Talking Sticks - Pocket Rockets - Khanspires - Dayton RS Center - RS225/28A - Kairos - Adelphos - SEOS TD12X - Dayton 8 - Needles - 871S - eD6c - Overnight Sensations - Tritrix (ported) - Lineup F4 - Stentorians - The Cheapies - Tub Thumpers - Barbells - Tuba HT - Numerous subwoofers - probably missing a few...... :p

Comment

Diggin up this thread because I gave these to my in-laws for Christmas. They have a huge den with 35-foot cathedral ceilings and weird shapes all over. Ever since they moved in, they haven't been able to understand their TV very well.

Basically, there's quite a bit of reflections and cancellations based on where the TV is in the room, but most of all the TV speakers inside the 42" sammy plasma just couldn't fill the room.

I decided to part with an old Denon AVR that was sitting dormant in my office and my Canzonettas as a Christmas present for them. When I got to the house, I was quite blown away by the size of the room and wished I had brought some bigger speakers to give them. I hooked everything up, not having any real hopes that the Canzonettas could do the job.

Much to my pleasant surprise, the Denon hooked up nicely and actually identified them as "large" speakers :eek:. They filled the room nicely and sounded fantastic. They can pump out quite a bit more volume with much less distortion than the TV speakers, making the dialogue and music much easier to understand. I tied everything together with a Harmony remote for them and hopefully they'll be happy for a few more years.

Overall - I just wanted to say that these little guys punched way above their weight class. They filled a large room nicely (without a subwoofer) and make some great 2-channel TV speakers. Just another use that these guys are good for.

Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by tyger23 View Post
              Still listening, but I'm stoked to use these RS100P's as a midrange in a 3 way. Somewhere between about 300 and 2000, and they're probably going to be butter.
              Yes. This.

Build is looking great man.
              Audio: Media PC -> Sabre ESS 9023 DAC -> Behringer EP2500 -> (insert speakers of the moment)
              Sites: Jupiter Audioworks - Flicker Stream - FRD Consortium Archive - Proud Member of Midwest Audio Club

Comment

Thanks for sharing Tigger , nice build ! i missed this originally posted last spring.
                I also used my chop saw and a router to build using somewhat similar material from Lowe's this summer with the Vifa TC9 and ND-16 in .19 cu. ft. boxes for the tv just to see if it would work out. Like you I am surprised by the good sound out of these small speakers.

Comment

These look like they'll be just the right size for where I'd like to add some tunes. I see some of the crossover components you selected were listed as out of stock, I just went to the same website and they're still listed that way. Where they able to turn things around in a short period of time or did you have to wait a while to receive parts? If the latter, I'll poke around a few other vendor websites. Thanks!

Comment

Just a belated comment (sorry it's so late), but when (IF) you get measurements, like those on your tweeter, that show the response dropping (rolling off) as you run below it's Fs, you can assume that it'll KEEP dropping (maybe -12dB/oct?) all the way down to 20Hz, and you can and should correct your .frd file to reflect that. In the real world, the driver's response will not start climbing back up again in the lowest octaves.

I THINK this is known as the "tail".

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Roemer View Post
                      Just a belated comment (sorry it's so late), but when (IF) you get measurements, like those on your tweeter, that show the response dropping (rolling off) as you run below it's Fs, you can assume that it'll KEEP dropping (maybe -12dB/oct?) all the way down to 20Hz, and you can and should correct your .frd file to reflect that. In the real world, the driver's response will not start climbing back up again in the lowest octaves.

I THINK this is known as the "tail".
                      The measurements posted are actually the final measurements (post crossover and post build). I hadn't even noticed the rising response in the tweeter - it just didn't even register to me for some reason. That response "rising up" in the bass frequencies is actually the microphone picking up external noises while the MLS measurement is occurring. Once the mic actually "centers" onto the tweeter, you can tell that the proper measurement is reflected.

You are correct that I should have deleted this "tail" manually.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonP View Post
                        Yes. This.

Build is looking great man.

Hi, nice little TM!

Have you looked more into trying the rs100p as the midrange in a 3way?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by JeanM View Post
                          Hi, nice little TM!

Have you looked more into trying the rs100p as the midrange in a 3way?

Thanks!
                          Yes. More details about that will emerge in about 2 weeks or so.

Comment

Great!

Comment

sorry to bump a 2 year old thread but these look super cool and wonder if the MTM verions ever realized

Comment

Originally posted by mmu7 View Post

sorry to bump a 2 year old thread but these look super cool and wonder if the MTM verions ever realized
                                I never did an MTM. I did do a 3-way with the RS100P. The 3-way was the Darpa JR design that won InDIYana 2015. I wish I could give you a link to the DARPA design, but the Parts Express writeup link won't work.

Comment

Working...
                                X