2nd Boom Box Project - "The Roxster"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd Boom Box Project - "The Roxster"

I think it is safe to say I like Paul's designs. Paul thank you for sharing and documenting your work. After making 2 cabinets based off of the OSs i thought I would try my hand at the Sprite. After posting pics of one of my builds a friend of mine suggested that I build a cabinet that that looks like a guitar amp. Since it would need to be smaller and portable the Spites were the perfect candidate.

I did not know the first thing about how to build a box that would mlmic a guitar amp, so I took a trip to the local guitar center and did some research. My big concern was the outer covering and how to wrap it around the box and how to mitigate the seams. In my 12v audio days, we would only cover the side of the box that were seen. After careful study and a few youtube videos on how to cover an enclosure in Tolex. I would also have to make my own crossovers. A task where I had used pre made boards before. Luckily the Sprite crossovers only have 2 components.

I have about 25 hours just in the design of the box. There is a lot of stuff that goes into it. It took some time to get the correct proportions, fit everything in, as well as maintain the correct volume. Before I build anything I spend hours in front of Visio building everything to scale to ensure all the parts will fit. These give me blueprints per say to work from as I build. There are detailed down to where I drill holes and depth of a routed speaker.

This time i chose not to use a BT module. For the first time, I worked with a potentiometer for the volume control and used a Sure 2x8w amp. If you can't tell I really like the Sure amps and products. The enclosure I made from 3/4" MDF, the grill is 1/2" MDF and the back is Mahogany I had it left over from the other build and it went really well with the front grill cloth cover.

I think it turned out really well. I am very pleased with how it turned out and will probably make one that houses a set of OSs. I still need to finish the back panel. I did take pics of the build and will post some of those tomorrow. For now here some pics of the finished product.

Last edited by Gordy; 07-15-2014, 02:10 PM.
    "A dirty shop is an unsafe shop, if you injure yourself in a clean shop you are just stupid" - Coach Kupchinsky

The Madeleine
    The Roxster
    Swopes 5.0
    Acoustic Panels
    Living Room Make Over

Re: 2nd Boom Box Project - "The Roxster"

Very nice!

Comment

Wow you're just cranking them out

रेतुर्न तो थे स्रोत
      return to the source
      leviathan system thread
      deadhorse thread
      shockwave build thread

instagram :: greywarden_13

in war, victory . . . in peace, vigilance . . . in death, sacrifice.

Comment

Originally posted by greywarden View Post
        Wow you're just cranking them out
        Once I have the plans down they go together pretty quick.

Here are some of the build pics. I did the electronics first to test the amp any my input and power layout. As I stated earlier, this was the first time I have used a volume control and I had to work through the experimentation of that.

"A dirty shop is an unsafe shop, if you injure yourself in a clean shop you are just stupid" - Coach Kupchinsky

The Madeleine
        The Roxster
        Swopes 5.0
        Acoustic Panels
        Living Room Make Over

Comment

Building of the box.

The Madeleine
          The Roxster
          Swopes 5.0
          Acoustic Panels
          Living Room Make Over

Comment

Building the back panel.

The Madeleine
            The Roxster
            Swopes 5.0
            Acoustic Panels
            Living Room Make Over

Comment

Mock Up

The Madeleine
              The Roxster
              Swopes 5.0
              Acoustic Panels
              Living Room Make Over

Comment

Really nice! I like the guitar amplifier look!!

Comment

Really nice! I like the guitar amplifier look!!

Comment

Getting ready for initial assembly and pre-mounting the crossovers to they go in easier during final assembly

The Madeleine
                    The Roxster
                    Swopes 5.0
                    Acoustic Panels
                    Living Room Make Over

Comment

Routing the edges and fitting the electronics - volume control and Sure 2x8w amp

The Madeleine
                      The Roxster
                      Swopes 5.0
                      Acoustic Panels
                      Living Room Make Over

Comment

Covering in Tolex. One thing that is not new to me is coving boxes. Going back to my 12v days, I have used ozite (auto carpet), vinyl, tweed you name it. It was a little tricky getting the grill cloth done. If you notice in some pics it is not straight and very wavy. I did remove my initial application and recovered it using a different technique. The latter worked very well. The grill cloth really has no stretch and since it has lines in the pattern they need to be as straight as possible.

Dynamat Roller for FTW

Using the metal corner pieces allows the covering of the box to be very forgiving. I chose the corner pieces that wrapped inside the corner. This covered up the Tolex seam as lon as the grill/back panel was recessed no more that 1/4". The bottom seam was tricky. I have never fully covered a box, only covered what would show. I watched a great video done by Reliable Hardware that outlined how to cover and cut the seam. Also in my trip to the local guitar center I got a better idea of how the finished product should look.

The Madeleine
                        The Roxster
                        Swopes 5.0
                        Acoustic Panels
                        Living Room Make Over

Comment

The grill. This was a tough one. Like I sated earlier, no stretch. This was the first attempt. The grill is held on via 8 thread inserts. These were countersunk but there is no need for that. The screws that hold these on go through the baffle. Everything in the box is made to be removable and serviceable if need be. And of course it is painted black as the grill cloth is pretty transparent.

I could not have even thought about completing this part of the build without my Senco 10XP upholstery stapler. The staples hold very well are only 1/4" deep and are of course removable for when you have to redo something...like the grill.

The Madeleine
                          The Roxster
                          Swopes 5.0
                          Acoustic Panels
                          Living Room Make Over

Comment

Time for the electronics. Since I use so many of the them I ordered the spacers, screws and washers in bulk. heck of a dollar savings and less trips to the Depot. I also found these cool retention washers made out of nylon. Those really are great once the screws are inserted in the part and when they are flipped over the nylon spacers stay intact. Countless min of time was saved using these. First time making crossovers as well.

Everything has its place, all wires are cut and soldered to length I also used cable clamps to hold down as much of the wire as I could.

The Madeleine
                            The Roxster
                            Swopes 5.0
                            Acoustic Panels
                            Living Room Make Over

Comment

Beautiful project! Howard

Comment

Working...
                              X