X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jtheisen521
    replied
    Re: Making my AviaTrix MLTLs

They look great, love the look of the Purpleheart. I built a similar pair except I used Bubinga for the baffles. Mine had some initial boominess also but was able to remediate with more stuffing, now they sound great. I believe Curt's advice was to start with about 1 lb and adjust from there. As I recall, ended up with about 1-1/2 lbs in each before I got them sounding just right.

Leave a comment:

• JoshuaC2U5H
    replied

I've come to realize that, Wolf, and have made some adjustments to make it work for me a little: overdampened the tower a bit, moved away from wall when listening, EQ'd just a touch in iTunes (the culmination of accurate stereophile frequency response massaging, I'm sure) until I can source a mic for my second-hand Pioneer receiver and run the MCACC setup ... see how it fairs. They sound very, very good right now. It seems to be a shame to run MCACC on them because everything else is voiced pleasantly to my ear—I'd just like to dial down the octave where the TL/port start supplementing the active drivers. I tried manually adjusting the two-band EQ to lower the bass, but I think the MCACC will be more precise. I'd love to just let the passive crossover do its job as-designed, but since I'm renting my house at the moment I don't want to tailor component values to match my listening environment just yet.

Thanks for all the help: hopefully the next picture post will be finished pics, but that may be a while.

Leave a comment:

• Wolf
    replied

Originally posted by JoshuaC2U5H View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]52641[/ATTACH]
    FWIW, I found the MLTL version to be a bit tubby inherently. You'll likely need more stuffing than designed to reduce that.
    Later,
    Wolf

Leave a comment:

• Dewmiester
    replied

There is also a crossover option for different room placements.

Leave a comment:

• JoshuaC2U5H
    replied

Thanks for the replies, guys. I attached a quick sketch of my listening area—it's not condusive to achieving greatness. My first steps tonight are to add substantial stuffing (I have about 1/2 of the 4 lb bag from PE left) and try toeing them in a bit. One problem, as you'll see, is I have very limited space (and a very accepting GF that loves good music!) to move them out from the wall, or away from eachother. They are about least 7 ft away from each other, center-to-center on the drivers, but that's about as much as I can get. Just throwing it out there if that affects your toeing in suggestion, JDC. Only one way to find out!

Keep in mind:
    • Lots of hard surfaces (giggity)
    • Immidiate early reflection from right tower off bathroom door
    • Wall immediately behind TV/speakers stops after the left tower, openening up to the staircase going upstairs (there's also an window in the wall above the TV open to the staircase) (see post #14 above)

Click image for larger version

Name:	room.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	1162741

Leave a comment:

• JDCrae
    replied

One thing I found with my Core's was toe-in dramatically changed bass response. Before toeing in the speakers a bit, I kept getting boomy bass to the sides, and no impact or clean bass center stage. Slight toe in changed mine in a huge way, might be worth a shot.

Leave a comment:

• Dewmiester
    replied

They turned out great.
    Man that's a big port.
    Did you stuff them per Curt's website directions.

Leave a comment:

• matt996
    replied

Nice job! I like how you did the contrast between the upper and lower purple heart baffles over the boxes.

From my limited knowledge/reading, your symptoms sound like not enough stuffing density... I think many TL designs use a density of 0.75 lb/ft3 over the first 2/3 of the line... which is actually quite a bit of stuffing.

Leave a comment:

• JoshuaC2U5H
    replied

Wow.

So I guess there's a positive to having months in between builds: going back to crap speakers in the meantime makes the reveal of the newly-built speakers more extravagant and impressive. I just hooked the Aviatrix up yesterday morning and spent all day fiddling and listening. They would have been up and running Saturday, but I snapped two steel wood screws off in the Purpleheart trying to mount the drivers ... this wood really is a bitch to work with. The holes for the hardware were predrilled, too, almost too big, and they still snapped the heads off.

Working with an exotic, dense, gummy hardwood ain't all it's cracked up to be, especially in my lightly-equipped shop. A fixed speed, 20 year old router meant my bit speed was way too fast, burning bits/wood which made the Purpleheart gummy, using bits that weren't perfectly sharp which didn't compliment the blazing fast bit speed very well, and generally just not knowing what I was getting myself into. My brother had worked with it in his knife making for handle material, but nothing of this scope: his warnings were too light-hearted.

