Leviathan System

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leviathan System

I've been working on these for about a year. After building the deadhorse speakers which were a huge learning experience (that ended sadly). I realized one day while listening to Johnny Richards' Le Singe Sarcophage (LSS, "Monkey Coffin") speakers out by the pool, powered by my new Crown XLS1500 that A) I enjoyed lots of power and B) I didn't really care for the ultra-flat frequency response with steep crossovers that weren't really ideal (part of the learning experience). So I set out to build something big and loud and fun to listen to. It started out as a wild idea with drivers in my cart and asking around about high-efficiency, cheap tweeters. Then ended up a year-long journey that I still haven't quite finished, but I'm finished building, so I'll post some pictures and do a few updates of the fully active setup and then the eventual passive crossover design.

The drivers are GRS 8PR-8 8" Poly cone woofers, GRS 5SBM-8 5" Sealed-back midranges, Vifa BC25SC06-04 horn-loaded tweeters and finally a pair of 12" Resonant Engineering REX subwoofers.

The subwoofers were originally meant to accompany the deadhorse speakers and the enclosures were CNC cut by Tom (takitaj) and were absolutely awesome. I can't recommend him enough. They are high Qtc meant for a Linkwitz Transform supplied by MiniDSP processing. They are pretty darn flat, here's an in-room measurement and some pictures of the build:

Flat Response to 15Hz

CNC Subwoofer Box Build 1

CNC Subwoofer Box Build 2

CNC Subwoofer Box Build 3

... And they stayed like that for a few months until I had parts for the towers and started building them. They are 49" tall, 9.75" wide, and 13" deep or so and the woofers required much more space than that, so it's a fairly high Qtc alignment, which is fine, because they're big and loud and have a big booty now. I had a lot of feedback from various forum members during this period, namely Johnny Richards, Mike Zisserson, Lowell (Arlis), Rene (that Canadian guy), Scott Quick and Mike Jennens - Thanks again y'all ("you all" for yous guys way up Nawth). Here are some pictures that show how beastly they were built:

Tower build 1 (Subwoofer enclosure cameo)

Tower build 2 (Part Deux: moved to Jacksonville)

Tower build 3 (filling the seams)

Tower build 4 (router bites OMNOMNOM)

Tower build 5 (black eyes: Alabama French Kisses)

Tower build 6 (paint: WTF they're blue! "Mystic Black" paint)

And they sat for a few months because of work, school, reserve duty and being broke. I eventually got some time off from the aforementioned distractions and got some work done on them. After many days of toiling like Atreyu and Artax in the Swamp of Soldering and Crimping, I buttoned them up, fingertips looking like raw beef.

I got them all connected up with MiniDSP power and three Audiosource Amp 100 amplifiers and a Crown XLS1500 (would buy three more if I could afford it) and snapped some pictures.

Finished 1

Finished 2

Finished 3

Finished 4

Finished 5

This was fun and I'd do it only slightly differently, but again nonetheless, my room mate is even excited about them, haha. Tomorrow I should have a cable in that I'm missing and I'll be doing sweeps (wooOO00P!) and maybe even implementing some active filters I developed with the crappy measurements I made and Charlie Laub's ACD 2.0 (awesome stuff) along with some help from Johnny and DLR's WinPCD (more awesome stuff) to eventually figure out a passive crossover.

Enjoy!

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
    return to the source
    leviathan system thread
    deadhorse thread
    shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Re: Leviathan System

This is one beautiful build.
    Kenny

http://www.diy-ny.com/
    DIY NY/NJ 2014 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGwA...ature=youtu.be
    Man does not live by measurements alone, a little music helps.

Comment

Wow...that's really a great looking system. You have some interesting drivers for the mini-dsp to knock into submission. I'm interested to know the final XO points and slopes on the dsp.

I know you're not keeping those subs on top of each other like that. At the very least you must have a couple modes to tame with better sub placement.

Do your neighbors hate you yet? They will.
      Bryan K.

Midwest Audio Club

Speedster | Sub Attachť | The Wildeman | Sean's NLA Towers | CO‹GAR, COUGAR II and CO‹GAR JR | Triton | Lithium | J-Boom | Trym MLTL | Docere MLTL

Comment

Very nice. Definitely picked the right name
        I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.
        OS MTMs http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=220388
        Swope TM http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=221818
        Econowave and Audio Nirvana AN10 fullrange http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...d.php?t=216841
        Imperial Russian Stouts http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...=1#post1840444
        LECBOS. http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...ghlight=lecbos

Comment

Originally posted by kenny_k View Post
          This is one beautiful build.
          Thanks man!