But they came together, and they sound FANTASTIC!! I'm getting a good amount of detrimental "boominess" in the 80-200 Hz department (not measured, just using iTunes EQ), but with that region attenuated a bit, the bass sounds very clear and concise. My GF and some friends that auditioned them were pleased with their performance—I, on the other hand, am ecstatic.

So to fix my boomy bass problem, here is where I'm starting:
    • Near wall placement with about 6" of space available to move out
    • Running off 100 W receiver (Pioneer VSX-820) in Large mode, no EQ, crossed at 50 Hz (I'm unable to turn the crossover completely off, have to investigate)
    • Stuffing is on the light side, about the same density from the top until about 12" from the bottom of the tower, where is it open with no stuffing
    • All test albums are 320 Kbps or better MP3 and some FLAC uncompressed stuff, too: Last of the Mohicans soundtrack, Daft Punk "Discovery", Jethro Tull "Aqualung", Tommy Emmanuel "Endless Road", The Infamous Stringdusters "Let It Go", Delta Spirit "History From Below" ...
    • Listening environment is mostly hard surfaces, unfortunately: hardwood floors with a small area rug under couch, room is medium sized (~10 x 12 ft) with 8 ft ceilings, open to kitchen and stairway

Things I'm going to try:
    • Bring speaker out from wall (already tried with no improvement, not much change in sound, can't keep pulled away from wall for extended periods due to space)
    • Add more stuffing, try stuffing different ways. This is were I think the most change can be made: I pulled all the stuffing fairly loose before putting it inside, so I think the overall density could be upped a bunch, especially behind the drivers. I also kept the density fairly uniform from top to bottom, and I've read that decreasing the density while going down the TL is best, with very little to no stuffing in the crossover/port section at the bottom. I'll just have to experiment with this.
    • Fiddling with the EQ/receiver some: I could have a setting that's a bit off on my receiver

Things to finish on the towers:
    1. Add a 1/2" or 3/4" roundover to the rounded and vertical edges of the Purpleheart portions of the baffle
    2. Flush mount the ports and ND140-8s
    3. Seal the Purpleheart
    4. Paint the MDF portions; still undecided on surface texture and color
    5. Add 1-2" to overall height using feet or something

That's pretty much it! Enjoy some horrible cellphone pictures of them in rough form:

Name:	20141215_091023.jpg
Size:	332.8 KB
ID:	1162735

Name:	20141215_091042.jpg
Size:	683.0 KB
ID:	1162736

Name:	20141215_091055.jpg
Size:	696.5 KB
ID:	1162737
    Last edited by JoshuaC2U5H; 12-15-2014, 02:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JoshuaC2U5H
    replied

Thanks Dew, I appreciate it. I chose the Avi since I had already built and loved my brother's vented TriTrix bookshelves but wanted to change it up and upgrade a bit, too. I also have barely seen any build of it—seems a shame that Curt and Paul put all that work into its design. I love the ND140-8's capless cone and large rubber surround, and their silver metallic color will go great against the contrasting Purple Heart.

I only wish I could have heard them before I built—being in central MD, I don't seem to have a lot of DIYers around, or any local meets that I can find.

Leave a comment:

• Dewmiester
    replied

I like the AviTrix plans.
    Haven't seen many builds .
    Will be watching this one, can't wait to hear how you like them.
    They're looking good so far.

Leave a comment:

• JoshuaC2U5H
    replied

Name:	20141206_170131.jpg
Size:	531.1 KB
ID:	1162590

Name:	20141206_170308.jpg
Size:	530.8 KB
ID:	1162591

Leave a comment:

• JoshuaC2U5H
    replied

Quick mockup (port portion will have radius on top to match)

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1406680228496.jpg
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	1159483

Leave a comment:

• JoshuaC2U5H
    replied

Another of the braces

Name:	20140727_132549.jpg
Size:	301.5 KB
ID:	1159413

Got the bottoms of the 3/4" purple heart baffles routed how I like. 7.5" diameter arc.

Name:	20140727_170833.jpg
Size:	402.5 KB
ID:	1159414

Leave a comment:

• JoshuaC2U5H
    replied

More progress today...

Ended up doing 1/2" roundover on the braces because I didn't have a 3/4" one, haha. Silly gansito. Hand sanded afterwards. A lot of effort put into them even though I'll be sealing the enclosure up for no one to see!

Name:	20140727_094219.jpg
Size:	417.4 KB
ID:	1159409

Name:	20140727_100047.jpg
Size:	412.1 KB
ID:	1159408

Name:	20140724_184752.jpg