Originally posted by bkeane1259 View Post
          Wow...that's really a great looking system. You have some interesting drivers for the mini-dsp to knock into submission. I'm interested to know the final XO points and slopes on the dsp.

I know you're not keeping those subs on top of each other like that. At the very least you must have a couple modes to tame with better sub placement.

Do your neighbors hate you yet? They will.
          Ahhh Sorry I forgot to mention you! [Edited] I would love to be able to put one of the subs elsewhere, but our living room is tiny and awkwardly shaped. I could turn the top one 90 degrees, but that's about it. I'll flatten the subs out with the MiniDSP and run Audyssey on the system as well.

Originally posted by fastbike1 View Post
          Very nice. Definitely picked the right name
          Yes I did, these things are heavy as hell, thanks!

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
          return to the source
          leviathan system thread
          deadhorse thread
          shockwave build thread

Comment

My current project has been to make my system less "in-your-face."

So we're at polar opposites.

LOL, I like what you've got quite a bit more (than what I've done).

Enjoy!

P.S. What did you use for paint?

Comment

Very impressive, I have really enjoyed watching this one unfold from the beginning.
              Don't listen to me - I have not sold any $150,000 speakers.

Comment

Damn! Perfect for the man cave. Nothing like high-output.

I think I hear a difference - wow, it's amazing!" Ethan Winer: audio myths
                "As God is my witness I'll never be without a good pair of speakers!" Scarlett O'Hara

High value, high quality RS150/TB28-537SH bookshelf - TARGAS NLA!
                SB13/Vifa BC25SC06 MTM DCR Galeons-SB13-MTM
                My Voxel min sub Yet-another-Voxel-build

Tangband W6-sub

Comment

Living the dream!

Comment

Originally posted by philthien View Post
                    My current project has been to make my system less "in-your-face."

So we're at polar opposites.

LOL, I like what you've got quite a bit more (than what I've done).

Enjoy!

P.S. What did you use for paint?
                    Thanks, yes, they're huge and "in your face" especially given the size of the room. I used some stuff called "Restore It" (or something like that) from Lowes. It's for making your deck look better.

I would not use this paint again. It looks nice, rolls on nice and dries in a few hours, but takes a week or so to fully cure (don't set anything on top of it until then!). When you handle the speakers, you can see a "skin print" where your skin has actually come off on them, but oddly enough it's not a very rough texture, which also makes them look terrible when photographed with a flash. Finally it is too soft, I thought it would dry harder because it's made to be tromped on, but there are visible bumps and dings on it, from lightly bumping furniture when moving these enormous speakers around.

Originally posted by johnnyrichards View Post
                    Very impressive, I have really enjoyed watching this one unfold from the beginning.
                    Thanks again for all the help!

Originally posted by donradick View Post
                    Damn! Perfect for the man cave. Nothing like high-output.
                    Yes! My room mate (girl-type) is super excited about them, too, but she's really cool haha. I presume I will have to keep the volume very low from now on haha.

Originally posted by JCSquats View Post
                    Living the dream!
                    Yeah they're pretty ******!

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
                    return to the source
                    leviathan system thread
                    deadhorse thread
                    shockwave build thread

Comment

Cool.

Comment

That's awesome. So your at over 128db just below 15h with 2 12s? Is that at you listening position? If so I'm very impressed.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Thezeek View Post
                          Cool.
                          Thanks!

Originally posted by saabracer23 View Post
                          That's awesome. So your at over 128db just below 15h with 2 12s? Is that at you listening position? If so I'm very impressed.

Dan
                          Man I should cut that off, I tried to calibrate REW and it did some crazy sh*t and yeah - 130dB in my room? I think not.

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
                          return to the source
                          leviathan system thread
                          deadhorse thread
                          shockwave build thread

Comment

I love it!

Comment

Originally posted by ROTECH View Post
                              I love it!
                              Sweet thanks! I finally got them playing movie sounds today, had a Ground Loop to deal with and some feedback from the TV's power supply on top of that. But I ended up wrapping the Ground Loop Isolator in about 10ft of aluminum foil and laying it on the floor as far from the TV as I could get it, haha. Works great!

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
                              return to the source
                              leviathan system thread
                              deadhorse thread
                              shockwave build thread

Comment

Working...
                              X